How Medical Schools View Community College Credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amir44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to know how many credits i should take at a community college and then transfer to a 4 year college or does it(taking science courses at community college) have any effect on going to Medical schools ?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally they view it as not being great, but not the end of the world. If you continue your good performance in your 4 year, take upper level bio, then generally you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to know how many credits i should take at a community college and then transfer to a 4 year college or does it(taking science courses at community college) have any effect on going to Medical schools ?

I swear I replied in this thread already..

Take the minimum necessary to transfer and don't take any pre-reqs at CC.

It's really an urban legend amongst pre-meds that medical schools look down upon CC's. Naturally if you're taking all of your course work at XYZ Univ, but every summer session you take the pre-reqs (and ONLY the pre-reqs) at a CC at 3 credits a session, then we'd wonder if you can handle a medical school load.

But two full years at a CC? That's just another college. CC coursework can be just as rigorous as anything at Yale or Stanford.

The only other scenario that we look down upon is someone who takes there pre-reqs 1-2 at a time over several years, with no other coursework. That's someone who also doesn't give much eveidence to us that s/he can handle medical school.

I tell my kids that they can go to any college they want to, as long as the first two years are at the local CC!

When deciding whether or not to take classes at CC, your best bet is to call the school. Don't know which school to call? Run down the list of schools and call their admissions. I did this, and the consensus is that CC is perfectly acceptable. While they're not going to straight up tell me that the Adcoms look down on CC, it should quell some of your fears. For reference, I called to ask whether I can retake courses at the local CC (they said yes, even though I'm still hesitant and just visited another 4-year to inquire about a post-bacc).

Status
Not open for further replies.