How much do you tip?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol I don’t think you understand what a social norm is. I don’t really care what you do (or don’t do) with your money, but you get brake checked by me if you’re doing <70 in the #1 lane.
Again you did not answer why a doctor or a pharmacist should not get a tip??? They spend so many years in school, they spend so much money in student debt...they are poorer than people making minimum wage when they are right out of school.... You are trying to get around it..

Members don't see this ad.

I get it, it’s tough times out there, sometimes you gotta watch every dollar like a hawk. You should look into marrying rich, become a kept man, no shame in that, people have done it since pre-history.

That way, next time you’re celebrating at Denny’s, you can let her handle the bill. Don’t even pretend to try to pay, cuz you’ll know and she’ll know that’s all an act. It’ll be a win-win situation for everyone!
LOL... I will not be marrying rich.... because I dont like or believe in money being handed down to me that I have not worked for, maybe you are getting all this money from the in laws

Back to tipping, some people have no pride when it comes to making money with hard work... i guess thats when you depend on others to just hand it to you.

Again you did not answer why a doctor or a pharmacist should not get a tip??? They spend so many years in school, they spend so much money in student debt...they are poorer than people making minimum wage when they are right out of school.... You are trying to get around it..
Dude we get it, you spit on the poor and wish only the best for yourself. Move on

Members don't see this ad :)

I said social norms. You obviously have vision issues.

Dude we get it, you spit on the poor and wish only the best for yourself. Move on

Because we are paid bro. Servers are paid like 3.50/hr. We aren't.

Lol don’t worry y’all, just a troll. He doesn’t know what he doesn’t know, the universe corrects for this stuff (if it even happens, some people like to argue..like me! Hah)

Right, which should be extended to Doctors, pharmacists, dentist, apartment managers, HOA, gas station clerk, your CPA who does taxes too... not just a waiter. Why stop at a waiter... I hope you have enough money to tip 20% for everything, otherwise you may get not so great "service".

You are just a lovely and well balanced person. We get it....you dont like tipping.

I said social norms. You obviously have vision issues.
Didn't you just say a few days ago that no one responds to you? Now you have this person responding immediately to everything you say, even if the responses are vapid and repetitive.

The monkey paw curls one finger.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't you just say a few days ago that no one responds to you? Now you have this person responding immediately to everything you say, even if the responses are vapid and repetitive.

The monkey paw curls one finger.

lol I dunno, I post and forget about it, refer to post history about what I said.

Plus, that sleepingdoc dude is a troll anyway, he lacks to brain cells to understand “social norm” so he’s just kind of replying to the ether anyway. Oh well.

Assuming no pandemic, how much do you tip for eating in a restaurant? How about delivery and takeout?

For eating in a restaurant, I usually do 15% of the pretax total. But I really hate the idea of a percentage. Does the server at Morton's steakhouse work harder than the server at Denny's? My wife always tips 20% of the total after taxes which ends up being significantly higher. It really adds up if we get drinks. Happy wife happy life so I don't argue.

For delivery I do 10%.

For takeout I usually don't tip, maybe $1 if I have to sign the credit card receipt with the tip line cause I feel bad when the cashier stares at me while signing.

You are a pharmacist making six figures. The people who serve you in restaurants deserve some human consideration. I tip according to the following scale:

Normal Service: 20%
Outstanding Service 25% with a note on the sllp
Poor Service: 10-15% with a note on the slip
Take out at the pizza place: a buck or two
Take out from a restaruant that used to have indoor dining: $5.00-$10.00. These people are really hurting

Reactions: 3 users
I am not arguing, i am just educating...
Again look at what the teachers with advanced degrees get paid, and please try to justify a 15-30$ an hour salary that a waiter deserves. Look I am not trying to be a dirtbag, but I am trying to educate people who think they deserve better in life without having to work for it.. And FYI, I do tip people what they deserve, usually what other people have mentioned here..
There are no servers in this thread who think they deserve better. There are other professionals appaled at your utter lack of humanity. We wouldn't need to tip is we paid servers a real wage. But we don't. If you go out to dinner and spend $100,00 and that extra $5.00 will kill you then you can't afford that dinner. When you go to a diner for a restaurant where you have college kids working they deserve some extra bread. See others as human beings. Shrouds have no pockets

Reactions: 1 users
It is true, most are untaxed dollars too... Imagine that.. How much of the pharmacist salary is taxed?? what is your take home paycheck after you pay for everything.
Unless you pay in cash, most tips are collected by credit card and 3% comes off the top Also, tips are shared with the kitchen staff and bus people. The server does not always get it all......

You are a pharmacist making six figures. The people who serve you in restaurants deserve some human consideration. I tip according to the following scale:

Normal Service: 20%
Outstanding Service 25% with a note on the sllp
Poor Service: 10-15% with a note on the slip
Take out at the pizza place: a buck or two
Take out from a restaruant that used to have indoor dining: $5.00-$10.00. These people are really hurting

Do you tip when you eat at McDonald's? What about at CVS when you pick up your prescription? How about Home Depot or Target when you order store pickup?

