How much do you spend or set aside for vacation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agree to disagree. And a 20 BMI means nothing. I was underweight and have gained about 15 lbs since joining the gym 2 years ago. Why I started lifting weights at 33 boggles my mind. Wish I had started sooner.

Me too! I was always too self-conscious when I was younger. So dumb and so much wasted time/potential.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree to disagree. And a 20 BMI means nothing. I was underweight and have gained about 15 lbs since joining the gym 2 years ago. Why I started lifting weights at 33 boggles my mind. Wish I had started sooner.

Me too! I was always too self-conscious when I was younger. So dumb and so much wasted time/potential.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's really such a comment on our society's warped priorities that have the effect of making us all dumb consumers that all the really important things in life, you don't learn them formally. Money, diet, domesticity (cooking, cleaning, and keeping home), and relationships all seem to fall into this category, and we are all definitely the lesser for it. The amount of pseudoscience, fearmongering, hiding, and deception on actually useful information in those categories rise to the level of conspiracy.

I agree that a 20 BMI means nothing, I made that comment to say that I'm not out of shape or fat as I do actually make it a point to exercise regularly. I don't lift that often as it frankly bores me (not a comment on lifters in general, just a personal one on preferences), I'm a bi in the winter and a tri in the summer. As for the other comments, I actually agree rather than disagree with them.

Reactions: 2 users
Mostly on my wife's income, but our vacation travel is mostly activity based like skiing. Not incredibly expensive (2 or 3k) a week. The one time we went to Suisse , it was something like 9k a week for three weeks,but she made equity partner that year. We do intend on going on the Cunard line around the world in a year.

so far from what I gathered from you is that you have pretty much experienced every types of pharmacy jobs under the sun, knows a lot of people in pharmacy and all their dirty secrets, you also gotten revenge from your nemesis after patiently waiting for 10+ years, and from this thread...you have a super hot, smart and rich wife that can't get enough of you

what are you? the most interesting pharmacist in the world? lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
so far from what I gathered from you is that you have pretty much experienced every types of pharmacy jobs under the sun, knows a lot of people in pharmacy and all their dirty secrets, you also gotten revenge from your nemesis after patiently waiting for 10+ years, and from this thread...you have a super hot, smart and rich wife that can't get enough of you

what are you? the most interesting pharmacist in the world? lol

Laconic summary: Not interesting, interested.

Athenian summary:
No, Albert Wertheimer would be that for me. Founded a great graduate program, taught a generation of extremely influential graduate students such as Lucinda Maine and Linda Strand, and knew them very well. Semiretired to Temple and collects a tidy windfall doing industry advising and being on the Board of Directors for a specific concern. Within the place I work, that would be Louise Van Diepen, the pharmacist who did everything from staff pharmacist to the highest ranking civil servant in the VA as Chief of Staff and was someone that had no enemies (because she was very efficient about her work, including disposal). Interesting people live interesting lives, they don't talk or write about them. However, nothing of what I just wrote is practically useful. There is a story behind each of those statements, a rather rich one. "A man was born, he lived and he died" is not a story. I am interested rather than interesting, and Albert's interesting story makes for good narrative about living a uninhibited life.

No, I never said I had a hot or a smart wife, she's quite normal on both counts. People assume that for being hardworking and successful, because successful people are only beautiful (I'm proof positive that they are not necessarily related, I could use about $50k's worth of cosmetic surgery). And I suppose if you thought that a person who could write clinically about a future Husband 2.0 was a good marriage, well, I suppose you are in the right line of work. What she has is zeal and desire, she wants growth and she wants more, and that is what drives her. The most uncharitable way for me to describe how my marriage works is to say that our relationship is founded on her ever wanting more, she wants me to be more cuddly, more sociable, and more loving. From her perspective, I give just enough to keep her interested, but not enough to make her satisfied. My own perspective is that sooner or later, when she does figure out that Husband 2.0 carries a much higher intrinsic growth potential for giving her what she wants, she will make the rational decision and upgrade her marriage. Until then, we abide, but I have no particular illusions about the eventual fate, because I just am incapable of giving more than my personality permits.

