How many people drop out of Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1AO KTG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heard a girl today talking about how competitive CRNA programs are and how medical school dropouts have applied to these programs. Just wondering how true that really is. If one were to drop out would they have a hard time getting into other grad programs?

Members don't see this ad.

The attrition rate is approximately 4%. Yes, if you dropped out (due to failing, cheating, etc) you'd probably have a hard time getting into another graduate program.

Heard a girl today talking about how competitive CRNA programs are and how medical school dropouts have applied to these programs. Just wondering how true that really is. If one were to drop out would they have a hard time getting into other grad programs?
I would say that she was blowing smoke, or on the chronic herself. And who drops out of medical school? We had 2 expelled for cheating, one repeat 1st year due to personal and academic problems, and one leave 4th year to pursue a lucrative business venture.
CRNA mills are pumping out CRNAs as fast as they can. They're a couple years from killing themselves. They're betting it ALL that they will get 50 state independent practice soon AND that many hospitals will adopt that system AND that patients and surgeons will find that acceptable. While they wait and hope, salaries will fall as competition for jobs increases, which is happening now BTW. We hire about 1/yr and are ultra selective. We used to get 2 or 3 good candidates/yr. This year we have 9 or 10, and several are from other parts of the country. The best programs may be competitive, but anyone smart enough to think that they can get into medical school would have little trouble getting into a CRNA program, and I doubt there is much competition at all at the expanding number of CRNA mills. All the while CRNA quality will fall as well. Great plan AANA.:thumbup: They're so hell bent on pushing for independence that they're selling out the majority of their members who are very happy with, and well compensated by, the existing anesthesia care team model.
The only hitch to dropping out and going CRNA is the nursing degree, which can be accelerated, and a year or 2 of work to qualify for admission. It's a good alternative career to consider, but give it a good look first. No one knows what's going to happen to their salaries in the future. Of course the same is true everywhere in medicine. If you want to be a nurse, be a nurse, if you want to put in the required time and have a much broader depth of education become an MD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that she was blowing smoke, or on the chronic herself. And who drops out of medical school? We had 2 expelled for cheating, one repeat 1st year due to personal and academic problems, and one leave 4th year to pursue a lucrative business venture.
CRNA mills are pumping out CRNAs as fast as they can. They're a couple years from killing themselves. They're betting it ALL that they will get 50 state independent practice soon AND that many hospitals will adopt that system AND that patients and surgeons will find that acceptable. While they wait and hope, salaries will fall as competition for jobs increases, which is happening now BTW. We hire about 1/yr and are ultra selective. We used to get 2 or 3 good candidates/yr. This year we have 9 or 10, and several are from other parts of the country. The best programs may be competitive, but anyone smart enough to think that they can get into medical school would have little trouble getting into a CRNA program, and I doubt there is much competition at all at the expanding number of CRNA mills. All the while CRNA quality will fall as well. Great plan AANA.:thumbup: They're so hell bent on pushing for independence that they're selling out the majority of their members who are very happy with, and well compensated by, the existing anesthesia care team model.
The only hitch to dropping out and going CRNA is the nursing degree, which can be accelerated, and a year or 2 of work to qualify for admission.

great post

The only hitch to dropping out and going CRNA is the nursing degree, which can be accelerated, and a year or 2 of work to qualify for admission. It's a good alternative career to consider, but give it a good look first. No one knows what's going to happen to their salaries in the future. Of course the same is true everywhere in medicine. If you want to be a nurse, be a nurse, if you want to put in the required time and have a much broader depth of education become an MD.

Interesting. And left 4th year? Thats crazy. Musta been one hell of a venture.

As someone who wants to be an anesthesiologist... CRNAs scare me. I hope surgeons and hospitals prefer the MD/DO anesthesiologist over the CRNA...

As someone who wants to be an anesthesiologist... CRNAs scare me. I hope surgeons and hospitals prefer the MD/DO anesthesiologist over the CRNA...

No man, they plan on making CRNAs the new Anesthesiologist by 2025. Something like doctorate of crna anesthesia or something like that

No man, they plan on making CRNAs the new Anesthesiologist by 2025. Something like doctorate of crna anesthesia or something like that

The sad thing is those doctors of nursing will still be calling on the "real" doctors when s*** hits the fan in the OR. CRNA's can handle the bread and butter stuff but not the complicated stuff for which they receive minimal training.

That is such BS! I really like Anesthesia and it is one of the few that really interest me and plan on pursuing if I get accepted to MD/DO.

There was a guy from the medical school which is a part of my BS/MD program that dropped out his third year. He just left. With so much debt. Nobody knows where he is either. Not sure why they decided to tell us that during orientation though.

I personally only know of 2 we lost last year. One dude just dropped after like 3 weeks of M1...and one guy failed M1 year. There may be one or 2 more. None this year so far.

Just because the AANA plans this doesn't mean it will happen. DNP's with their "anesthesia residencies" can have fun getting full malpractice coverage.

Going through the prerequisites, MCAT, and interviews just to quit, weak :lame:

Just wondering, do you guys think that the incidence of dropping out is more prevalent among foreign nationals, minorities, DOs, and Caribbeans?

Just wondering, do you guys think that the incidence of dropping out is more prevalent among foreign nationals, minorities, DOs, and Caribbeans?
Yes. There's a link in the first post.