How much do you spend or set aside for vacation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GrandTheftAutumn

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

Just curious to see what your vacation habits are as I am entering the upper middle class (don't laugh).
How many trips do you take annually?
How much per trip?
And/or what % of your income you would set aside for vacation.

I'm a 2018 grad, large chain pharmacist, 64 hours biweekly but I often grab extra shifts so assuming I can keep getting extra hours, I should make right around 100k post tax annually.
I'm single with average amount of student loans and I live in relatively low cost of living area.
I am planning on making at least 2 trips in 2019 within the state and at least 1 trip where I will be flying from one side to the other of US.

I'd be more interested in those with similar situation as I am, but any input will be appreciated.
Thanks.
 
Hello everyone,

Just curious to see what your vacation habits are as I am entering the upper middle class (don't laugh).
How many trips do you take annually?
How much per trip?
And/or what % of your income you would set aside for vacation.

I'm a 2018 grad, large chain pharmacist, 64 hours biweekly but I often grab extra shifts so assuming I can keep getting extra hours, I should make right around 100k post tax annually.
I'm single with average amount of student loans and I live in relatively low cost of living area.
I am planning on making at least 2 trips in 2019 within the state and at least 1 trip where I will be flying from one side to the other of US.

I'd be more interested in those with similar situation as I am, but any input will be appreciated.
Thanks.

$100 grand post tax? You are vastly overestimating your take home income as a single pharmacist.
 
We need more information. Cost can vary widely depending on length of trip, lodging, activities, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We need more information. Cost can vary widely depending on length of trip, lodging, activities, etc.

Whatever y'all don't mind sharing.
Just trying to see what other pharmacists do and make good vacation plans.

Edit: I am more interested in the financials, rather than vacation ideas, but any input is appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Just curious to see what your vacation habits are as I am entering the upper middle class (don't laugh).
How many trips do you take annually?
How much per trip?
And/or what % of your income you would set aside for vacation.

I'm a 2018 grad, large chain pharmacist, 64 hours biweekly but I often grab extra shifts so assuming I can keep getting extra hours, I should make right around 100k post tax annually.
I'm single with average amount of student loans and I live in relatively low cost of living area.
I am planning on making at least 2 trips in 2019 within the state and at least 1 trip where I will be flying from one side to the other of US.

I'd be more interested in those with similar situation as I am, but any input will be appreciated.
Thanks.

I highly recommend new grads who are single and with negative net worth postpone expensive purchases such as vacations, new cars, etc. and aggressively pay down your student loans first.

If I were you, I would not spend more than $500 for vacation within state, and not more than $1k for trip across the US.

I agree with others. Even with working extra hours (80 to 90+ hours biweekly), I can see 90K post tax a possibility, but Not 100K.
IMO, 75K to 85K post tax may be more realistic with extra hours

Correction: postpone large purchases such as expensive vacations, new luxury cars, etc
 
Last edited:
I highly recommend new grads who are single and with negative net worth postpone expensive purchases such as vacations, new cars, etc. and aggressively pay down your student loans first.

If I were you, I would not spend more than $500 for vacation within state, and not more than $1k for trip across the US.

I agree with others. Even with working extra hours (80 to 90+ hours biweekly), I can see 90K post tax a possibility, but Not 100K.
IMO, 75K to 85K post tax may be more realistic with extra hours

Live a little, you're making enough to keep paying your loans and go on vacation at the same time. I probably spend at least 3k per year most years on vacations/trips (1 international vacation and at least 1 short trip within the US or sometimes Canada/Mexico), but I don't do anything crazy luxurious, and have no regrets about that figure. I would be a lot more depressed if I didn't go on vacations. If you want to save some money, look at budget destinations (e.g. not Western Europe, although that doesn't have to be too expensive either if you do it right). I don't really "set anything aside", even when I had loans to pay. I just live within my means (no BMW, no big house, etc...) so I can go on vacations without thinking about going broke.
 
