How many interviews are given in January or early February?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smashingdude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question and I know it is really dependent on the applicant and the program. Nevertheless, I want to know the chances of receiving interviews in January or early February before the Rank Order List is uploaded.

The reason is that I have be somewhere from January on wards (job-related contract and restriction), and can't afford to travel again to US to give interviews; or to take a leave since I already have taken that for the next 2 months.

How often programs sent out invitation in January? Do you get a decent number or just a few programs here and there?

Thanks for your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question and I know it is really dependent on the applicant and the program. Nevertheless, I want to know the chances of receiving interviews in January or early February before the Rank Order List is uploaded.

The reason is that I have be somewhere from January on wards (job-related contract and restriction), and can't afford to travel again to US to give interviews; or to take a leave since I already have taken that for the next 2 months.

How often programs sent out invitation in January? Do you get a decent number or just a few programs here and there?

Thanks for your opinions.

January: Lots
February: Essentially none

What field are you talking about as the flexibility of interview scheduling will vary widely (ex - medicine programs often interview multiple times per week for months, plastic surgery programs often interview only 1 or 2 times all year)

Reactions: 1 user
Agree that January is a busy month for interviews especially given the December holidays making many faculty unavailable during that time. I've seen interviews the first week of February (and someone I'm sure will pipe up and state they had an interview mid February) but they are not nearly as frequent then.

Agree that January is a busy month for interviews especially given the December holidays making many faculty unavailable during that time. I've seen interviews the first week of February (and someone I'm sure will pipe up and state they had an interview mid February) but they are not nearly as frequent then.

I would also say that even in just the past few years it seems like things are shifting earlier, at least in our field. November is now an extremely busy month, and used to be a virtual deadzone. I wonder if this is due to the earlier release of the MSPE.

Reactions: 1 users
I would also say that even in just the past few years it seems like things are shifting earlier, at least in our field. November is now an extremely busy month, and used to be a virtual deadzone. I wonder if this is due to the earlier release of the MSPE.

I think so, as that's when we changed.

When I was a resident, no one even offered interviews before the Deans letter was released on November 1.

January: Lots
February: Essentially none

What field are you talking about as the flexibility of interview scheduling will vary widely (ex - medicine programs often interview multiple times per week for months, plastic surgery programs often interview only 1 or 2 times all year)

Thank you all for the reply. I really appreciate all the input.

I was talking about IM specifically.

How many programs actually send out invitations in January? Very few. January is a very busy month for interviews, but you'll generally get the invites far in advance. As long as you respond fairly quickly to invites and slots are available, you could theoretically front load your interview schedule and knock off 15 interviews in November and December. The general interview timeframe I've seen is mid/late October to the first week of February.

Respond to invites as soon as they come in. Make sure your phone, at the very least, is set to vibrate whenever you get an email.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha and now Dean's letters get released Oct 1st...pretty soon we'll have to turn in our applications in July like med school.

Moving all Interviews up a bit is better. The feel of missing an interview (and not getting it rescheduled) because of snow...:(