How many people in Pharmacy School (or are a Pharmacist) are in it for money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fast Force

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there really a lot of people that are in pharmacy school just for the money? I'm going to be in University in 2 years, and I would hate to not get accepted into Pharmacy school because of those people. Do they eventually quit because they don't like the work?

Members don't see this ad.

We'll put it this way: If pharmacy paid the same as pastry school, I'd be a pastry chef right now, because that's what I really want to do. But I can't pay the bills adequately enough as a pastry chef, so I'm in pharmacy school.

Does that mean I'm doing it just for the $? No. Absolutely not... are many of my classmates? Meh, hard to say. I think it's a false dichotomy if you phrase a question like that, because there's probably something about the work as a pharmacist that any student could think of to make it more important than just money.

Members don't see this ad :)
We'll put it this way: If pharmacy paid the same as pastry school, I'd be a pastry chef right now, because that's what I really want to do. But I can't pay the bills adequately enough as a pastry chef, so I'm in pharmacy school.

Does that mean I'm doing it just for the $? No. Absolutely not... are many of my classmates? Meh, hard to say. I think it's a false dichotomy if you phrase a question like that, because there's probably something about the work as a pharmacist that any student could think of to make it more important than just money.

I'm not saying you or anyone in this forum is; I just know that there are people who get into pharmacy school and are only in it for the money. It makes it harder for people that really want to be a Pharmacist.

I'm not saying you or anyone in this forum is; I just know that there are people who get into pharmacy school and are only in it for the money. It makes it harder for people that really want to be a Pharmacist.

Why would it be any harder?

If the job market for commercial airline pilots was much better and if I didn't fit the profile of a homegrown terrorist, then I'd be a pilot.

But yeah, if the pharmacy salary went down, then I wouldn't do it. Basically, when I was graduating high school, I went to one of those sites that lists average salaries, looked for things above $100K starting and something I liked, and ended up picking pharmacy.

Before I knew what a pharmacist made I was on the fence about it. Debating on research in science or something in medicine. Pharmacy looked interesting to me. The money tipped me over into the pharmacy field only because it seemed like a profession that had a "research feel" to it and they got paid enough that I would be willing to work with people as well.

When you are weighing professions on the scale, any small thing can tip an even balance

I can assure you that people in it for the money also really want to be pharmacists.

Yeah, there might be quite a number of people who are in it for money.

But if people who only work as pharmacists for money and hate patient interactions will likely suffer miserably everyday at work, considering all the challenges that pharmacists have to face daily from customers, corporate office, insurance, and legal responsibilities.

Rest assure that there are also many pharmacists as far as I know who really care about their patients and stay updated to maintain quality of patient care.

Yeah, there might be quite a number of people who are in it for money.

But if people who only work as pharmacists for money and hate patient interactions will likely suffer miserably everyday at work, considering all the challenges that pharmacists have to face daily from customers, corporate office, insurance, and legal responsibilities.

Rest assure that there are also many pharmacists as far as I know who really care about their patients and stay updated to maintain quality of patient care.

Is there some underlining assumption that I am not familiar with that says people who are in it for the money are not good at being pharmacists? I feel like this thread assumes that the two are mutually exclusive. I wonder how many people are being honest with themselves about their true motivations.

I get the feeling that their are a great number of people on SDN who think they went into pharmacy only to "help people". I suppose it is a coincidence that the field pays six figures? Lucky for them I guess. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a lot of people want to do something in health care and a career that pays the bills. I would love to do a few other professions because it would be about passion, but I think I might have a harder time paying the bills. For me, I wanted to do something in health care and have interactions with patients (the nice ones) to help them better their health, but didn't want to get my hands dirty.... so strike MD, DMD and almost every other health profession. That left pharmacy. And while I do like my job, I hope that someday I'll have all the debt eliminated and enough money I saved to start a business in my passion.

If the job market for commercial airline pilots was much better and if I didn't fit the profile of a homegrown terrorist, then I'd be a pilot.

But yeah, if the pharmacy salary went down, then I wouldn't do it. Basically, when I was graduating high school, I went to one of those sites that lists average salaries, looked for things above $100K starting and something I liked, and ended up picking pharmacy.

