How much do "ties" to a school help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpgrind

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are certain schools that have a heavy in state bias like USC-columbia, UNC, etc. and also that there are low yield school like Jefferson.

So I was wondering, how much can "ties" to a school help get a II?
For example, I have ties to the 3 above schools, but I'm not sure if they are strong enough to make it worth applying.

For USC-columbia: grandparents live in Columbia and mother/uncle went to undergrad and med school at USC.
For UNC: uncle works as physician at the hospital.
For Jefferson: father went to med school there (also worth noting that I got an interview for the BS/MD program at Jefferson if that makes any difference).

I'm just trying to create a reasonable school list for my application this upcoming cycle and don't want to waste money applying to schools that won't even consider me.

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Every admissions committee should develop its procedures regarding conflicts of interest due to relationships with alumni and donors. In fact the LCME accreditation standard is clear what the outcome of such policies should be: "The selection of individual medical students for admission is not influenced by any political or financial factors."

Every admissions committee should develop its procedures regarding conflicts of interest due to relationships with alumni and donors. In fact the LCME accreditation standard is clear what the outcome of such policies should be: "The selection of individual medical students for admission is not influenced by any political or financial factors."
C'MON now, do you really believe there is no legacy/donor consideration for applicants? To the OP, if you have "ties" to any schools, make use of them if you can!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
C'MON now, do you really believe there is no legacy/donor consideration for applicants? To the OP, if you have "ties" to any schools, make use of them if you can!
I did say that each school should have policies to manage those considerations, but the end result needs to conform to LCME standards. I also agree, it doesn't hurt to try but just be mindful of how it could come across if you push those links.

The OP did ask regarding whether those ties help when it comes to getting an invitation to interview. My answer reflects the experience I have had on the topic.

@Browns99 @Mr.Smile12 I guess I'm also asking how to make use of these ties? Should I just put this as additional information on my application, or email an adcom - would that be enough to get a second look?

Last edited:
@Browns99 @Mr.Smile12 I guess I'm also asking how to make use of these ties? Should I just put this as additional information on my application, or email an adcom - would that be enough to get a second look?
Usually on supplemental applications, you will be asked if you have any family members who attend/ed the school, or they work at the school. (School meaning the specific health professional program, not undergrad.) Make sure you know the graduation year from medical school for your parents and your uncle.

In your example, having grandparents who live in Columbia wouldn't be an answer to this question. It could be something worth bringing up if asked why you were interested in USC-Columbia (could be a different supplemental question).

Reactions: 2 users
The MSAR will tell you how many OOS applicants apply and how many matriculate. If it does not appear that the school is OOS friendly and you are OOS, ties won't help.

Schools that will take legacies into account will straight up ask if you have any family ties to the school. If it matters to them, it will be weighed in the decision to give you an interview. Generally, that gets you in the door but you have to merit an admission offer on your own (without any "brownie points" for family connections).

I interview a half dozen applicants every year who appear to have gotten an interview solely on the basis of a connection. I try to give them a positive experience and I also make a fair appraisal of the interview.

Also, consider that if a university graduates a few thousand students (including MD) each year and the average university hospital has a few thousand faculty members, then there are hypothetically several thousand potential legacy applicants to a med school in a given year. It could help but it is never a slam-dunk.

Reactions: 3 users
How did Rand Paul get into Duke without even finishing his undergraduate degree? Surely his father (Ron Paul) being a big shot influenced the outcome?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
How did Rand Paul get into Duke without even finishing his undergraduate degree? Surely his father (Ron Paul) being a big shot influenced the outcome?
“Rand Paul left Baylor without completing his baccalaureate degree,[20] when he was accepted into his father's alma mater, the Duke University School of Medicine, which, at the time, did not require an undergraduate degree for admission to its graduate school.”

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Anecdotally, very little. Know a couple folks, east and west coast, who are legacy, family are faculty, donors or have long time personal and professional connections with the dean or a combination of the above. None of these people were able to get into their desired DO schools. Culture might be different for MD though?

“Rand Paul left Baylor without completing his baccalaureate degree,[20] when he was accepted into his father's alma mater, the Duke University School of Medicine, which, at the time, did not require an undergraduate degree for admission to its graduate school.”
I wonder if going without an undergraduate degree was common though.