How many hours/week are certain residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thebeyonder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beginning the application process.
I am interested in finding out how
many hours certain residents have to work
per week. I am leaning towards the EM, but
would appreciate information on any of the
tracks. I am married and am expecting a
child soon, so I am worried about being
able to have a relationship that will not
be decimated by working too many hours.

------------------
tb

Members don't see this ad.

beyonder;

The first year of residency in almost any area is gonna be very busy (with the possible exception of psych or PM&R). You'll have a good lifestyle after residency in ER, i.e.: shift work, no call. Residency is another story... It may get better each year of residency, but you'll be very busy and be taking call, particularly on surgery, medicine, OB/Gyn, and peds rotations.

There are ways to share a residency position (i.e.: 1/2 time position) but you'll have to find someone to share it with, usually you'll work hard anyway and many programs discourage this. Contact individual programs or NRMP for more information.

Hi...

A few other resources might give you the informtion you're seeking, although as the other poster noted, current residents are often your best, and most reliable, bet on the subject of hours worked.

FRIEDA has information on each program participating in the match. This info is provided by the programs themselves, so you might consider taking some NaCl with it, but it will give you an idea of what to expect. You can reach it from the AMA home page (http://www.ama-assn.org)

Another interesting site is that of Washington Univ in St. Louis (http://www.wustl.edu). They have nice succinct descriptions of the major specialties, including number of hours worked and salaries.

Finally, the AMA also has such data on each specialty (I recall seeing it cited in Iserson's book). You might check further with them.

Bear in mind that your hours as a resident will most certainly be longer than those as an attending and that even as a junior attending, you will most likely get the ?ndesirable"shifts. I'm not sure about EM, but other more "female friendly"specialties have part-time or shared residencies. You might look into this if of interest to you.

The following references might also be of interest...

New Physician, 1995; 44:40-4. From here to maternity.

Carr et al. Relation of family responsibilities... Ann Int Med, 1998; 129:532-8.

Frank, et. al. Career satisfaction... Arch Int Med, 1999; 159:1417-26.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only speak for an ER residency at a particular program but I hope that this info helps.
PGY-1
1 month Anesth (no call), 1 month OB/Gyn (no call, but shift work, 2 months ED (no call) 1 month Med (q4) 2 months Trauma surg (q3) 1 month CCU(q4), 1 month Peds (q4, 1 month Peds ED (no call, shifts). 1 month elective and 1 Orientation month.
The hours could be worse, but you learn alot in a short amount of time. Some months are easier than others. In the ED we do 23 10 hour shifts.
PGY-2
7 months ED, 1 month PICU (q4) 2 months Ortho (q3) 1 month ICU (q4) 1month CCU (q4)
PGY-3
8 months ED,1 month Peds ED, 1 month admin, 2 months Elective.
As the years go up the shifts go down but the hours and responsibility go up.
Hope that helps
DRC

Hi,

I have a few reviews written by residents regarding their experiences (including hours) of their respective program in EM. Just click on "review/rate it" to read their reviews.

Click here!!!!

Regards,

------------------
Adrian Zai
Scutwork.com

[This message has been edited by SW-Adrian (edited 08-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SW-Adrian (edited 08-29-2000).]