How many hours per week at your first job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hours worked per week at first job?

• Total voters

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for all the young staff out there.

I'm not asking for "what I wish I worked" - I'm asking for what you actually work.

Please also state your affiliation: academics vs. private vs. military vs. anything else I might have forgotten.

Poll prompted by discussion about life after training - I said I didn't see myself working less than 60 hours a week the first two years out of training, and my non-medical friend was horrified :)

Members don't see this ad.

This is for all the young staff out there.

I'm not asking for "what I wish I worked" - I'm asking for what you actually work.

Please also state your affiliation: academics vs. private vs. military vs. anything else I might have forgotten.

Poll prompted by discussion about life after training - I said I didn't see myself working less than 60 hours a week the first two years out of training, and my non-medical friend was horrified :)

Im baffled...where are you going to work after training exactly???
No clue as to where you are getting your info from, I would guess it will be far less.

Government including county hospitals, military and VA hospitals are standard 40 hour work weeks. Most including 10 week vacation packages, but a bit less for active duty mil.

Many people hitting HMOs these days are opting for 80% time packages, which is about 32 hours a week.

Private prac varies, my experience is usually 8 or 9am start and a finishing between 3-5pm. Many private pracs have elaborate vacation packages of up to 20 weeks off a year.

Things vary so much tho I dont doubt at all there are poor SOBs working 60+ hours a week tho right out of training. Doesnt suprise me. For 60 hours/week of straight work, I would charge around 150K/mo, so I doubt anyone could hire me.

What about call? And getting used to the new work environment/LIS, and showing cases around, and preparing for tumor boards?
What about all the things that residency/fellowship didn't prepare you for?

And what about academics?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im baffled...where are you going to work after training exactly???
No clue as to where you are getting your info from, I would guess it will be far less.

Government including county hospitals, military and VA hospitals are standard 40 hour work weeks. Most including 10 week vacation packages, but a bit less for active duty mil.

Many people hitting HMOs these days are opting for 80% time packages, which is about 32 hours a week.

Private prac varies, my experience is usually 8 or 9am start and a finishing between 3-5pm. Many private pracs have elaborate vacation packages of up to 20 weeks off a year.

Things vary so much tho I dont doubt at all there are poor SOBs working 60+ hours a week tho right out of training. Doesnt suprise me. For 60 hours/week of straight work, I would charge around 150K/mo, so I doubt anyone could hire me.

How much is the salary for this job? Sounds sweet to me. That's 5 freaking months of vacation. Sounds too good to be true.

How much is the salary for this job? Sounds sweet to me. That's 5 freaking months of vacation. Sounds too good to be true.

About 75% what it would be if they weren't so over staffed as to allow 20 wks vacation.

IF I remember correctly, reasonably nice location close to water (not ocean, inland delta area), 20 weeks of vacation was around 180K I think, you could also go essentially part time for 32 weeks of vacation (what I was interested in) and it was in the 120K range. Fully benefitted (as in health/dental and 401K) for BOTH positions. Cost of living was so so, maybe 450K for a new 4bedroom home, but with that package you could almost live anywhere including Truckee/Tahoe, Monterey or the Central Coast..hell, Mexico for that matter.

Indeed was true, was funny because I interviewed for the job in a truckstop dive diner somewhere off I-5.

If money is not your focus, if you are lucky enough to have no student loans and you are single with a relatively low cost of living and absolutely no desire to drive a BMW 6-series, then IMO one of the "part time-like" (they are technically really full time gigs in groups that place a massive emphasis on quality of life) are the way to go. Spend 2-3 months in San Sebastian, La Barraso and the Baeleric Islands living in rental cottages, then zip over to your permanent residence in Carmel....etc..