How much debt will you be in before you start medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much debt will you have before starting medical school?

• 0- $10,000

Votes: 194 52.9%
  • $10,001-$20,000

Votes: 44 12.0%
  • $20,001-$40,000

Votes: 46 12.5%
  • $40,001-$60,000

Votes: 32 8.7%
  • $60,001-$80,000

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • $80,001-$100,000

Votes: 14 3.8%
  • $100,001-$150,000

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • $150,001+

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters
I'm on the mommy and daddy scholarship, so $0 thankfully.

Members don't see this ad.

I currently have 20k in student loans, which I shouldn't even have considering I received grants and everything was paid for. However, some emergencies came up and I had to take out personal student loans. I just finished my pre-reqs last fall, two years after graduating, and the bills from the 3 lenders are already starting to roll in. :scared: It's actually not to bad. It's about $160 each month, but I put $250 towards them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no debt at all !I didn't read it well , i thought you said debt in med school and i just click the button 100k-150k hahah:D

My undergrad debt was only about 25k, but now I'm doing a 1 year SMP which is going to drive that up to about 50k. Kinda hate to think about it, but we all do what we have to do.

130675898805.png

After hearing everyone's stories on here about having undergrad debt, I'm really thankful I've been lucky enough to have a full ride.

0$ for undergrad

I saved up $10,000+ in High school, got scholarships and financial aid, in reality I probably made a couple thousand a semester, and I still worked during the summers

I'm about $50K in the black now, probably $150K in the hole after med school, $75K if I get into the one school in my state. I plan to be debt-free 5 years after residency.

Last edited:
I have 2 years left at 40k each, currently on 160k debt.

A little over $25k after 4.5 years of college.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: This. The orthopaedic surgeon I shadowed was pulling in 700 k. His colleague (Spine Surgeon) was making 1 million/year. The family doctors make a good 170 - 220 k. If you are particularly good at business and you get additional certification (like, being qualified to perform gyn procedures/derm stuff/circumcisions) the salary goes up from there. Plus, the Canadian dollar is on par with the U.S. for several years now.

All the fam docs I know across the border in Windsor make 300k+ easy.

Clinics are cash cows.

Bump (Just trying to get some more data)

Planning to finish undergrad with no debt and money back in my pockets from scholarships.

Nine years ago I had a free ride, oh was that sweet. Lost it due to not using it lol.

So now I'm on loans and about to start my third semester with a balance of 14k in loans. It costs about $3500 a semester for tuition, fees, and books and I get about $4700 in loans.

However, :soexcited:, my new fafsa qualified me for over 9k in grants for the next school year. I'm still going to take out the max loans (9k+ a year). I have living expenses and all that. Plus me getting a job isn't happening. The reason I went back to school is because I can't find work. I can't even find a job at school, :smuggrin: .

After this is all said and done (and if I keep getting grants) I'll be between 40-50k in debt.

$0

Full ride covers my classes. Life insurance payouts, placed in strategic low-risk stock options several years ago, will cover my dorm fees. Working 30+ hours a week for two years in high school for minimum wage is paying for my books.

Depressing circumstances and hard work: it pays off.

(I will be tapped out dry for med school though...:scared:)

13ish now after three years, one left, prolly bringing the total to about 15...

Depends on if I take that International Trip over winter break :D

i'll have no debt from undergrad, and hopefully none after med school is over even if i do go to some private school.

$22k undergrad
$47k for masters
------------------------
$69k before med school

Dumbest decision of my life= going to a small liberal arts college

or so poor that you get an amazing financial aid package....

Haha this is me. After all my external scholarships I only pay $5k/year. I saved up $8k from high school part-time jobs, so it covered me during 1st and 2nd year when I was working crap jobs for like $10/hr

Interesting. Parents are broke, so I've received no undergraduate help from them.

What riles me up, though, is the way my university's financial aid office works. I slacked off in high school, so didn't get any full rides. However, the more partial scholarships I applied for and was awarded, the more they would just reduce my non-loan financial aid. Basically told me that unless I could get enough partial scholarships to be a full ride, I would have to take the loans.

Will be finishing up right at $27k student loan debt plus about $6k credit card debt.

holy crap, 150k debt...what did you guys do in undergrad...
i will have about 8k...

I don't know if you have been thru this but tuition usually runs 5k -30k per year and without a pretty penny from parents you have to take a loan out to complete the school year and receive your grades. Scholarships help but are limited. Hopefully everyone that received full rides and/or had parents that could help them through school can fully appreciate what they have.

School is zero from scholarships and living expenses mom/dad.

Maximum Stafford loans X 4 years = ~$24,000

Paying for med school entirely with loans. meh.

Going to Vegas to play some blackjack?

Yeah, the 209 competition isn't working out too well, so I'm going with my non-linear equations professor to vegas on the weekends to count cards... It's simple math...

Yeah, the 209 competition isn't working out too well, so I'm going with my non-linear equations professor to vegas on the weekends to count cards... It's simple math...

Watch out for the stereotypical angry black male...

I will thankfully have no debt. I picked my school (Indiana University) for the prospect of a full ride.

Debt now: 20k

Estimated debt after med school: ~240K (excluding interest and assuming tuition increases every year since my school doesn't lock in tuition).

I don't know why I was under the impression that the tuition stays the same all 4 years. Barely any schools lock in tuition.

Also, I know that quite a few schools have higher tuition rates for 3rd and 4th years because its a 12-month rather than a 10-month academic year. So even without tuition increases, costs will likely go up. This is why I always round way up when estimating my med school debt.

0 debt after undergrad....thanks to cheap Canadian schools, scholarships, and parents :)