How many interviews is enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dujingshu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
prioritize your schools and schedule interviews in that order, placing less desirables later in October/November.

If Oct 16 comes around and you have an acceptance - withdraw from schools you would not attend over your acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd attend every interview you can until you get an acceptance. Only then would I start cutting interviews and withdrawing.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd attend every interview you can until you get an acceptance. Only then would I start cutting interviews and withdrawing.
Basically this. I had a fairly heavy interview load, and ended up attending 7 total. Didn't get in anywhere until traffic day, and I regret zero of those interviews. What if the one I'd skipped had been my only in?

Reactions: 4 users
13 interviews and it's not even September....

Reactions: 8 users
**please don't quote**

I've been very fortunate to receive 13 interviews so far in this cycle. I'm very grateful for these opportunities and don't want this to come off the wrong way. However, I am struggling with finding the time and finances to schedule all of them. I know the general wisdom is 3 interviews = 1 acceptance. For those of you who received a large number of interviews, did you attend all of them? If you didn't, how did you decide which ones to attend?
Congrats!! :D

Reactions: 1 users
until you get that first acceptance letter

take stock of your strengths and weaknesses. Are you a confident, likeable person who can communicate effectively? If so, you may be able to trim some of those interviews. If not, go to every single one until you get an offer.

Are these a mix of MD/DO? DO schools make offers shortly after interviews, so you could have one soon. MD schools don't start till october 15th i believe, so that kinda sucks.

take stock of your strengths and weaknesses. Are you a confident, likeable person who can communicate effectively? If so, you may be able to trim some of those interviews. If not, go to every single one until you get an offer.

Are these a mix of MD/DO? DO schools make offers shortly after interviews, so you could have one soon. MD schools don't start till october 15th i believe, so that kinda sucks.

He should try to break the record for most acceptances, then he can extort the waiting list for movement.

I would go to every single interview I get, should I get any.

I think my motivation is different than most people's. I have places I want to go the most, but the school I go to (assuming more than one acceptance) is going to be the school that I can go to for the cheapest. To know what that's going to be, I'd have to get accepted as many places as possible, which means interviewing as many places as possible.

That one interview you don't take might be the place you could go to for $10k/year after need based aid and scholarships. You don't know until you get the aid letter. What's another $500+ dollars in interview costs if you could save, say, $80k over the course of your education?

Attend every one you can. Be realistic about your school list though and your chances at each school. I wound up going on 11 interviews in my cycle. It was exhausting but what if none of the first ten schools offered me a seat.

If you offered me 100 interviews, I would break my head to attend 100 of them unless some desired school has already offered me an acceptance letter.

Reactions: 1 user
What's considered an early interview slot? A school gave me an II but their earliest date was Oct 13th..

Attend every one you can. Be realistic about your school list though and your chances at each school. I wound up going on 11 interviews in my cycle. It was exhausting but what if none of the first ten schools offered me a seat.
Eh. I declined one today. Probably going to decline a few more as it gets closer/past Oct. 15.