Live a little, you're making enough to keep paying your loans and go on vacation at the same time. I probably spend at least 3k per year most years on vacations/trips (1 international vacation and at least 1 short trip within the US or sometimes Canada/Mexico), but I don't do anything crazy luxurious, and have no regrets about that figure. I would be a lot more depressed if I didn't go on vacations. If you want to save some money, look at budget destinations (e.g. not Western Europe, although that doesn't have to be too expensive either if you do it right). I don't really "set anything aside", even when I had loans to pay. I just live within my means (no BMW, no big house, etc...) so I can go on vacations without thinking about going broke.

To each their own. I stand by my recommendations. If I was a new grad in 2018 with average pharmacy school student loans of 200K to 250K+ plus interest, I'd only consider budget vacations and avoiding expensive trips.
 
My pre-tax/deduction income is like $155k and I don't even go over $100k take home. Reel in expectations.

That said, you can still do vacation on the cheap and see great locales. Learn how rewards credit cards work. Book flights on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Travel during the offseason. I'm going to Scotland in March ($360 flight), staying in a five star hotel (under$100/night on hotwire) I'll probably be able to do it for under $3000 for two...because I'm a value traveller. Not to mention I got like $1000 in rewards credits on my Venture card. So more like $2000.
 
Last edited:

This article is ****ing stupid on so many levels.

Pretty much all of my favorite memories are getting lost in nature in places like Iceland and Oregon...or seeing incredibly talented actors on Broadway...or eating the best taco I've ever had at some grimy taco hut in California...or away soccer games with my soccer hooligan friends. I have fun. I can see the pointlessness of going to an all inclusive hotel in Cancun or something, but there is some awesome stuff out there to see, do, and put into your mouth.

Traveling is awesome. Seeing what the world has to offer is awesome. If that makes me a vapid consumerist, whatever.

And I love the even more idiotic article she linked to written by some other dumb ****. "Instead of going to Africa to see wildlife, go to you local nature preserve." Bitch, when there are tigers and elephants roaming around my local nature preserve, come at me. Until then, going on a safari is awesome. You can watch a ****ing lion stalk and hunt antelope.

This stupid **** is trying to reduce the basic human desire to see the world and maximize our short time on this rock with as much variety as possible into a series of rote transactions of meaningless existences. That's a ****ty, pathetic way through life. Why even wake up and do anything?
 
Last edited:
Mostly on my wife's income, but our vacation travel is mostly activity based like skiing. Not incredibly expensive (2 or 3k) a week. The one time we went to Suisse , it was something like 9k a week for three weeks,but she made equity partner that year. We do intend on going on the Cunard line around the world in a year.
 
Yeah I did alot more than 64 bi-weekly and I never ever will hit 100k post-tax, even if I did 80 bi-weekly with frequent extra shift pick up putting to 90-100 bi weekly I still coudln't get there. It's overestimating. Some of my intern think that way that they can pay off 200k in 2 years no problem. Unfortunately thats not the reality with our tax system.

I only take 1 trip annually (2 weeks) out of the country and maybe put aside 2-3k for it.
You have a pretty good vacation benefit starting new with maybe 3 weeks for your 3 trips?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My general strategy is to take one “big” trip (fly somewhere, experience something I’ve never done before, eat some really good food) and one “little” trip (drive somewhere, do something [hiking, fishing] that I’ve done dozens of times, and live cheap) each year. With credit card miles, the flight is usually free(ish) and we [S.O. and I...kids are too young] pay maybe $2-3K for the big trip. I shoot for less than $1K for the little trip.
 
Last edited:
Mostly on my wife's income, but our vacation travel is mostly activity based like skiing. Not incredibly expensive (2 or 3k) a week. The one time we went to Suisse , it was something like 9k a week for three weeks,but she made equity partner that year. We do intend on going on the Cunard line around the world in a year.
You really out kicked your coverage, didn't you Well done, sir.

We spent a couple grand on a beach trip last year and next year are taking a bigger trip for our 10 year wedding anniversary, more like 6-7k. This is balanced by the majority of the time where we go nowhere and do nothing because kids.
 