LMFAO. It's kind of sad, but I did the exact same thing. I wouldn't be pursuing this profession if I didn't have other genuinely strong non-monetary interests in it though.

Like many here, I am not a pharmacist solely for the money, but I wouldn't have been one if it paid next to nothing. If I wanted to work for 30K a year, I could follow my dreams and get a PhD in linguistic anthropology. However, money has never been the major factor for me, so among reasonably well paying professions I chose the one I thought I would like the most - pharmacy - rather than go into something that would pay more. And it worked out great.

That's how I would approach career choices. Either you chose the best paying out of the range of jobs you think you would like, or the one you think you would like the most out of the range of jobs that pay more than your personal minimum threshold. :)

Is there some underlining assumption that I am not familiar with that says people who are in it for the money are not good at being pharmacists? I feel like this thread assumes that the two are mutually exclusive. I wonder how many people are being honest with themselves about their true motivations.

I get the feeling that their are a great number of people on SDN who think they went into pharmacy only to "help people". I suppose it is a coincidence that the field pays six figures? Lucky for them I guess. :rolleyes:

I agree with you on this one. Here are the top reasons why people choose a career...the MONEY, the prestige, the job security, the flexibility, the lack of stress, and their personal interest. The HIGHER the items are the more likely a person will choose the job.

Of course if one of the items is extremely HIGH then it could tip the scale too...but generally speaking human beings choose a job with the highest amount of the above 6 items.

Notice helping people has nothing to do with why a person would choose a job! (sorry, I am just being honest here...I am a blunt person) Now, sure most people (myself included) wouldn't mind helping anyone, but the six above items better be MAXIMIZE or you can forget about anyone ever doing the job!!! (again, just being honest here)

99.9999999999% of people went into healthcare profession b/c of the above 6 items...helping people or not really didn't matter. And that really is a bad excuse that people use...if you like helping people so much you can work as a janitor...that's helping the public clean up their bathrooms!!! Working at McDonalds you are helping people get their lunches!!! Every job helps people...so that really is a stupid excuse to use.

I'm in it for the babes. The ladies looooove the white coat.

I once worked with a pharmacist who was going to chiropractic school, and he told about a classmate who was in his freshman year for the 4th time; he wanted to be a doctor so women would stand in line and take numbers to have sex with him. :idea: :confused: :laugh: This was a school whose main criteria for admission was that the tuition check was good.

When I decided to be a pharmacist in the early 1980s (it took almost 10 years to actually get there; you know how life gets in the way sometimes) and I found out what the salaries were, I knew this was gonna be tough. At the time, the average starting salary was in the mid 30s which was considerably higher than most bachelor's degree people made straight out of the chute. It had reached 50K by the time I graduated in 1994.

And for me right now, it's zero. :thumbdown:

Should have gone to MD school. :smuggrin: J/k :D
:laugh:

Nah chicks dig optometrists. Optometrists have the best beer goggle prescriptions.
Noted. If pharmacy doesn't work out for me, I know where to look next.

I once worked with a pharmacist who was going to chiropractic school, and he told about a classmate who was in his freshman year for the 4th time; he wanted to be a doctor so women would stand in line and take numbers to have sex with him. :idea: :confused: :laugh: This was a school whose main criteria for admission was that the tuition check was good.
:laugh:
That's awesomely pathetic.

Are you still sending out resumes with just a list of places and dates? :D

The place where I most recently applied didn't even ask me for my resume at all! I half-heartedly filled out an online application late one night, and they called me the next morning to set up an interview - which I did 2 days later. :highfive: I did bring it with me, but the personnel director said the application was adequate, information-wise.

They haven't let me know one way or another, but this hospital does something that very few hospitals do, and the chief pharmacist was delighted to find out that I have experience in this.

That's awesomely pathetic.

When I was in pre-pharmacy, one of my general chemistry classmates was a totally nerdy guy who said he wanted to be a pharmacist "so I can have a Porsche by the time I'm 30."

He got something like 20% on each of the first two exams, dropped the class, and switched his major to business.

I am in it for the money. I can't sugar coat it without lying. My loans are already paid off, so it isn't for that purpose.

When I was in High School, I wanted to do acupuncture. I still have loads of literature about it in my house and still remember a lot about the theory, points, etc. But when I at the age of 16 told that to my mother, she asked me how I'd pay the bills. So, I decided to look at salaries online of popular professions and picked pharmacy.

