How much do last semester grades count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johna72481

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I put my deposit down for Dental school already and am ready to begin. however, my grades are beginning to tank. I currently have a 3.65 GPA and 3.55sGPA and my motivation to try this last semester is declining. I hate that I have to take all these BS electives that I really do not care about. I am not saying I'm gonna get straight C's this semester. But I'm expecting 2-3B's maybe B-'s and maybe a C or 2 this last semester. You guys think that the school will retract my acceptance? If thats the case then I guess Ill try my best to do better but let me know what you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you don't fail, or drop below the minimum you should be good.

There's a thread someone here about someone having their offer rescind after dropping from a 3.22 to like a 3.15 I think.

A lot, since it is the most recent measure of your academic performance. Intentionally tanking your grades just because you got accepted does not reflect well on your work ethic.

But as @stoopidmonkeycatdog said, as long as you meet their minimum grade requirements, you're fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you have Cs and a pulse, you're fine.

Reactions: 2 users
I definitely understand not having the motivation to finish requirements after getting accepted, knowing your GPA doesn't really matter anymore. I'm trying my hardest to give enough of a crap to do well in Physics right now which is somehow a requirement to enter Dental school. I'm also taking Anatomy and I wish I didn't have to spend so much time on Physics and could learn as much as possible in A&P but the idea of failing Physics and having to take it over the summer/get my acceptance taken away freaks me to no end, so A&P is on the backburner for now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Talked to admissions today at TAMU. She said do NOT drop any classes but I literally asked if Cs across the board would be okay she said yup! Just pass with a C and no one will bat an eye. However if you drop a class the dean of admissions will know and have to sign off on it and will not be happy.

Reactions: 1 user
On the same boat right now with my microbiology class....I have a C+ after the first exam and trying to not let it drop below a C by the end of the semester. And who knows if I'll get As in the rest of my classes (already currently have a B in another)...I'm losing motivation by the second welp :(

On the same boat right now with my microbiology class....I have a C+ after the first exam and trying to not let it drop below a C by the end of the semester. And who knows if I'll get As in the rest of my classes (already currently have a B in another)...I'm losing motivation by the second welp :(

I 100% feel you for sure! Something I'm using to motivate me is that if I get straight C's this semester, I won't be graduating with honors (Cum Laude or whatever). Not that I really care or it matters, but I'm just trying to hold on to what little thing I can to keep me moving and showing up for class. Trying to shoot for at least a B in my classes because of this. Even if it doesn't happen, at least I won't be on the brink of failing, which would royally F everything up and cause my stress levels to skyrocket for finals. No thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
I 100% feel you for sure! Something I'm using to motivate me is that if I get straight C's this semester, I won't be graduating with honors (Cum Laude or whatever). Not that I really care or it matters, but I'm just trying to hold on to what little thing I can to keep me moving and showing up for class. Trying to shoot for at least a B in my classes because of this. Even if it doesn't happen, at least I won't be on the brink of failing, which would royally F everything up and cause my stress levels to skyrocket for finals. No thank you!
Rightt?? Only things motivating me to at least do okay is trying to avoid having my acceptance rescinded and trying to graduate with honors ugh

lmao bruh I am trying to do the same thing. My only problem with that is that Im at like a 3.65 rn and for me to go up to the tier above cum lade, I need a 3.7 and I need like straight A's to get that so thats not happening with my current level of motivation. And i can keep above the 3.5 (cum lade) with a few C's lolol.

lmao bruh I am trying to do the same thing. My only problem with that is that Im at like a 3.65 rn and for me to go up to the tier above cum lade, I need a 3.7 and I need like straight A's to get that so thats not happening with my current level of motivation. And i can keep above the 3.5 (cum lade) with a few C's lolol.

lol I just calculated it and I just need an A in my Spanish class (literally just need to show up) to maintain Cum Laude status and can get a C in my hard classes. An A in all 3 still wouldn't be enough to throw me above 3.7 though. Yay for bare minimum!! But honestly whatever. I've busted my ass for 3.5 years and being able to get 2 Cs in my last semester while still being Cum Laude sounds like ice cream at the end of a raw kale salad dinner XD

Last edited:
My acceptance says that i have to successfully complete the courses currently enrolled and "maintain an academic average commensurate with that reflected on your current DDS application." Does that mean I can't get a C in a class? or just my semester GPA needs to be around my current GPA?

My acceptance says that i have to successfully complete the courses currently enrolled and "maintain an academic average commensurate with that reflected on your current DDS application." Does that mean I can't get a C in a class? or just my semester GPA needs to be around my current GPA?

Call you school and ask. Each school is different. Mine just wants a passing grade so a C or better. Yours could be different though. Better to hear it directly so you know how to handle the class best.