This article is ****ing stupid on so many levels.

Pretty much all of my favorite memories are getting lost in nature in places like Iceland and Oregon...or seeing incredibly talented actors on Broadway...or eating the best taco I've ever had at some grimy taco hut in California...or away soccer games with my soccer hooligan friends. I have fun. I can see the pointlessness of going to an all inclusive hotel in Cancun or something, but there is some awesome stuff out there to see, do, and put into your mouth.

Traveling is awesome. Seeing what the world has to offer is awesome. If that makes me a vapid consumerist, whatever.

And I love the even more idiotic article she linked to written by some other dumb ****. "Instead of going to Africa to see wildlife, go to you local nature preserve." Bitch, when there are tigers and elephants roaming around my local nature preserve, come at me. Until then, going on a safari is awesome. You can watch a ****ing lion stalk and hunt antelope.

This stupid **** is trying to reduce the basic human desire to see the world and maximize our short time on this rock with as much variety as possible into a series of rote transactions of meaningless existences. That's a ****ty, pathetic way through life. Why even wake up and do anything?

If there was a such thing as a "Global Pharmacy License", I'd just save up some cash and then spend 3-4 months in a country but working to continue generating $$ but being able to travel at the same time.
 
You really out kicked your coverage, didn't you Well done, sir.

We spent a couple grand on a beach trip last year and next year are taking a bigger trip for our 10 year wedding anniversary, more like 6-7k. This is balanced by the majority of the time where we go nowhere and do nothing because kids.

Eh, thanks but she could have trivially done better (and I am genuinely surprised at our anniversary that we made it another year considering her attractiveness keeps going up), but she wanted me and is quite possessive about it for now. Then again, I am aware that office romance in her office is a thing and if this comes to an end, I'll at least have enough through the prenupital. I've met hopeful Husband 2.0 and possibly 3.0 already and have openly wished them the best of luck as they are both obvious upgrades physically and financially from the 1.0 (me). The line I'd probably say at present half-jokingly is that being married to a wealthy woman is hard work, but the half-joke is from the fact that for me, just being married is hard work as my habits are that antisocial! Probably wouldn't get married again as it's too much a bother, but if I wanted to, they say that money talks and it has the best pickup lines.
 
I think it's meaningless to ask about budget without the destination in mind. Going somewhere domestically will be cheaper than going somewhere oversea just on plane ticket alone. It also depends on what you're doing on the trip. My rule of thumb is ~1k for something within the US and 3-5k if it's something overseas. I want to enjoy my vacation so I rather not penny pinch during the trip. I'll just be frugal in my everyday life instead.

You're definitely not going to be making 100k post-tax. As a new grad, I'd definitely suggest taking one small trip a year until your loans are paid off. After that you can be more liberal with how much you spend on the trips.
 
My friend says if he ever gets his hand out of that bear trap (marriage) he'll be damned if he puts it in another one. His wife agreed.

I have to say my marriage is pretty much a cakewalk and we've faced a few big stressors. I found my lobster and I'm grateful for that.
 
I agree with other posters about being financially savvy and responsible when trip planning. That being said, one of the easiest ways to ruin a vacation is to overly skimp. If you’re already out don’t destroy the mood by arguing over saving a few dollars here and there.
 
I agree with other posters about being financially savvy and responsible when trip planning. That being said, one of the easiest ways to ruin a vacation is to overly skimp. If you’re already out don’t destroy the mood by arguing over saving a few dollars here and there.

I agree with this philosophy. Personally I prefer vacation activities that I can plan and pay for in advance. For example, I enjoy cruising - I know up front what I am paying for everything (even excursions if I want to plan them in advance) and then I do not have to worry about being nickeled and dimed to death on vacation or let money concerns get in the way of having fun.

It's personal preference but I also prefer saving money on the large ticket items (hotels, flights, etc.) but do not mind at all splurging on the actual activities (dining, theme park, whatever). To each their own. I know lots of people who love fancy hotels but for me it's just a place to sleep between the actual vacation activities, although I have enjoyed a few nicer resorts when traveling as well.
 
