how many letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 3 physicians, one of them a DO, willing to write me a letter of rec. Although the actual number varies, most schools would like 3 letters total: 2 from science profs, and 1 from a DO. Some more. Some less. Would it hurt if I sent additional letters or should I try to stick to what the schools want? I appreciate your feedback.

Peace

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same ?. I am in your exact situation. I believe that I am going to stick strictly to what the school wants, until I here otherwise.

My school has a premed committee that requires 7, yes SEVEN letters of rec (3 science, 2 non-science, 2 character). They send it off as part of their composite package. I don't think DO schools get annoyed b/c its part of the whole package.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear ya! It's tough though because the 2 MD's told me that they will write me excellent letters and I just started shadowing the DO. I gave the DO a copy of my AACOMAS and he seems really cool. He likes me alot too, so I'm not worried about his letter. I just don't know what to do with all of these offers for letters. I guess I'll use the DO's letter for all my DO schools and I'll have to pick between the other two for my MD schools. Although, they can both write me a letter for SIU because that school require 4 letters. I appreciate your feedback. Good luck.

I think I'll email a couple schools to see how they feel about additional letters. You know...get the info from the horse's mouth!

SEVERAL of the secondaries I got said "Please do NOT send more than the required amount..."

If they wanted 2 letters, I sent 2.

Stick to what they want. Your application isn't the best time to start pissing people off.

Wait until you find out what you're getting for loans...then make some noise. :)

Good luck to all.