How many schools did you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep thinking i applied to too few which really scares me.

Then I hear of people with lower stats than me getting into lots of schools or at least have lots of interview invites and people with higher stats who have wno acceptances yet. I know stats are only a small piece of the application and i also realize you need to have a wide range of schools...but still.... :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Psycho Doctor said:
I keep thinking i applied to too few which really scares me.

Then I hea rof people with lower stats than me getting into lots of schools or at least have lots of interview invites and people with higher stats who have wno acceptances yet. I know stats are only a small piece of the application and i also realize you need to have a wide range of schools...but still.... :scared:

what state are you from? I'm from California . . .about 28-30 schools. . waiting for 5 more secondaries (or rejections) . .all from UCs.

neuronerd said:
what state are you from? I'm from California . . .about 28-30 schools. . waiting for 5 more secondaries (or rejections) . .all from UCs.

WHAT????????????? 28-30???? Sadly and anxiously i say i've only applied to 14 at this point (and no UCs). Do I need to apply to lots more? :scared: :eek: And I'm from GA. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
passthesashimi said:
i did 23, and im from cali. i think i should have done more :[.

why do you think you should have done more than 23?

ok i'm REALLY getting nervous now. I figured i could defintely get into my state school, and hopefully something else..i don't know; am i approaching this all wrong? I'nm an August MCATer and didn't even finish my AMCAS until after Labor Day.

Psycho Doctor said:

ok i'm REALLY getting nervous now. I figured i could defintely get into my state school, and hopefully something else..i don't know; am i approaching this all wrong? I'nm an August MCATer and didn't even finish my AMCAS until after Labor Day.

well isnt the avg somewhere like 15 outside ca?

yeah --

I've definitely heard the avg. is lower outside of CA -- but I'm from CA so I sucked it up and applied to 30. Getting into a UC feels like playing the lottery and the odds of getting into a school as an out-of-stater is also super low, so what choice do we CA kids have?

debiafly said:
yeah --

I've definitely heard the avg. is lower outside of CA -- but I'm from CA so I sucked it up and applied to 30. Getting into a UC feels like playing the lottery and the odds of getting into a school as an out-of-stater is also super low, so what choice do we CA kids have?

why do Cali students apply to so many? do the standards at each vary so much? if they'd accept you at one isn't it probable they'd accept you at all?

debiafly said:
yeah --

I win... 50 Schools. CA Applicant...

I remember one week doin 30 secondaries straight. LoL. Good times. Good thing about applyin to a lot is you keep you options open and for me IT's ALL ABOUT SECURITY. I was really determined NOT to have to reapply. A lot of CA people mite side with me about throwin all your eggs in a basket and seeing what happens. :rolleyes:

CharlieVN said:
I win... 50 Schools. CA Applicant...

I remember one week doin 30 secondaries straight. LoL. Good times. Good thing about applyin to a lot is you keep you options open and for me IT's ALL ABOUT SECURITY. I was really determined NOT to have to reapply. A lot of CA people mite side with me about throwin all your eggs in a basket and seeing what happens. :rolleyes:

50 schools????? whoa whoa whoa..can't imagine it. how can you write 50 good scondaries, and 30 in one week??? yikes!!!

congrats on Wake! so do you think it will be a long process still ahead for August first time MCATers for Wake?

Psycho Doctor said:
50 schools????? whoa whoa whoa..can't imagine it. how can you write 50 good scondaries, and 30 in one week??? yikes!!!

congrats on Wake! so do you think it will be a long process still ahead for August first time MCATers for Wake?

Simply looking at my MCAT score (esp verbal) I had my doubts abt my chances. One thing to keep in mind for wake is IF you get an invite for interview the adcom will explain that your scores are thrown out and the interviewer only knows the other sides of your application. And in order to receive an invite, if you don't have strong stats like myself, I think a strong secondary will do wonders. LiveStrong. :D

CharlieVN said:
Simply looking at my MCAT score (esp verbal) I had my doubts abt my chances. One thing to keep in mind for wake is IF you get an invite for interview the adcom will explain that your scores are thrown out and the interviewer only knows the other sides of your application. And in order to receive an invite, if you don't have strong stats like myself, I think a strong secondary will do wonders. LiveStrong. :D

Congratulations on your acceptance!!!!