Thank you for your input on your vacations thus far.

What's your opinion on business class flights and airport lounges (such as United Club)- are they worth it?

And since someone mentioned credit cards-
I was looking at Chase Sapphire Reserve and United Mileage Plus Club cards.
I don't think it'll be worth for me to get either one of these cards yet ($450 annual fee), but thinking of getting one in the future it it's still around.
For now, if I were to get a travel card, I think United Explorer is a good option (free membership the first year).

My question is, if you get an airline specific rewards card (United, AA, Delta, etc), do you only book with that airline or do you still book with other airlines to get the best price/travel time/layover?
 
In CA:
You need to make $153k gross to bring $100k net.
If you max out your 401k 18.5k, you need to make $172k gross to bring home $100k after tax.

Working 64h/2 weeks will not get you anywhere close to this number.
 
We have been doing two vacations a year pretty much since I graduated. Usually a more costly trip (3-5k) and one cheaper trip (1-2k) per year.

I’m sending my kid to college next year though, so we probably won’t be taking too many vacations for awhile.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We have been doing two vacations a year pretty much since I graduated. Usually a more costly trip (3-5k) and one cheaper trip (1-2k) per year.

I’m sending my kid to college next year though, so we probably won’t be taking too many vacations for awhile.

I do the same. One international trip (2-3k) and one domestic trip (<1k) a year. I churn credit cards (3-4 cards a year) for hotels and flights.
 
Thank you for your input on your vacations thus far.

What's your opinion on business class flights and airport lounges (such as United Club)- are they worth it?

And since someone mentioned credit cards-
I was looking at Chase Sapphire Reserve and United Mileage Plus Club cards.
I don't think it'll be worth for me to get either one of these cards yet ($450 annual fee), but thinking of getting one in the future it it's still around.
For now, if I were to get a travel card, I think United Explorer is a good option (free membership the first year).

My question is, if you get an airline specific rewards card (United, AA, Delta, etc), do you only book with that airline or do you still book with other airlines to get the best price/travel time/layover?

Domestic business class nowadays (unless its a transcon flight) is just a bigger seat and might not even come with a meal if its <3 hours. Long haul business class is great, but totally not worth the 5k or 10k it costs. Only do it on points. Whether its business class or economy, remember that you're still stuck in a dirty metal tube with nonstop loud engine noise.

I would skip the United Club card since most of their locations are trash. The CSR is a pretty good card even with the annual fee because you get a $300 travel credit every year and it works on flights, hotels, car rentals, tolls, parking, rideshare, even uber eats. If you really care about airport lounges the Amex Platinum is the card to get for their Centurion Lounge access, but the annual fee is $550.

You can use airline miles for partner flights in their respective alliance programs (United:Star Alliance, AA:Oneworld, Delta:SkyTeam).

I would rather get a card with a transferrable points currency over an airline card due to flexibility. CSR can be transferred to United miles, and Amex Membership Rewards can be transferred to Delta.
 
Domestic business class nowadays (unless its a transcon flight) is just a bigger seat and might not even come with a meal if its <3 hours. Long haul business class is great, but totally not worth the 5k or 10k it costs. Only do it on points. Whether its business class or economy, remember that you're still stuck in a dirty metal tube with nonstop loud engine noise.

I would skip the United Club card since most of their locations are trash. The CSR is a pretty good card even with the annual fee because you get a $300 travel credit every year and it works on flights, hotels, car rentals, tolls, parking, rideshare, even uber eats. If you really care about airport lounges the Amex Platinum is the card to get for their Centurion Lounge access, but the annual fee is $550.

You can use airline miles for partner flights in their respective alliance programs (United:Star Alliance, AA:Oneworld, Delta:SkyTeam).

I would rather get a card with a transferrable points currency over an airline card due to flexibility. CSR can be transferred to United miles, and Amex Membership Rewards can be transferred to Delta.

