How many schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fat_Albert

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The general consensus is about 20-30 schools if you're attempting for MD, but what if you're strictly focusing on DO schools? I have a strong GPA 3.8+ cgpa, and sgpa and taking the MCAT in the next month, but if I don't get a score competitive enough for MD then I'll just strictly apply to DO schools. Nova would be my first choice since I'm a FL resident and would like to stay close to home.

Also, what is considered late and early for DO applications? I was debating on pushing my mcat to june 30, but wasn't sure if I would be considered late...

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your MCAT.

Generally speaking: below 505ish, apply broadly. Above that, pick a few favorites and a backup or two.

Depends on your MCAT.

Generally speaking: below 505ish, apply broadly. Above that, pick a few favorites and a backup or two.
Interesting. Is june 30 too late of a date to take the mcat? I've read that the do cycle runs longer, but wasn't sure that how big of an affect that has when being considered early or late

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. Is june 30 too late of a date to take the mcat? I've read that the do cycle runs longer, but wasn't sure that how big of an affect that has when being considered early or late

I was in similar shoes last year. The best advice I can give is, apply early. The hype is true, it really does make a difference. if you do not mind me asking, what are you scoring on your practice exams? are you a URM? If you apply in July its not necessarily considered "late" but just know that its a time consuming process and you will have a lot of secondaries to fill out with essays for each school. depending on the amount of schools you apply to and how much time you can devote to applications, this could take a month or more to do.

I am ORM which is why I decided if I don't get a competitive score then there's really no point in even attempting MD since we kind of get shafted by the system. My test scores have not been great, around ~503, but I've been slacking hard. After going through SDN my plan was to submit to one throw away school so the verification process is quicker and then once my mcat score comes in I would start doing secondaries and such. I wasn't planning on applying to too many schools, maybe 10? My test date is june 1st right now, so idk if I should stick to it or push it back since I don't feel prepared at all.

Well if you do not feel prepared I would not rush it. Better to apply with a good score than to apply early with a not so great one. If you think that by taking your mcat on June 30 would be a difference 4-5 points, by all means, do it. I don't know what the rest of your app looks like, but a 3.8 and a 508ish as a URM should get you some MD interviews (considering you apply no later than July). You should be fine for DO. Just focus on getting your practice exams above a 505 consistently and apply. You don't need me telling you this but I'll do it anyway -- quit waisting time, grind hard on your mcat for the next month and a half and you will thank yourself ENORMOUSLY later. Go get it.

My apologies, I read URM. even as a ORM, you should be in good shoes with a 508 and 3.8.

If you score around a 503 with a 3.8+ GPA and decent ECs, apply to a mix of DOs-- target "better" schools with higher MCAT averages for around 45-50% of the apps, and then "lower tier" schools with lower averages for the rest. As long as you score above 500, your GPA will take you far with DO schools.

As far as MD....unless you score 508+ or have something super unique about your app, I wouldn't bother applying to any IS schools other than FSU and maybe FIU. I'm also an FL resident with a similar GPA, good ECs, but a 506 MCAT and only got 1 MD II.

Reactions: 1 users
If you score around a 503 with a 3.8+ GPA and decent ECs, apply to a mix of DOs-- target "better" schools with higher MCAT averages for around 45-50% of the apps, and then "lower tier" schools with lower averages for the rest. As long as you score above 500, your GPA will take you far with DO schools.

As far as MD....unless you score 508+ or have something super unique about your app, I wouldn't bother applying to any IS schools other than FSU and maybe FIU. I'm also an FL resident with a similar GPA, good ECs, but a 506 MCAT and only got 1 MD II.
Ya totally not applying to md schools with a low mcat. Some of my peers have 3.9 and 509-510 mcat and only received one interview from fl schools, curse of being orm I suppose. How early did you apply & do you believe June 30 is too late to take the mcat?

Ya totally not applying to md schools with a low mcat. Some of my peers have 3.9 and 509-510 mcat and only received one interview from fl schools, curse of being orm I suppose. How early did you apply & do you believe June 30 is too late to take the mcat?
I took my MCAT in the end of May, so I applied end of June. I don't think it's too late for DO, as the cycle is much longer.

That's when I took mine. Fine for DO, getting close to on the later side for MD, but would still be okay I think as long as you pre write all your secondaries. Not ideal but whatevs. Better to be prepared for the MCAT