Looking back, I could've been satisfied with doing physical therapist assistance or nursing from community college.

I LOVE the major switching that went on after Gen Chem!!!

People at LIU thought I was crazy for not dropping out after I got a D in General Bio I and a C+ in Gen Chem I. In retrospect, I probably should have transferred to a CUNY school where I would pay like only $8K/year instead of the $30K/year that LIU was charging and done my prerequisites there.

I am in it for the money period...I have a 150,000 in loans... I work 60 hours a week managing a 24 hour high volume CVS and taking every shift possible at other stores in 3 different districts... I've been at it for 2 years since graduating...I feel like I have completely forgotten everything I learned in school though I pretty much coasted through school anyway taking the nonstop multiple choice tests and doing these completely ridiculous projects that will never be used in practice... All I know now is CSI, PSI, script volume, PCI, tech budgets, triple S and whatever else my district manager feels like driving into my brain... Stressed out? He'll yeah... But I love it even if I go 13 hours without eating 5 days a week...and why do I love it? The money! Before I graduated I had none, now I have a new luxury car, an investment account and ability to buy whatever the he'll I want even with 2000 a month in loan payments...so yes. I am not afraid to say I do itforthe money...work is work- might as well get paid for it!

I am in it for the money period...I have a 150,000 in loans... I work 60 hours a week managing a 24 hour high volume CVS and taking every shift possible at other stores in 3 different districts... I've been at it for 2 years since graduating...I feel like I have completely forgotten everything I learned in school though I pretty much coasted through school anyway taking the nonstop multiple choice tests and doing these completely ridiculous projects that will never be used in practice... All I know now is CSI, PSI, script volume, PCI, tech budgets, triple S and whatever else my district manager feels like driving into my brain... Stressed out? He'll yeah... But I love it even if I go 13 hours without eating 5 days a week...and why do I love it? The money! Before I graduated I had none, now I have a new luxury car, an investment account and ability to buy whatever the he'll I want even with 2000 a month in loan payments...so yes. I am not afraid to say I do itforthe money...work is work- might as well get paid for it!

And a year from now, we're going to read about how you crashed and burned. :rolleyes:

You don't enjoy being a Pharmacist at all? Yeah, the money will make me happy too, because you can buy other things to make you happy, and go to work and enjoy it. It'll help pay the bills, etc. I'm still in grade ten though, I have to go to University, then pharmacy school but from all the research I'm doing, even on this forum, I'm going to enjoy the work, (and yes, the money).

Haha, would it be wrong for me to say you are my new hero? ;)

You don't enjoy being a Pharmacist at all? Yeah, the money will make me happy too, because you can buy other things to make you happy, and go to work and enjoy it. It'll help pay the bills, etc. I'm still in grade ten though, I have to go to University, then pharmacy school but from all the research I'm doing, even on this forum, I'm going to enjoy the work, (and yes, the money).

Grade 10?! First let me say how nice it is that you are trying to plan so far ahead. Second, you have so much opportunity to get pharmacy experience! You have sooo much time to shadow, work, volunteer, etc. I hope you really take the opportunity to do so. Just some unsolicited advice from a stranger on the internet (the best kind!). ;)

If pharmacists made **** then I wouldn't be one. Well, I wouldn't be a retail pharmacist at least. I'm not too big on hospital pharmacy or clinical pharmacy either. The only area of pharmacy that I am really passionate about is nuclear pharmacy but it's going to be a while before I get a job doing that. I'm more concerned with starting a family, buying a home, etc. for the time being. I really didn't know what I wanted to do when I went to college. There wasn't anything that I was particularly interested in. Pharmacy seemed like the smart option with the pay and job security. Let's face it. A job is a job, whether you hate it or not. I'm just happy that I have one, making the kind of money I'm making. If pharmacists had to take a massive pay cut I'd go back to school to be a cardiovascular perfusionist or something.

Grade 10?! First let me say how nice it is that you are trying to plan so far ahead. Second, you have so much opportunity to get pharmacy experience! You have sooo much time to shadow, work, volunteer, etc. I hope you really take the opportunity to do so. Just some unsolicited advice from a stranger on the internet (the best kind!). ;)

I've been lurking/posting on SDN since 11th grade and barely did any of those things. :( My personality wasn't as outgoing back then.