Great post, thank you very much.
If I use CSR's $300 travel credit to book a flight (or whatever else), I guess I could say I'm paying $150 for the annual membership.
I love how I can use it for Uber Easts so I can have my lunch delivered to the pharmacy lol.
Plus, with the Priority Pass that comes with it, I think it's pretty sweet how you can get a credit ($30 or so) at certain restaurants/fast food in certain airports.
 
Eh, thanks but she could have trivially done better (and I am genuinely surprised at our anniversary that we made it another year considering her attractiveness keeps going up), but she wanted me and is quite possessive about it for now. Then again, I am aware that office romance in her office is a thing and if this comes to an end, I'll at least have enough through the prenupital. I've met hopeful Husband 2.0 and possibly 3.0 already and have openly wished them the best of luck as they are both obvious upgrades physically and financially from the 1.0 (me). The line I'd probably say at present half-jokingly is that being married to a wealthy woman is hard work, but the half-joke is from the fact that for me, just being married is hard work as my habits are that antisocial! Probably wouldn't get married again as it's too much a bother, but if I wanted to, they say that money talks and it has the best pickup lines.

pictures or you are lying
 
How do you make 100k post-tax working only 64 hours biweekly as a new grad? Now I'm curious what this "average amount of student loan" is that you have?
 
I agree with other posters about being financially savvy and responsible when trip planning. That being said, one of the easiest ways to ruin a vacation is to overly skimp. If you’re already out don’t destroy the mood by arguing over saving a few dollars here and there.

Personally, when I travel, I go balls out on the resort/hotel/activities/rental car but go super-budget on food unless I'm travelling to a location known for food. But if I'm going somewhere like Orlando or LA for Disney/Universal, all I'm gonna be eating is McD's/Pizza Hut/Taco Bell/In and Out, and I'll be picking up a big 24 pack of bottled water.

When I went to Beirut last summer, I stayed in an amazing resort by the ocean for a few days, then at my friend's place the other days. I had armed security with me at all times provided by my friend's cousin who is part of one of the best known militias in Lebanon (didn't wanna get kidnapped by ISIS), he took us to some pretty cool places, showed us his collection of items he's picked up from dead ISIS fighters, let me mag dump his AK a few times, and awesome food and hashish too.
 
Last edited:
How do you make 100k post-tax working only 64 hours biweekly as a new grad? Now I'm curious what this "average amount of student loan" is that you have?

64 h biweekly is the minimum, I pick up shifts and my average since I started is > 80 h biweekly.
In order to make 100k post tax, 100,000/26 paychecks = $3850.
That's about how much I get deposited to my bank account biweekly for the several months.
FYI I live in the state where income tax is relatively cheap.
When I mentioned that I have the average amount of student loan, I was thinking of the figure from the article below:
Refinancing Student Loans After Pharmacy School
Some may argue the figure is even higher, and that's fine. I'm not really interested in what the real average is.

Onward, please cease questions/comments on whether a new grad can make 100k post tax.
(I'm not directing this to you, rxkrafted)
I know how much gets deposited to my bank account each paycheck, and I don't care if I'm making 100k or not (nice cutoff, but it's not the end of the world if I don't make it).
I just posted my estimated income hoping to attract input from those in the similar situation.
Please keep the posts relevant to vacation financials.
 
I highly recommend new grads who are single and with negative net worth postpone expensive purchases such as vacations, new cars, etc. and aggressively pay down your student loans first.

If I were you, I would not spend more than $500 for vacation within state, and not more than $1k for trip across the US.

I agree with others. Even with working extra hours (80 to 90+ hours biweekly), I can see 90K post tax a possibility, but Not 100K.
IMO, 75K to 85K post tax may be more realistic with extra hours

Correction: postpone large purchases such as expensive vacations, new luxury cars, etc
When I graduated, I did what Transformer suggested. I took very inexpensive vacations around the referenced amounts until I became debt free.
 
