How many schools should I be applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdtobe?

Reaction score
This thread might be somewhere but I can't seem to find it.
I have average GPA and Higher MCAT scores with a lot of clinical, research, and volunteer experiences. I'm not looking to go to any top programs.

So about how many schools is average?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally about 25-30 is a good number. You should apply primarily to schools for which you're very competitive with just a handful of "reach" schools. In choosing your schools, you should consult the MSAR and pay attention to the in-state and out-of-state acceptance rates. @Goro and @Faha are pretty great at helping SDNers come up with lists of recommended schools; I'm OK at it, but I'm better at saying Yea or Nay to a list that you suggest to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Average is ~15. I'd say 15-20 is safe (if you're not getting in when you apply to this number, you likely won't get in when you apply to 25-30).

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my list so far, any thoughts?

GW
UConn
UMass
Brown
University of southern alabama
University of Illinois
university of kansas
chicago medical school
university of utah

For context, I'm from Rhode Island.

This is my list so far, any thoughts?

GW
UConn
UMass
Brown
University of southern alabama
University of Illinois
university of kanas
chicago medical school
university of utah

For context, I'm from Rhode Island.

You have a lot of state schools. Is there a reason to think that U of Ill, Alabama, Kansas, or Ut is going to show you any love?

You have a lot of state schools. Is there a reason to think that U of Ill, Alabama, Kansas, or Ut is going to show you any love?
I guess not. I don't have a state school and didn't realize IS vs. OS made such a difference.

Look on MSAR. A lot of state schools are 75% or higher instate and those who aren’t in state generally have some strong roots.

RI’s a crappy state to apply from since Brown doesn’t care about in state preference. I grew up there and purposefully switched state residency to VA to have some instate preference.

Look on MSAR. A lot of state schools are 75% or higher instate and those who aren’t in state generally have some strong roots.

Since RI doesn't have a medical school, I think UConn considers RI residents "regional", and so you'll be looked on more favorably than out of region applicants. Brown will also provide some preference.

Since RI doesn't have a medical school, I think UConn considers RI residents "regional", and so you'll be looked on more favorably than out of region applicants. Brown will also provide some preference.
UConn is good to apply to. Also if you are applying to some back up DOs which I tell everyone to do, then UNECOM takes preference from RI as well. Brown does have to take 2 students from RI a year, but generally they consider their undergraduates as part of this requirement.

What are your MCAT scores ? What is your sGPA and cGPA ? Do you have any physician shadowing or clinical volunteering hours ?

People often apply to many schools without taking into account how hard it will be to turn out a high quality, well-written secondaries. This is the main reason why I advise applicants that applying to medical school should be considered a fulltime job from early May thru at least August and likely September. I rarely recommend more that 20-25. Taking on too many can be self defeating as your quality drops off under process of getting all these secondaries out

Do you think that 12 is enough for MD? I have a sGPA of 3.85, a cGPA of 3.90, and a 520 MCAT.