How many times were you rejected before finally getting accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novus_medicus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the most times you've been rejected by a school before finally getting accepted, and what did you change in your application that you feel caused the institution to change its mind? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Does a voluntary pull-out count?

In that case, I'm batting 0-1. I can still make it to the hall of fame though. After 2 more strikeouts, maybe I need to start worrying.

I (finally) got accepted on my third applicaton cycle. :) The two schools that I got accepted to this time around are both schools that I applied to in '04 and '05. I didn't do much of anything to improve my application between cycle 1 and 2, but I went back to school and got my masters between cycles 2 and 3... which boosted my GPA a bunch.

So.... third time is the charm! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I (finally) got accepted on my third applicaton cycle. :) The two schools that I got accepted to this time around are both schools that I applied to in '04 and '05. I didn't do much of anything to improve my application between cycle 1 and 2, but I went back to school and got my masters between cycles 2 and 3... which boosted my GPA a bunch.

So.... third time is the charm! :)

What did your gpa go up to?

What did your gpa go up to?

My undergrad overall GPA was a 3.4-ish, and my math and science GPA was 3.0-ish. This is 3 years worth of classes (freshman year at my undergrad was pass/fail so no GPA) with a pretty heavy course load . My masters GPA was a 3.72 (soon to be close to a 3.8 when I finish my thesis.....) So I would *guess* this to average out my overall GPA to a 3.5 and my math and science GPA to a 3.3 or so....

I am not trying to sabotage this thread, but check out the "accepted 3rd time around" thread. You will find quite a few people who have reapplied and then got in plus some tips as to what their scores were and what they changed in their apps when they reapplied. :D

I got accepted on cycle number three. Sometime in the coming weeks I'll put together a general re-app advice sticky. If any of you have things that you'd like to share now, (your saga, application tactics, interview pointers), then give them to me via private message (Click on my user name to get the menu option). I'll combine everyone's advice and post if for everyone to benefit.

t important factor for me :)

Last edited:
3rd time for me too. I stayed on another year as a research tech and got my name on a paper. That's about the only difference. Once you get in, you'll realize that the selection process is a crapshoot.

Rejected two years in a row by multiple schools before finally getting accepted this year to two DO programs. Wish I would have applied to them two years ago.