how much do med school rankings really matter??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancer89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all! I know that this question is kind of hard to answer.. but I am trying to get some idea to help me pick between schools. How much does the ranking of a medical school really matter, in terms of placing into competitive residencies/future jobs etc? like say top 10 vs top 20 vs top 50? would it really make a difference? any thoughts appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

i searched and what came up were two threads from 4+ years ago. if you don't have something constructive to say don't reply thank youuuu.

Members don't see this ad :)
In honor of April, the gods have disabled the search function again. Oh, those silly gods.

-Or-

They matter a lot. If you go to anything outside the top 5, you'll be wiping butts for the rest of your career for minimum wage. Oh, the life.

i searched and what came up were two threads from 4+ years ago. if you don't have something constructive to say don't reply thank youuuu.
then you suck at searching

if you can't search well you will be a bad doctor.

Now that the matter is settled, a more pressing issue-

zombie_apocalypse-600x7581.jpg

imo, in lieu of a class b weapon, i would rather stock a secondary class a weapon, particularly if the zombification is via viral infection

hey all! I know that this question is kind of hard to answer.. but I am trying to get some idea to help me pick between schools. How much does the ranking of a medical school really matter, in terms of placing into competitive residencies/future jobs etc? like say top 10 vs top 20 vs top 50? would it really make a difference? any thoughts appreciated!

62302d94eca88c46722f3f4f29353177.gif

Despite intuition, I'll validate this question with a serious response (for posterity).

Rather than ask us pre-meds our opinions, I'll confer the opinions of a few hundred residency directors: http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2010v3.pdf (p.6)

Only 44% considered "graduating from a highly regarded U.S. medical school" important and gave it a 3.6/5.0 for "importance rating."

There are many more criteria that will be far more important in determining your placement into a competitive specialty such as: research accomplishments, USMLE performance (namely step 1), med school grades, clerkship grades, networking ability (unfortunately), etc.

tl;dr - they are not important

Despite intuition, I'll validate this question with a serious response (for posterity).

Rather than ask us pre-meds our opinions, I'll confer the opinions of a few hundred residency directors: http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2010v3.pdf (p.6)

Only 44% considered "graduating from a highly regarded U.S. medical school" important and gave it a 3.6/5.0 for "importance rating."

There are many more criteria that will be far more important in determining your placement into a competitive specialty such as: research accomplishments, USMLE performance (namely step 1), med school grades, clerkship grades, networking ability (unfortunately), etc.

thanks!

Hey, if there's one thing you learn in pre-allo, it's that if it comes down to a survey of residency directors, or the opinions of a bunch of anonymous premeds,the latter always prevails. I mean, after Bobby's been working so hard to get into XYZ school, you'd better have more than facts to demonstrate that his school rank doesn't matter. :laugh:

Graduating last in class from the "lowest ranked" medical school=doctor.

/thread.

They're based on research funding I believe.

It doesn't matter at all.
For example: Mayo med school wasn't ranked at all then next year it was ranked around 26 (U.S. news)