How many programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.evil

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The poll thing gave me an idea so what the heck I might as well take advantage of this wonderful forum!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I'm impressed by the number of people who ranked more than 13 places on their rank list. Was this out of fear of not matching or did you guys really feel like you would be happy at any of those places (or maybe a little of both)?

It seems like a lot of people did quite a few interviews too. I was a little too poor to do that many but definitely don't regret it. I was tired of interviews by number 4.

I went to 15 interviews, primarily because I just didn't have much of a clue where I wanted to go and wanted to see as many programs as I felt was feasible (for me). This turned out to be a good thing, since I only really felt like I could rank about 1/2 of the programs I went to and be happy. Given that I'm applying in general surgery, I feel pretty confident that I ranked more than enough programs.
Incidentally, I thought I had done some pretty good homework prior to applying and accepting invitations, but ended up being quite surprised at some of the programs I was impressed by and those I chose not to rank at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
where do you all wanna go for gen surgery?

I guess my list is a bit eclectic looking as I had very different reasons for liking different programs, but here are the top five (go figure):

1. Michigan
2. Vanderbilt
3. Wisconsin
4. Utah
5. UT-Southwestern

Anyone else (general surgery) care to share?