How much do you earn if you....

panvard92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do research in UG? How many hours do you usually have to work?

Members don't see this ad.

There are three options: Volunteer research, paid research, and accredited research. I think paid is only around like 10$ an hr or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing accredited= research for college credit (directed study).
I'm curious to how this work in details.
Do you receive a grade for this? Do you get tested on what you researched on? in order to qualify for the college credit.

Do you receive a grade for this? Do you get tested on what you researched on? in order to qualify for the college credit.

You do receive a grade for it. At my uni you set it up individually with the PI(primary investigator: whoever's in charge of the lab). You fill out some paper work with the PI regarding hours worked, for how much credit, doing what ect. and file it with the school. It's nice because it's on an individual basis, so it can be worked around your scheduel.

At least here it's pretty much a free A, assuming you show up and do work. When I did it I was just graded on my work in the lab, no papers or tests required. I do know some schools make you write a reflection paper at the end of the semester. I've never heard of anyone having to take tests, although maybe they do it somewhere.

Hey. I guess the proper working would just be "research for credit" but I'm not sure how they do the grading. At OSU you just apply and talk to the research advisor of the project you are interested in and then schedule into, for example, Biology XXX. I think it is 20 hrs of research for 5 credit hours. You do have the opportunity to get published with any of those research options.

My school, UC Irvine, considers one of it's best factors that it allows nearly any student who wants to do research to do it. The way it worked for me was that the Bio office has a huge list of all of the professors and a blerb about the project that they're working on and what type of student they're looking for. You then contact the professor and ask if they have any research seats open, and then you interview with them and they decide to take you or not. After that, it's up to you and your PI how much you want to work, what work you need to do, and when you come in. My lab is very laid back, as long as you do the work you're asked to do, you don't have to stay any certain number of hours, and you'll get an A for however many units you signed up for.

Hope that helps!

I've seen from slightly above minimum wage to $15, so it will probably vary depending on what the PI wants to pay you. I wouldn't count on getting paid at first as labs don't usually have a lot of extra money and they want to know you are committed. I would suggest getting recommendations from other students about what labs they enjoyed as not all PIs are good with students.

I agree that working in a lab for academic credit is an easy A. I was required to write summary papers about what I did for the semester. You might also be expected to give presentations to the other lab members about your results, as that is a very important part of research.

so, if you need a job (because you don't want to be in deep debt after graduating and going to med school) would it help if you worked in a lab?

I mean, there is a possibility that my parents may not be able to help me out...so I just want to know what I can do to support myself w/out hurting my grades. I thought working in a lab would be beneficial because you can get paid and research (which, I believe some med schools like). I just don't know if that, alone, would be enough...

so, if you need a job (because you don't want to be in deep debt after graduating and going to med school) would it help if you worked in a lab?

Well for undergrad debt, everything helps. I don't think it's really the best money making opportunity, but with the current state of the job market I guess any job is pretty good. However, it will not make a dent in debt from med school.

I mean, there is a possibility that my parents may not be able to help me out...so I just want to know what I can do to support myself w/out hurting my grades. I thought working in a lab would be beneficial because you can get paid and research (which, I believe some med schools like). I just don't know if that, alone, would be enough...
That is a good benifit of it, get research experience and $.

There are three options: Volunteer research, paid research, and accredited research. I think paid is only around like 10$ an hr or so.

So for the paid research, even though you're getting paid, can it still count toward your research hours? Or will it only count if it's strictly volunteer?

So for the paid research, even though you're getting paid, can it still count toward your research hours? Or will it only count if it's strictly volunteer?

As far as I know, medical schools do not require a certain amount of research hours per say. No matter if your research is paid or volunteer, you can still mark it down on applications as extracurric/research. I believe.