What can be said about my marriage is basically the state of the profession since the beginning for me: the situation is hopeless, but not serious. The original reason I signed up for this board was not about pharmacy, in fact, the pharmacy boards were not available until some time in 2004. I was interested in doing something other than pharmacy after the collapse of the profession, so optometry looked inviting (it still does today for me for a quieter life). I did not get the choice to become a pharmacist, that choice was made for me. What I could do was work my way into power in such a way that I could make my own choices. However, the profession has continued along the trajectory that I predicted years ago (you can read a number of postings throughout my time here that lay out how this situation works out). What I wanted to be was a historian, but what I could be given my environmental choices was this. What interests me is not living a happy life, but a satisfied one. That means for me, that I can make sense of the disjointed events, and unlike interesting people, my interests drive me to bring narrative sense into events. It was how I counseled patients where it was not about the drug or the condition, it was how this drug fit into their lifestyle ("you can keep eating McDonald's until the day you die, but this Lipitor here is going to help you do it for at least 10 more years, because as far as we know, there's no McDonald's where we're going..."), it was how I approached what I needed to know to do good work, and it serves me daily in the bureaucratic moral maze where I work.

Interesting things happen to people, but they do not attempt to understand or make sense of it. I do, which is why I tend to write about these things. It's not that others don't know, it's just either that they can't be bothered to communicate them, or they are in on a situation where it is better for people to not know. Why I take such odd jobs, say what I do at work (which is why I'm in an enforced sinecure job at the moment) is because I am interested in what others are up to as well as having no particular issues with working jobs below or above my qualifications (acting as if you had a terminal case of imposter syndrome helps quite a bit). Uncharitably, I am the NPC who gets to be the chronicler for all of the PC events that others initiate and destroy. And because people mistake me for the furniture in both work and social life, I get to overhear and figure out how those narratives work. The really interesting people who are in our line of work, the management consultants, the industry players, and academia are usually narcissistic enough to insist that someone remembers their exploits, and since my reputation in the business is what it is, they and I are more than happy to listen to each other's stories. I am quite happy that no one considers me an interesting person in real life, because I would never get to know many of the stories otherwise.

If I wanted a happy life, I would have probably gone onto optometry after pharmacy imploded, worked a fairly banal job, and spend my time reading. But I want a satisfactory life now, so I usually care about stories and sometimes, enough power to change the narrative. Even if this profession (and possibly this country) is hopeless but not serious, before we die, can we not live?

I vacation abroad 2-3x/year. I don't have kids, though, which allows me to do it. I always use all my PTO on vacations. Giving back hours is for suckers. Most of them cost about $2k/trip for myself without budgeting. With budgeting I could easily cut that down by 500 or more.

I vacation abroad 2-3x/year. I don't have kids, though, which allows me to do it. I always use all my PTO on vacations. Giving back hours is for suckers. Most of them cost about $2k/trip for myself without budgeting. With budgeting I could easily cut that down by 500 or more.

Any cool places you’ve been to and would suggest?

Prague is a must-see.

High up on my "Never been there" list is Vietnam

if you travel even more than a little bit: I do want to put in a plug for the SPG American Express Luxury Card- I just got it a few weeks ago.

It is expensive ($450/year), but it pays for itself pretty quickly- you get $300 in credits towards hotel nights in Marriott and Sheraton properties each year, one free night in Marriott and Sheraton properties each year, a free enrollment in TSA trusted traveler, and (the biggie for me) free enrollment in Priority Pass - an airport lounge program with 1,100 participating locations.

The regular SPG AmEx runs $95 per year (and you only get the one free night per year), so this is a good deal, though shelling out the $450 up front did require me to change my mindset about how much a credit card should cost.

Last edited: