how many times is too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many times is too much in applying to med school?

Votes: 1 2.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 15 33.3%

Votes: 19 42.2%

Votes: 4 8.9%

Votes: 1 2.2%

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I

indigoblue

Do you guys think there is a limit to applying to med school? If so, please vote!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should apply unitil you get in if it's what you want. I know someone who applied to vet school 7 times unitil he was finally admitted. I don't he "wasted time" because he continued to work as a lab tech in a state research lab (vet dept) until he matriculated. IMHO, "wasting time" occurs if you do absolutely NOTHING else until matriculation like getting married, buying a house, ect, until after you finish med school in this scenario.

Why isn't there the "apply until you get in" choice? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
dr.z said:
Some schools will only let you apply 3 times.
True, but this is true primarily for top 20 schools only. Besides, I doubt anyone "qualified" to apply to Harvard or Hopkins, wouldn't get in SOMEWHERE within 3 tries.

I have to disagree with the majority and say don't put a time limit on what you want to do. If you want to go to medical school here in the states, then keep applying until you get what you want. Don't give up or settle for something you don't want just because you hit the "applied three times" mark. There are things you can do in the down time that will actually increase your chances of getting into medical school and make you a more competitive applicant for a residency match. For instance, you can pursue other options while you are applying to medical school. You can get a Master in Public Health degree, which is fantastic to have and will make you highly competitive, or any other master's degree for that matter. You can also look into a nursing or physician assistant program while you are applying to medical school. The degree you obtain from either of these programs will increase your chances of getting into medical school because of the exposure and experience you will gain inside the medical community. I would recommend you pursue an academic route during your "down time". It will only help you. Don't give up on medicine, and don't put a number on what you want to do. Living is not about making a paycheck, although having one come in is great. Living is something you do day for day, and there are lots of things you can be doing today that will lead you to what you want to do.

1Path said:
I think you should apply unitil you get in if it's what you want. I know someone who applied to vet school 7 times unitil he was finally admitted. I don't he "wasted time" because he continued to work as a lab tech in a state research lab (vet dept) until he matriculated. IMHO, "wasting time" occurs if you do absolutely NOTHING else until matriculation like getting married, buying a house, ect, until after you finish med school in this scenario.

Why isn't there the "apply until you get in" choice? :confused:

Congrats to your friend...getting into a vet school is even harder than getting into a med school!

MD Rapper said:
But if you want it bad enough and are self motivated, you can go to a number of these foreign schools (maybe a couple DO too (please no flaming)) and just rock your curriculum and boards... then you simply can't be denied.

If anyone has his or her heart to become a doctor, then I would also encourage going to a foreign school or a DO school. It really is a test of your humility and heart.

I know I had to really swallow my pride when telling some of my friends I had to apply to a DO school. And I am someone that has the tendency to not have enough pride! I simply wasn't getting anywhere with my MCAT scores, I felt terrrible around other people who scored in the 30+. To make matters even worse, when my younger sister found out that I was going to a DO school she said, "So your going to a fake medical school?!"

Lord, how I walked into my room and cried for a long time.

And so I am currently where I am right now, going to attend a DO school in the fall. And upon careful reflection, I don't see how the decision I made was a poor one. I really didn't haven't a choice. It hurts going to a "inferior" school because I was an "inferior" student - and too think I worked so hard -somedays I can remember just wanting to scream because I felt life was unfair to me.

If I walk by poor man or women on the street and they want food, we'll eat together at that Wendy's even if it's right next to Jefferson Medical college.

That happened to me once. A homeless man asked me for food while I walked by Jefferson. We went into Wendy's and a lot of those downtown Philadelphia folks gave us some really bad looks. Well, I felt so sad about not going to Jefferson that I didn't care how poorly they thought of me. Depressing? Yes. But at least I made someone happy for a day.

Thinking about it now, maybe its a blessing that there are foriegn and DO schools. I kept examing myself long and hard. I am, I dare say, a fairly upright and moral person.

I can only imagine how I would have felt if the US didn't recognize foreign medical schools and DO schools. I bet a number of us here on SDN wouldn't have a chance at all.

So maybe really is a blessing in disguise. It's one of those: "When the Lord closes the door, he always opens a window" sort of a thing.

Do you think there is a limit to applying to med school? If so, then vote!

No! Limitation vs. Preparation:horns: Why not apply whenever you feel like it?

I think until they get accepted or they get tired of trying...they should just keep on applying. if people want to get in..they will keep on applying year after year, and some of them will be successful. we do have people on SDN that are 4th time applicants.

Great post! I completely agree with you.

Never give up on your dream, especially for just a few extra years. If it's going to save you a lifetime of regrets, then it's definately worth it.

I have to disagree with the majority and say don't put a time limit on what you want to do. If you want to go to medical school here in the states, then keep applying until you get what you want. Don't give up or settle for something you don't want just because you hit the "applied three times" mark. There are things you can do in the down time that will actually increase your chances of getting into medical school and make you a more competitive applicant for a residency match. For instance, you can pursue other options while you are applying to medical school. You can get a Master in Public Health degree, which is fantastic to have and will make you highly competitive, or any other master's degree for that matter. You can also look into a nursing or physician assistant program while you are applying to medical school. The degree you obtain from either of these programs will increase your chances of getting into medical school because of the exposure and experience you will gain inside the medical community. I would recommend you pursue an academic route during your "down time". It will only help you. Don't give up on medicine, and don't put a number on what you want to do. Living is not about making a paycheck, although having one come in is great. Living is something you do day for day, and there are lots of things you can be doing today that will lead you to what you want to do.

I'm on try number four myself. Jimmy Valvano said it best. Don't ever give up. But there is a truth to it. If you give up on yourself, how can you expect to not give up on others?

I am all for second tries and chances, but what about people that are just not that cut out for certain things? Does anyone think that is possible? Also, it doesnt make one a quitter or taking the easy way out if they chose to move on to another field. Not everyone can do the same things.