64 h biweekly is the minimum, I pick up shifts and my average since I started is > 80 h biweekly.
In order to make 100k post tax, 100,000/26 paychecks = $3850.
That's about how much I get deposited to my bank account biweekly for the several months.
FYI I live in the state where income tax is relatively cheap.
When I mentioned that I have the average amount of student loan, I was thinking of the figure from the article below:
Refinancing Student Loans After Pharmacy School
Some may argue the figure is even higher, and that's fine. I'm not really interested in what the real average is.

Onward, please cease questions/comments on whether a new grad can make 100k post tax.
(I'm not directing this to you, rxkrafted)
I know how much gets deposited to my bank account each paycheck, and I don't care if I'm making 100k or not (nice cutoff, but it's not the end of the world if I don't make it).
I just posted my estimated income hoping to attract input from those in the similar situation.
Please keep the posts relevant to vacation financials.
Are you not contributing to 401K?
If not: OOF.

How about tax deductions?
 
64 h biweekly is the minimum, I pick up shifts and my average since I started is > 80 h biweekly.
In order to make 100k post tax, 100,000/26 paychecks = $3850.
That's about how much I get deposited to my bank account biweekly for the several months.
FYI I live in the state where income tax is relatively cheap.
When I mentioned that I have the average amount of student loan, I was thinking of the figure from the article below:
Refinancing Student Loans After Pharmacy School
Some may argue the figure is even higher, and that's fine. I'm not really interested in what the real average is.

Onward, please cease questions/comments on whether a new grad can make 100k post tax.
(I'm not directing this to you, rxkrafted)
I know how much gets deposited to my bank account each paycheck, and I don't care if I'm making 100k or not (nice cutoff, but it's not the end of the world if I don't make it).
I just posted my estimated income hoping to attract input from those in the similar situation.
Please keep the posts relevant to vacation financials.
I am guessing you messed up your w4. You might end up owing uncle sam when you do you taxes.
 
This Is the Ideal Salary You Need to Take Home $100K in Your State

Just as an FYI, you need something like $135k gross and absolutely no other deductions (no health, no pension, nothing) to take home $100k straight from all payroll taxes (SS, FICA, as well as federal income). It is usually higher due to state income and property tax assessments. Where I live, it's something like $150k because of those additions. From my federal salary, I don't even take home $100k and I'm top-coded with the Executive Schedule IV limits (in plain English, you cannot make more than $175k in straight salary including overtime, that includes physicians, the way we get around it is through payment of retention and professional bonuses).
 
I agree with this philosophy. Personally I prefer vacation activities that I can plan and pay for in advance. For example, I enjoy cruising - I know up front what I am paying for everything (even excursions if I want to plan them in advance) and then I do not have to worry about being nickeled and dimed to death on vacation or let money concerns get in the way of having fun.

It's personal preference but I also prefer saving money on the large ticket items (hotels, flights, etc.) but do not mind at all splurging on the actual activities (dining, theme park, whatever). To each their own. I know lots of people who love fancy hotels but for me it's just a place to sleep between the actual vacation activities, although I have enjoyed a few nicer resorts when traveling as well.

Personally, when I travel, I go balls out on the resort/hotel/activities/rental car but go super-budget on food unless I'm travelling to a location known for food. But if I'm going somewhere like Orlando or LA for Disney/Universal, all I'm gonna be eating is McD's/Pizza Hut/Taco Bell/In and Out, and I'll be picking up a big 24 pack of bottled water.

When I went to Beirut last summer, I stayed in an amazing resort by the ocean for a few days, then at my friend's place the other days. I had armed security with me at all times provided by my friend's cousin who is part of one of the best known militias in Lebanon (didn't wanna get kidnapped by ISIS), he took us to some pretty cool places, showed us his collection of items he's picked up from dead ISIS fighters, let me mag dump his AK a few times, and awesome food and hashish too.