I agree with you on this one. Here are the top reasons why people choose a career...the MONEY, the prestige, the job security, the flexibility, the lack of stress, and their personal interest. The HIGHER the items are the more likely a person will choose the job.

Of course if one of the items is extremely HIGH then it could tip the scale too...but generally speaking human beings choose a job with the highest amount of the above 6 items.

Notice helping people has nothing to do with why a person would choose a job! (sorry, I am just being honest here...I am a blunt person) Now, sure most people (myself included) wouldn't mind helping anyone, but the six above items better be MAXIMIZE or you can forget about anyone ever doing the job!!! (again, just being honest here)

99.9999999999% of people went into healthcare profession b/c of the above 6 items...helping people or not really didn't matter. And that really is a bad excuse that people use...if you like helping people so much you can work as a janitor...that's helping the public clean up their bathrooms!!! Working at McDonalds you are helping people get their lunches!!! Every job helps people...so that really is a stupid excuse to use.

:poke::bang:+pity+...in that order.

While money is nice, there is a saying, "money is the root of all evil." I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life, but over time has been around here and still is, for a long time. I've personally witnessed pharmacists work tons of hours. I even worked a staff pharmacist that nearly hit 200K a few years ago. Eventually it all catches up with you. Enjoy your youth. Consider moderation and getting back to the things you love to do. I have seen numerous pharmacists kill themselves with tons of hours to "crash and burn." Unfortunately, most don't cut back until they finally realize this through negative health affects or until they are at the point of physical and mental exhaustion.

3 questions... Do you guys think students would still go to pharmacy school and pay the tuition rates now if they had the following scenarios:

1. Pay drops to 100K/year and you have to fight to get a job.

2. Pay drops to 80K/year

3. Pay drops to 60k/year.

Or where do you think we would hit a cutoff where students would no longer consider the career?

Thanks, stranger (LOL JK)

I'm taking a co-op program, half a day to work at a Pharmacy in Shoppers Drug Mart. The first 3 weeks are training, so I have no clue what I'm in for :/ I thought we could only volunteer or shadow if we were over 18 or in Pharmacy school. Thanks :D

I love CVS too- no matter how much they make my life difficult by forcing me to embrace programs that cause customers to flip out or cutting my tech hours to a point that doing anything other than basic checking the md script(no time for true DUR/counseling) impossible... Maybe I'm brainwashed because I did it as an intern and still do it as a pharmacist and would do it regardless of the pay... That said, I do like the nice paycheck every 2 weeks... I work hard- I look at my fellow pharmacists who think they are getting screwed by recent changes in the profession and laugh...yes it's stressful but things could be a lot worse! If you don't like Cvs or retail- leave- plenty of people will be happy to fix your store...

David Lee Roth once said, "Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a big new boat and you can sail right up next to it."

:p

David Lee Roth once said, "Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a big new boat and you can sail right up next to it."

:p

Yeah :D Some people just want the money to make them happy, and not the job (giving people info, being a pharmacist). I'm in grade 10 so right now I'm worrying about even getting accepted into university and pharmacy school, because U of Toronto and Waterloo are pretty competitive :/

If I were to tell the truth, I am not into pharmacy to "help people." If I were to give a percentage of reasons, it would be:

00% Helping People
15% Money
10% Lifestyle, Attitude, Professionalism of Pharmacists I have worked with.
75% Structure and Organization of Prescription Drugs and Workplace Management.

The 75% part is the non-vagueness of the material. Very technical and detailed.

Not that I wouldn't like to help people, it's just not one of the factors that led me to Pharmacy. Of course, my backup of becoming a microbiologist suits the 75% of Pharmacy. I just may have to give up the other 25%. :laugh:

For me, I always knew I wanted to work in health care, and struck everything else off the list, one by one. Later, as I got into it, I realized that I really did want to be a pharmacist, not a nurse, doctor, physical therapist, etc.

3 questions... Do you guys think students would still go to pharmacy school and pay the tuition rates now if they had the following scenarios:

1. Pay drops to 100K/year and you have to fight to get a job.

2. Pay drops to 80K/year

3. Pay drops to 60k/year.

Or where do you think we would hit a cutoff where students would no longer consider the career?

