How many practice problems??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drewsuf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many practice problems everyone does each day?? I'm trying to figure out what would be a good amount. Any advice??:barf:

Members don't see this ad.

I try to do exactly 1542.356 practice problems, and correct exactly 771.178 of them (exactly half). Then I continue to read 456 words from nytimes.com and .75 of other websites.

Man why does it matter. Who you competing against but yourself?

I felt that practice is only worth the time if you combine it with review, I only did practice problems once a week and reviewed the rest of the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to get really comfortable with answering questions with passages, since I wasn't, so for the first couple months of study, I did 1 passage from each section per day. For a couple weeks closer to the test, I did about one untimed section a day (and a full-length test once a week).

I had a lot of hand-me-down study guides, so I had more practice passages than I could possibly do to begin with.

Good luck! :D

I'm studying for the 6/15 MCAT now. Perhaps I'm being a bit ambitious, but I'm trying to divide up all the passages from the TPR Hyperlearning science workbook over this month. That probably means about 3 passages each day from bio (83 passages total), phys (60 passages), chem (91 passages), ochem (45 passages), and then 3 a day from EK's 101 Passages VR book. I'm not going to start ochem passages until I really study the EK Ochem book though.

Sad thing is, I get almost every Bio question right, I usually get 0-2 questions wrong per VR passage, but Chem and Physics are a nightmare (Chem moreso). Yikes.

I'm also doing as many Chem and Phys questions from the 1001 series as possible, but really just focusing on the sections that I'm not scoring to0 well in on the AAMC practice tests. (I.e., topics that I got 0% to less than 75% right on).

I don't think there's any magic number to practice passages. Just do them until you feel more comfortable with the format (I figure it'll help me not fall for silly mistakes on the real thing if I make those mistakes while practicing), to help get used to applying the concepts to more unfamiliar material in passages, and to just help nail down the material. Good luck.

I agree with above. Especially since that day is getting nearer, I would focus more on the problematic parts of your regimen such as CHEM and ace that while not letting yoru other scores fall.

I'm not sure if the TPR Big Science Book is rep of AAMC since the passages I find to be a bit on the too easy side.