I am a former ca-resident, now a non-resident of any state...and i have only applied to 18. Does that help any?? :) I tried to apply to schools that don't prefer in-state and applied to schools just above, just below, and within my stats range. Am waiting for responses from a couple of schools post-interview and still have a couple more scheduled...crossing my fingers!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Psycho Doctor said:

DON'T GET NERVOUS. did you apply to GA schools? CA people have it really bad if they are average (like me). I am almost sure that you have a high chance to get into your state school (because I think you said your stats somewhere else of I remember correctly). I think that you absolutely cannot compare your numbers to CA, sorry to freak you out . . I just replied in case you were from CA. I think that you are having an episode but once you get that interview you will be delighted. I think that range, not quality matters. If you think you shot too high . . .apply to a couple more that are lower.
My first, and only as of right now, interview is from Albany and that's the "easiest" school to get in with my stats on the list. And I'm an April MCAter. don't freak.. good luck

CharlieVN said:
I win... 50 Schools. CA Applicant.. :rolleyes:

Nope. I win..53 beeotch!!!

17 schools, at first I was only going to apply to one, Tufts. Luckily, my friends talked some sense into me because Tufts just keeps sounding worse and worse. I regret that I didn't apply to any mid-west or osteopathic schools. I'm kinda like tightrope walking without a net.

sdnstud said:

Damn sdnstud. The amount of money we spent on this process. We could probably buy pretty nice new car. Maybe a used Lexus too...wow... :eek:

i applied to 37 and im a ny state resident..do what u gotta do..

sdnstud said:

Do you really think you needed that many? Your stats are pretty good...how many acceptances do you have so far? I submitted secondaries to 30 schools and I think I went overboard. I'm from CA too.

CharlieVN said:
Damn sdnstud. The amount of money we spent on this process. We could probably buy pretty nice new car. Maybe a used Lexus too...wow... :eek:

yea i know.. i figure if i applied to 50+ schools, i'd get multiple acceptance (hopefully). If i get multilple acceptance, I'd have the choice of going to a school with the best financial package. The best financial package by itself should save me thousands a year...so compared to the money i put down for the applications...it's well worth it.

wow...

people tell me I am crazy. I applied to 44.

NY Resident

JohnBasedow said:
Do you really think you needed that many? Your stats are pretty good...how many acceptances do you have so far? I submitted secondaries to 30 schools and I think I went overboard. I'm from CA too.

0 acceptance....1 interview :(

my life = bad luck. thus 53 schools :mad:

passthesashimi said:
i did 23, and im from cali. i think i should have done more :[.

I think you're fine with what you did, it would be an outrage if you didn't get into a good school w/ your profile.

JohnBasedow said:
I think you're fine with what you did, it would be an outrage if you didn't get into a good school w/ your profile.

thx for the support. i still can't help thinking that the whole thing is so random though.. someone that i met at an interview got into ucsd but waitlisted at uci, what's up with that? this process has way too much chance involved haha :p.

from AZ and applied to 9 schools

sdnstud said:
0 acceptance....1 interview :(

my life = bad luck. thus 53 schools :mad:

relax man, you just got the august mcat scores and did quite well. your gpa's very good, too. now you'll start getting interviews. if you're down all the time, it's going to show in your interviews. be positive. i know it's cliched, but you can't let this waiting process and anxiety get you down. you'll be going through this every few years once you're in medical school, so think of it as a means of getting ready for that type of grind and stay confident.

Psycho Doctor said:
WHAT????????????? 28-30???? Sadly and anxiously i say i've only applied to 14 at this point (and no UCs). Do I need to apply to lots more? :scared: :eek: And I'm from GA. :cool:

14 schools is a decent number. You have a good gpa from an awesome school, good ECs, and you seem to have done well on the MCAT. You should definitely get into your state school... and you probably get into many others. So relax (i know... easier said than done... but seriously, you're a good applicant). It's just going to take a while for you to get interview invites. Which schools did you apply to? I've been complete at some schools for over 2 months, and I'm just receiving an interview invite...

tinkerbelle said:
Which schools did you apply to? I've been complete at some schools for over 2 months, and I'm just receiving an interview invite...

Thanks, basically some NYC schools, Chicago schools, a couple southen schools in addition to GA schools. I know if i post them people will tell me i'm nuts and where are my safeties...eek.

Anyone know which Chicago schools are really hard to get into out of state? New York schools? How about Emory...i'm a GA resident, but it's private, so i guess being a resident doesn't help any there.

neuronerd said:
DON'T GET NERVOUS. did you apply to GA schools?

Medical College of Georgia and Emory, which I guess doesn't even count.

neuronerd said:
If you think you shot too high . . .apply to a couple more that are lower.
My first, and only as of right now, interview is from Albany and that's the "easiest" school to get in with my stats on the list. And I'm an April MCAter. don't freak.. good luck

congrats. what can i still apply to that i stand a good chance of getting into?

frantic983 said:
Chill,
You will be fine. I applied to 17 and wish that I would have applied to fewer. I have no offers yet, but I remain positive.