I'd do it for 60K, but not at current tuition rates. All joking about which profession gets more action aside, I would have gone to med school rather than take on a similar amount of loans for pharmacy school and be so hard pressed to pay them back.

I was growing up watching how my parents' career went. Dad is PhD engineer, mom is RPh. Dad was doing good while in corporation but as soon as he retired, he became a regular old retiree at age 65. My mom has her own pharmacy and still making over six figures and going strong at age 70. I picked pharmacy eventually and am making six figures too working at supermarket pharmacy. When she retires, I'd take over her pharmacy and will keep on making six figures. I need good income to support my sports and art activity.

Last edited:
I was growing up watching how my parents' career went. Dad is PhD engineer, mom is RPh. Dad was doing good while in corporation but as soon as he retired, he became a regular old retiree at age 65. My mom has her own pharmacy and still making over six figures and going strong at age 70. I picked pharmacy eventually and am making six figures too working at supermarket pharmacy. When she retires, I'd take over her pharmacy and will keep on making six figures. I need good income to support my sports and art activity.

Wish my mom or dad was a Pharmacist. I have no one to look up to, but I guess (being the first person to soon go to University in my family) others can look up to me when I am a Pharmacist. :)

Wish my mom or dad was a Pharmacist. I have no one to look up to, but I guess (being the first person to soon go to University in my family) others can look up to me when I am a Pharmacist. :)

Being a first gen college grad rocks. :thumbup:

Make your folks call you Dr. FastForce, your mom will love it!

being a first gen college grad rocks. :thumbup:

Make your folks call you dr. Fastforce, your mom will love it!

Well there are pros and cons of being the first to go :/

Last edited:
Well there are pros and cons of being the first to go :/
You get all of the stress and pressure and then all of the glory. ;)

Here's a con that I think people don't take into account: if they do become the highest earner in the family, then they will probably feel compelled to take care of their parents if things take a turn for the worst. For example, if my mother is laid off from her job, which is quite possible if there are any more layoffs within her company, then I feel like I will have to take care of her for a year or two until she can find something else, which would amount to $2,500 a month- her current "take home'' pay. This could happen as early as next March! :eek:

You get all of the stress and pressure and then all of the glory. ;)

Definitely true! My dad things I'm going to college right now (in Canada) but I'm switching my high school courses to a higher level. I'm not even sure if he can afford it :( My brother will be going to college (next years hes in grade 12). Pharmacy school is also expensive, and I might not make it. My dad will probably try and stop me :( I'll have a lot of problems, and after I finish Pharmacy school (at least I hope so) I'll try and pay my dad back asap.

Here's a con that I think people don't take into account: if they do become the highest earner in the family, then they will probably feel compelled to take care of their parents if things take a turn for the worst. For example, if my mother is laid off from her job, which is quite possible if there are any more layoffs within her company, then I feel like I will have to take care of her for a year or two until she can find something else, which would amount to $2,500 a month- her current "take home'' pay. This could happen as early as next March! :eek:

Yup, my dad won't have a lot left when I'm done school. So I'll be paying him back even when he takes a turn for the worse, haha!

I love CVS too- no matter how much they make my life difficult by forcing me to embrace programs that cause customers to flip out or cutting my tech hours to a point that doing anything other than basic checking the md script(no time for true DUR/counseling) impossible... Maybe I'm brainwashed because I did it as an intern and still do it as a pharmacist and would do it regardless of the pay... That said, I do like the nice paycheck every 2 weeks... I work hard- I look at my fellow pharmacists who think they are getting screwed by recent changes in the profession and laugh...yes it's stressful but things could be a lot worse! If you don't like Cvs or retail- leave- plenty of people will be happy to fix your store...

You love your job, that is a good thing! Many retail pharmacists are miserable. You work hard, love what you're doing, and make good money. It is win-win.

Everyone wants money. The things are, how hard are you willing to work for it and will you enjoy what you will do for the rest of your life?

Everyone has reasons why they are going into pharmacy. Yes I want a decent amount of money. But I also want to do something I will enjoy.

Let's face it. As much as it kills me and many others to know and say this, you cannot live in this world without a decent amount of money.