Great points. Sparda makes an excellent point about water. It's one thing to (over)pay for a nice dinner, but another to pay $4 for a bottle of water. It's especially annoying when they hide the water fountains or make them far and few between. Would recommend everyone to at least partially subsidize their water when on vacation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Eh, thanks but she could have trivially done better (and I am genuinely surprised at our anniversary that we made it another year considering her attractiveness keeps going up), but she wanted me and is quite possessive about it for now. Then again, I am aware that office romance in her office is a thing and if this comes to an end, I'll at least have enough through the prenupital. I've met hopeful Husband 2.0 and possibly 3.0 already and have openly wished them the best of luck as they are both obvious upgrades physically and financially from the 1.0 (me). The line I'd probably say at present half-jokingly is that being married to a wealthy woman is hard work, but the half-joke is from the fact that for me, just being married is hard work as my habits are that antisocial! Probably wouldn't get married again as it's too much a bother, but if I wanted to, they say that money talks and it has the best pickup lines.

Yeah but most guys are dinguses too, Wife 1.0 with half a brain knows that. Passion exists because of obstacles and once that marriage thing falls out of the way there may not be much left. Physically upgrading only costs you 3x a day at the gym and some clean eating. I suggest you do just that.
 
Thank you for your input on your vacations thus far.

What's your opinion on business class flights and airport lounges (such as United Club)- are they worth it?

And since someone mentioned credit cards-
I was looking at Chase Sapphire Reserve and United Mileage Plus Club cards.
I don't think it'll be worth for me to get either one of these cards yet ($450 annual fee), but thinking of getting one in the future it it's still around.
For now, if I were to get a travel card, I think United Explorer is a good option (free membership the first year).

My question is, if you get an airline specific rewards card (United, AA, Delta, etc), do you only book with that airline or do you still book with other airlines to get the best price/travel time/layover?

I actually just got the United Explorer card this summer prior to our vacation so I could use some of the perks to help offset the cost of our trip. As I mentioned above, I don't know that we will be going on too many vacations for awhile, but if we do, I'm planning to just book whatever airline works out best for us. I'm pretty sure you can use the miles on that card to pay for other things, so I might try it out for a hotel the next time I need one and see how well that works out. Never went inside United Club and only fly economy (as we have an insane toddler), so I can't comment on those types of things. I think it depends on how much luxury travel is worth it to you personally.

You might want to look into the Venture card also if you plan on traveling a lot. My husband has that one and it is pretty awesome! I don't remember what the annual fee is offhand, but if you charge a lot of stuff and pay off the balance each month, you will easily get your money back. I usually just get cash back on the statement for our travel purchases (and a lot of things come up as travel that you wouldn't even think of).
 
I’ll be getting $2,400 of tax free passive income plus $35,000 in an online savings account (Ally). From the end of Feb - mid August I’ll only be fishing major pits / lakes / rivers throughout the Midwest. Trout season right now!

No OP it’s not what you wanted, but just saying certain activities can be done cheaply for long periods of time. This is before I return to school and graduate (with debt free thanks to financial planning)! Imagine the upgrade in a 20’ fishing boat I’ll get my hands on!
 
Yeah but most guys are dinguses too, Wife 1.0 with half a brain knows that. Passion exists because of obstacles and once that marriage thing falls out of the way there may not be much left. Physically upgrading only costs you 3x a day at the gym and some clean eating. I suggest you do just that.

Eh, I suppose. But I am a little further along the Maslow hierarchy already with a 20 BMI and reasonable exercise habits (although thanks to the warmest winter ever, can't load my gun and enjoy my favorite sport on skis), and I'm the domestic between us to the point that her colleagues derisively refer to me as the skirt to my face although appreciate my cooking and alcohol sense. The question is whether or not we share the underlying values now that survival is no longer even a memory.

'Man is only as faithful as their options' and at least 2.0 can provide all that to her with excitement. I'm comfortable with who I am and don't think commoditizing myself is a satisfying way to live (also, I'm not willing to get cosmetic surgery even though I can see the 'benefits'). And why I'm ambivalent is if my wife made that choice, I would want out of the marriage for the very reasons that you state, though it has occurred to me that the sort of dinguses some guys are is what people want. 2.0 is not one either, he's just a better man who desire drives him more than mine (his first wife agrees). I am complacent and not pathologically so, but my wife always wants more. Choices and free will allow for nehative outcomes too.