Look at it this way, where else would you consider applying? An out of state school that only accepts 1 or 2 oos applicants a year? Or maybe one of those schools that get 10,000 applicants a year?
which out of state schools accept more than just state applicants? anything in Chicago or the east coast?

Psycho Doctor said:
which out of state schools accept more than just state applicants? anything in Chicago or the east coast?

Psycho - Why do you always ask these questions? Take charge of your own destiny and do a little research. You can borrow an MSAR from the local library or purchase the online edition of US News med school information for only $10 and find out everything you need to know about these schools. I highly recommend the US News info, which is much more than simple rankings; they include acceptance rates for in and out of state applicants, a description of the schools curriculum, average indebtedness for graduates, etc., which is all very usefull info.

Plus, with US News, you can list six schools at a time and compare them - average GPA and MCAT, acceptance rates, distance from home, tuition, % receiving fin aid, student/faculty ratio, class size, etc. Be an informed applicant!

SanDiegoSOD said:
Psycho - Why do you always ask these questions? Take charge of your own destiny and do a little research. You can borrow an MSAR from the local library or purchase the online edition of US News med school information for only $10 and find out everything you need to know about these schools. I highly recommend the US News info, which is much more than simple rankings; they include acceptance rates for in and out of state applicants, a description of the schools curriculum, average indebtedness for graduates, etc., which is all very usefull info.

b/c i thought someone could give me a really quick answer. when i panic i need quick answers. :( yea, i know i suck, thanks for confirming it.

off to get a MSAR book.....

Psycho Doctor said:

Sorry - I tried to convert an .htm file to one I could post on SDN as an attachment, but it didnt work.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Sorry - I'm trying to convert an .html file to pdf to attach to my post. It may take a minute (or it might not work at all )
ah ok, cool

Medikit said:
14 is a good number. Don't worry so much Psycho. :scared:

:scared: :scared:

well i keep seeing others apply to so many. i may add a couple. and i'm concerned that some of these are out of my range (even though people trying to be sensitive tell me i'll get in...what do they know?)

Psycho Doctor said:
well i keep seeing others apply to so many. i may add a couple. and i'm concerned that some of these are out of my range (even though people trying to be sensitive tell me i'll get in...what do they know?)

So add a few schools like Drexel, Temple, Albany, NYMC... these are still good schools, but their average stats are slightly lower.

tinkerbelle said:
So add a few schools like Drexel, Temple, Albany, NYMC... these are still good schools, but their average stats are slightly lower.

yea, maybe i should. i do have NYMC

Psychodoctor, it might relax you to know that up here in michigan people thought I was applying to a TON when I sent in 16. Average here is around ... oh 13 maybe. I know a lot who apply to 8 or 9 and a lot who apply to ~14-15. I've heard of two guys who applied to more than 20 (23 and 24) but they are really rare.

If you are that nervous you could apply to more but its also important to remember to send any new information (or thank you letters for any previous opportunities your schools have given you that declare your interest). It sounds like harassment (dont make it that!!!) but a letter or two during the course of the process isnt frowned upon by MOST schools.

Good luck.

ellia08 said:
Psychodoctor, it might relax you to know that up here in michigan people thought I was applying to a TON when I sent in 16. Average here is around ... oh 13 maybe. I know a lot who apply to 8 or 9 and a lot who apply to ~14-15. I've heard of two guys who applied to more than 20 (23 and 24) but they are really rare.

If you are that nervous you could apply to more but its also important to remember to send any new information (or thank you letters for any previous opportunities your schools have given you that declare your interest). It sounds like harassment (dont make it that!!!) but a letter or two during the course of the process isnt frowned upon by MOST schools.

Good luck.

this board makes me nervous; i wasn't necessarily nervous when i applied or when i talk to most of my friends. They make it sound like i have a chance. lol maybe they are the ones that are nuts. :eek:

Psycho Doctor said:
this board makes me nervous; i wasn't necessarily nervous when i applied or when i talk to most of my friends. They make it sound like i have a chance. lol maybe they are the ones that are nuts. :eek:

I would say that for the most part, most of us on here are the ones that are nuts...I vote for cashews myself...

Psycho Doctor said:

Hey I'm from GA too! Did you apply to MCG? I applied to maybe 10 but my advisor was well a word a couldn't use on here and only sent my letter of rec to 5 of those and I interviewed at 4. Don't worry too much about how many schools others applied to. All that matters is the one that lets you in.

Code Brown said:
I would say that for the most part, most of us on here are the ones that are nuts...I vote for cashews myself...

i prefer peanuts