How many of you watch medical TV shows?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I watched House back when it was on, and I got hooked on Grey's Anatomy for a while, until it got completely ridiculous. I just enjoyed these shows because I like a good drama. My favorite medically-related show ever was Scrubs. Soooo funny!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that this show has not been on for a longggg time but I used to love Trauma: Life in the ER. It's one of the things that got my hooked on medicine. There are still reruns on some channel, don't have cable though :/

Emily Owens is pretty terrible... but Michael Rady is so awesome............. >_<

Members don't see this ad :)
I've watched Grey's, House, Scrubs, and a little ER. While all have their faults, I do enjoy them. But to be fair, I watch a lot of TV :oops:

I have a problematic obsession with Grey's. I only started watching it like less than a year ago and I have since seen every episode a good 7 times each. It can get a little ridiculous at times but overall it is extremely entertaining. As for learning anything? I have learned a little bit, but it's generally isolated incidents or recognizing something that happened on the show. Because of Grey's I knew what a teratoma was. Also not too long ago there was a baby born with an omphalocele that was on the news. I actually knew what that was from Grey's as well. Cristina Yang is my spirit animal, what can I say. But other medical dramas/shows? I've seen almost every episode of Emily Owens, I saw the premiere of Do No Harm, couldn't stand Scrubs, and House bored me.

I have a love/hate relationship with Grey's Anatomy. On one hand, I love the drama, sex, and political awareness, but on the other hand, I think it over-glorifies surgeons and gives people unrealistic expectations of medicine. So yea... definitely a love/hate relationship.

I watch The Mindy Project, and I love it!

Every single one of my friends has agreed with me that I will be Mindy Lahiri in 12 years, haha.
Obsessed with Grey's Anatomy. That show inspires me to keep trucking through ochem.

NY Med seems good. Unless they're breaking HIPPA laws and overly dramaticizing the stories...

I watch Greys and I think it's great. Come at me bros

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

First yr med student here..
Have watched greys anatomy since 8th grade and then house and scrubs in college.
House is one of the many reasons i chose to go into medicine.

NY Med seems good. Unless they're breaking HIPPA laws and overly dramaticizing the stories...

since this has been bumped, it seems like the time to point this out... from the NYTimes

Dying in the E.R., and on TV Without His Family’s Consent

I've enjoyed A Young Doctor's Notebook & Other Stories It is available on Amazon (I saw it on Netflix but it might not be there anymore).

"Jon Hamm and Daniel Radcliffe star in this wry comedy drama about a young doctor's fledgling career as he begins his new life in a small, backwards Russian village. Based on the semi-autobiographical short stories by Bulgakov, it tells the story of the young medical graduate's turbulent and brutal introduction to his practice, narrated by his older, more experienced self."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I watch a ton of TV, I love following TV shows, I'm such a nerd OMG.
I love House MD.
House is such a heartthrob, complicated, delicious character..... ( delicious as in complicated and human and sensitive, not in any gross sense).
Nnnnn :love:

since this has been bumped, it seems like the time to point this out... from the NYTimes

This is my biggest problem with medical dramas, whether they are fictitious or not. The dramatization and exploitation of the suffering and death of others for entertainment just does not sit right with me. Patients aren't just props to showcase sexy doctors and residents and their lifesaving skills.

Reactions: 1 user
I've enjoyed A Young Doctor's Notebook & Other Stories It is available on Amazon (I saw it on Netflix but it might not be there anymore).

Jon Hamm and Daniel Radcliffe star in this wry comedy drama about a young doctor's fledgling career as he begins his new life in a small, backwards Russian village. Based on the semi-autobiographical short stories by Bulgakov, it tells the story of the young medical graduate's turbulent and brutal introduction to his practice, narrated by his older, more experienced self.
Oh wow this actually sounds really fascinating from a historical perspective. Thanks for sharing!

Jon Hamm and Daniel Radcliffe star in this wry comedy drama about a young doctor's fledgling career as he begins his new life in a small, backwards Russian village. Based on the semi-autobiographical short stories by Bulgakov, it tells the story of the young medical graduate's turbulent and brutal introduction to his practice, narrated by his older, more experienced self.
I loved that show. Darkly funny at times and crushingly brutal at others. Definitely worth the watch.

Nope. All I watch is Law & Order.

Reactions: 1 users
Not a med student, but long time lurker of pre-med boards.

Can't believe no one's mentioned Dr. G: Medical Examiner. I know it's more like a documentary and not a fictional drama, but it's super fascinating! Last time there was a marathon on cable, I was up until 4 or 5am watching. Honestly, if I had the smarts to get accepted into med school, I'd probably go the medical examiner route.

Trauma: Life in the ER was my jam as a kid! My mom always had that show on.

These days when I get a chance {which is rare} I'll marathon Grey's Anatomy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Doc Martin, a BBC comedy/drama about a snarky British GP with hemophobia

Reactions: 1 users

"Jon Hamm and Daniel Radcliffe star in this wry comedy drama about a young doctor's fledgling career as he begins his new life in a small, backwards Russian village. Based on the semi-autobiographical short stories by Bulgakov, it tells the story of the young medical graduate's turbulent and brutal introduction to his practice, narrated by his older, more experienced self."

That story is awful! And a total hippa violation! I could never work in such conditions, being filmed all the time..... Outrageous!

HOUSE. As you can tell from my profile picture, I am a bit obsessed haha

Grey's :love:
Although I go through periods of not watching it when they kill off my favorite characters (shonda rhimes you savage).

For anyone who has stopped watching Grey's, it's gotten really good again so pick it back up!!

Well I like the anime Monster, if that counts as a medical show. Otherwise never got into them (maybe scrubs briefly, because of the snappy dialogue).

Well I like the anime Monster, if that counts as a medical show. Otherwise never got into them (maybe scrubs briefly, because of the snappy dialogue).
Monster's dope af. Honestly didn't expect anyone to have seen it!

I recently just binge watched the two seasons of Night Shift that are on netflix. Terrible medicine, but definitely addicting.

I am somewhat ashamed to say that I watch Grey's. It is a guilty pleasure of mine.:p Despite the fact that it is extremely over the top and completely unrealistic, I can't stay away.

I also watch Chicago med, which is a slightly more realistic as a medical drama.

I guess entering the medical field ruins these kinds of shows for me, since I spend a lot of the time cringing at everything that is inaccurate. This is why I enjoy legal dramas, because I am almost completely ignorant of that field.

I've actually thought about Scrubs, but I have a very weird sense of humor and rarely, if ever, laugh at things I see on television. The only show that made me laugh on a consistent basis was The Office. Should I give Scrubs a shot? Is it pure comedy or good storyline too?