How many times a week in anatomy lab outside of class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many times per week (or hours) do you all recommend we spend outside of anatomy lab? I'm really confused about what is the norm and what is sort of the basic level that is required to do well...

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school not have a scheduled, supervisied anatomy lab time block?

Regardless, it should be dependent on your level of comfort with the structures you're studying.

How many times per week (or hours) do you all recommend we spend outside of anatomy lab? I'm really confused about what is the norm and what is sort of the basic level that is required to do well...

dude, do what YOU need to do.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think you should spend enough time outside of anatomy lab that you get to eat and sleep and attend your lectures...
A lot of schools have scheduled lab time that tends to be "required". Most people do a couple of hours a week on top of that. But as the prior poster suggested, the goal of med school is to learn, and so however long it takes you to be prepared for the practicals is however long you need to spend. There is no gold star for "face time".

I spent zero, because doing anything more than passing for anatomy is a waste of time.

I had antomy over the summer (7 weeks if you take away holidays). I used to spend an hour per dissection reviewing what he done the previous lab day. I used to then meet up with people every saturday to review everything we had done up to that point. I must admit, I felt that our reviews WERE excessive, but I wanted to err on the side of caution.

About just studying anatomy enough to pass, I think that without a good knoweldge of where everything is in the body, it is hard to do well in other subjects. You don't have to become an antomists, but you should know it as well as you can.

Best of luck,

WiscDoc

well since i am a first year, i dont know "what I need to do"...thats why i'm wondering how much people spend outside of class per dissection on average, just to get an idea, a gauge, to start out with...until i figure out what works best for me.

I spent no extra time in the anatomy lab outside of scheduled class time until the week before the final exam. In fact, most of the time my group finished early. Result - I did well in anatomy.

Worst waste of your time is to try to 'learn' the anatomy in the lab. Look over the stuff before you dissect it, review it until you know it well before you go back in after class. Some people spend hours with netter's and their cadaver in the lab, but I never found that the most effective way to learn the material.