How much do Adm Committees know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarantismnow

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that AMCAS posts a list of acceptances, rejections, and holds accessible to admissions committees.

I am curious.

Does anyone know if AACOMAS does this, or if aside from what info they get off your application, do admissions committees at a given college know where you are at with other colleges in terms of interviews granted and/or scheduled, rejections, withdrawals?

Do games get played?

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression that AMCAS doesn't put out a list like that until April or something, but I'm not sure. I have no idea what AACOMAS does, but I'm sure that most adcoms anbd staff have enough work to do w/o scouring a list of acceptances.

Then again, I do know that some admissions staff look at these message boards, so who knows?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do know that AAMCAS does have a deadline for applicants to designate their school by a deadline. There are two deadlines, one of March 15th (which is I believe when all of the schools are supposed to notify all candidates of their official acceptances) and one April 15th which is when all students must elect their designated school. Then after April 15th the "list" that you are hearing about is issued and if you are still holding a spot at two schools, it is considered highly unethical and all of the schools have the right to rescind their offers of acceptance to that greedy person.

I don't know if AACOM actually publishes a list or not because all of the schools have different deadlines for secondaries, etc. and generally interview into the late spring. But, yes the ad coms do know quite a bit. Take the conference in Vegas this past month. I am sure the ad coms were comparing notes at that conference.

wait wait wait, its not unethical to hold more than one spot (i.e. put down a deposit for two schools) anytime BEFORE april/march right? (god willing this miracle happens for me)

it seems like a lot of pain and suffering could be allievated on both sides (school-applicants) if students could submit sec all at the same time and schools could notify all at the same time. It'll never happen but its too bad we have to lose our deposits and some schools lose seats to last minute decisions. que sera sera...

NO it isn't unethical to hold multiple spots before March/April. That is okay. After all, ad coms expect that you may still be holding out for an acceptance to your 1st choice school so having deposits at others schools until you here from all of the schools that you have applications pending at is completely acceptable. Don't sweat putting down deposits at more than one school until March.

4. Applicants are responsible for responding promptly, either to accept or to decline all interview invitations and offers of admission.

5. Applicants who have made a final decision on the medical school they plan to attend have the obligation to promptly withdraw their applications from all other schools.

I pulled this off of AACOM. #5 basically says, when you know for sure that you will be attending a specific school, then do the right think and pull your applications from all of the other schools immediately.

5. Applicants who have made a final decision on the medical school they plan to attend have the obligation to promptly withdraw their applications from all other schools.
....when you know for sure that you will be attending a specific school, then do the right think and pull your applications from all of the other schools immediately.

maysqd-- that is true and aacom is right in asking that you pull your applications-- the problem is that many don't know until later in the application cycle (march) where they want/are able to attend.
All of my interviews were done before christmas and no school knew, or at least let on that they knew, where else i had interviewed/been accepted.

My earlier post mentions the March deadline as well. I was just posting what AACOM was asking students to do. A student may not make up their mind which school they will attend until they start hearing about financial aid, etc. We are just discussing what is ethical versus unethical after the March/April deadlines.

And, since many students have already decided on which school they will attend and AACOM just wants those students to not sit on the acceptance to multiple schools if they have already made up their mind. It is kind of inconsiderate to the other applicants to hold out on a spot that you know you will never use.

Curious - So there is a general consensus that the information that adcoms have at this point (Oct.) in the process is what the applicant discloses on the primary and during the interview?