How many students accepted with 7 verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dukee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi: I am waitlisted at penn state and MCP. I have a 3.74 overall, 3.66 science, and 3.85 non science. I have a 10B, 11P, and S writing. I also have a 7 verbal. Has anyone been accepted with a 6 or a 7? I really want to get in and have a lot of stuff? ANy schools should I apply to next year? I have worked at Stanford, Harvard, and now at UCSF doing research. I graduated from Duke last year. I really want to be a doctor and I think this 7 is just killing me. I have retaken the mcat and I know it will not improve. Penn state said the mcat is not a criteria in the process, so I just do not get it!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted this year to several schools.... MCAT of a 7V, 12PS, 12BS... and I had a much lower GPA, about a 3.4 or so....

I was accepted at 5 DO schools and 2 MD and 3 more MD waitlist

AK

can you guys tell me which school?

NSUCOM, PCOM, CCOM, LECOM, NYCOM

Accepted: SUNY UB, NYMC
Waitlist SUNY SB, Downstate, Penn State

Hey I was in the same boat
1st Mcat - 7Vr 10PS 11BS
2nd MCat - 6Vr 13PS 10BS (I choked big time on the verbal )

I got interviews offers with about 12 out of 15 I applied to which included
Pitts, All the SUNY (except Buffalo), MountSInai,Cornell,Yale, Hopkins.Etc

I only went to five of my offered interviews>
Waitlisted at - Rochester
Accept- NYMC, Upstate,Cornell,

So it can be done. I took the 2nd MCats to improve my verbal -but it kindof backfired but it turned out well at the end.
hey atleast you took it again - Just try and make other parts of your app. shine and when you get interviews you are a few steps away from an acceptance. Goodluck

SicVic, I pmed you :clap:

Hi, everyone,

There was a thread a few days ago about being accepted with a 6 verbal -- check it out!

Accepted: Temple, MCPHU, Penn State
High Priority Alternate List: UMDNJ-RWJ
Alternate List: GW
Declined interviews: Univ. Of Cinti, and UMDNJ-Osteopathic
Rejections: Too numerous to list from last year and this year!

I'd say it's not your MCAT.... talk with your advisor - ask for honest input. How are your EC's? Your LOR's? How did you interview? All this plays a part of the process - it's not totally numbers. It's also a somewhat random process too.

By the way, did you call or write Dean Davis since your last post - something abour your Dad being ill? And, I thought I read a post from you being on GW waitlist? What's up with all this? What have you been doing to make yourself a better candidate?

i wouldn't be so sure that your verbal score can't be improved! people told me that i could not bring my 7 in VR up in April 2000, but I took PR, did tons of passages, and brought it up to a 9. when i applied with a 26 MCAT and 7 VR i received one interview and 0 acceptances; but with a 29 MCAT and 9 VR received 7 interviews and 2 acceptances. unfortunately, a lot of med schools place heavy weight on the verbal section. however, as i posted on another thread, one person on the PR discussion board last year got into UCI and UCLA with a 7,11,11 (registered nurse, white male with 4.0 GPA from UCLA), and a friend of mine got in out-of-state to U Minnesota with an 8,11,12. i think it is possible to get in with a 7 if the rest of your app is good, but it is also advisable to talk with the deans of admission at PSU and MCP and keep the idea of retaking the MCAT in the back of you mind just in case. best of luck.