Do you tip when you eat at McDonald's? What about at CVS when you pick up your prescription? How about Home Depot or Target when you order store pickup?
If they refilled my drinks, checked up on me throughout the visit, brought the food out to me, got me my check, and got paid less than $8/hr then yea, Id probably tip them

Members don't see this ad :)
If they refilled my drinks, checked up on me throughout the visit, brought the food out to me, got me my check, and got paid less than $8/hr then yea, Id probably tip them

Minimum wage is 7.25 in New Hampshire but I've never seen anyone tip at McDonald's. They tip $20+ for servers at restaurants though. The servers easily make $100+/hr on a weekend night. I don't get the "make less than minimum wage argument". Mcdonald's workers get 7.25, no tip. Restaurant servers get $100+/hr cause people feel bad for their low wage.

No I don't tip at Mcdonalds. They have no mechanism for tipping. Their uniforms don't have pockets so they can't steal. This is a straw man argument and is not comparable to in person dining

No I don't tip at Mcdonalds. They have no mechanism for tipping. Their uniforms don't have pockets so they can't steal. This is a straw man argument and is not comparable to in person dining

Eating at McDonald's is the same as in person dining. I'm just wondering why people don't tip there vs traditional restaurants. Last time I went to McDonald's, they brought out my food, asked how things were and brought me a drink refill. The workers there get paid $7.25/hr. But a server in a restaurant gets $3+$100/hr in cash tips. What's the difference? Why do McDonald's employees get no tips?

Minimum wage is 7.25 in New Hampshire but I've never seen anyone tip at McDonald's. They tip $20+ for servers at restaurants though. The servers easily make $100+/hr on a weekend night. I don't get the "make less than minimum wage argument". Mcdonald's workers get 7.25, no tip. Restaurant servers get $100+/hr cause people feel bad for their low wage.
Have you ever worked as either? Should poor people buy cake if they can't buy bread? You act as though because a server made $100 tip one night that they make that every night. I can sit here and tell you all of my pharmacy friends, 3 of them, are now fully employed with a six figure contract. Should I go around telling pre-pharms the bls is a lie?

It's the culture that we have created here in the states. If you go to other countries, they don't usually tip at all because providing excellent service is expected of them as part of their job. In my personal experiences, I receive wayyy better service in restaurants in countries abroad than in the U.S. and they don't even expect a tip.
Like i said before, the business owners need to increase the pay for these servers as an incentive to provide excellent service (which is expected from them as their job responsibility) instead of leaving it up to customers to decide. It might even provide consistency.

It's the culture that we have created here in the states. If you go to other countries, they don't usually tip at all because providing excellent service is part of their job. In my personal experiences, I receive wayyy better service in restaurants in countries abroad than in the U.S. and they don't even expect a tip.
Thats the thing some people don't understand. Also its part of the law that if workers get tips, they dont need to get paid minimum wage. So some nights you get $3/hr, some nights you get $15/hr, and if you're really lucky you get that $25+/hr

Thats the thing some people don't understand. Also its part of the law that if workers get tips, they dont need to get paid minimum wage. So some nights you get $3/hr, some nights you get $15/hr, and if you're really lucky you get that $25+/hr

What state is that? I thought in most states if they don't make enough tips then they'll still get minimum wage.

Have you ever worked as either? Should poor people buy cake if they can't buy bread? You act as though because a server made $100 tip one night that they make that every night. I can sit here and tell you all of my pharmacy friends, 3 of them, are now fully employed with a six figure contract. Should I go around telling pre-pharms the bls is a lie?

Yep I worked in Burger King and as a server. Hands down Burger King was the harder job. Made boatloads more as a server. I just don't understand why fast food workers get the shaft from tips. They do the same exact work and arguably work harder.

Yep I worked in Burger King and as a server. Hands down Burger King was the harder job. Made boatloads more as a server. I just don't understand why fast food workers get the shaft from tips. They do the same exact work and arguably work harder.
Because cashiers get minimum wage and servers don't. You choose one or the other here, you either work for no tips but minimum wage. Or you work with tips but severely under minimum wage. Is this not true in all 50 states?

Because cashiers get minimum wage and servers don't. You choose one or the other here, you either work for no tips but minimum wage. Or you work with tips but severely under minimum wage. Is this not true in all 50 states?

Correct, this has already been discussed in this thread. Sounds like wherever you are is breaking federal law.

Not in CA. Servers get $13/hr minimum.

If they serve 3-4 tables/hr, it's easy to get $30-40/hr during peak time. About +$100-150 cash tips/day.

Per Google:

"Under federal law, employers can take a tip credit by paying tipped workers, such as servers and bartenders, as low as $2.13 an hour if those workers earn at least the standard minimum wage of $7.25 an hour once their tips are added in."

In other words, servers cannot make less than minimum wage. If the tips don't add up to minimum wage the employer has to make up the difference. I don't know why people think that servers make less than minimum wage. They don't. By federal law they have to make at least minimum wage once tips are added in.

Eating at McDonald's is the same as in person dining. I'm just wondering why people don't tip there vs traditional restaurants. Last time I went to McDonald's, they brought out my food, asked how things were and brought me a drink refill. The workers there get paid $7.25/hr. But a server in a restaurant gets $3+$100/hr in cash tips. What's the difference? Why do McDonald's employees get no tips?
Doubt its really fed. minimum 7.25. In my float region mcd advertises 10$ and up plus 300 sign on occasionally
McDonalds dining room should be getting tipped if they serve like you say, but I can see that causing fights within the staff (drive thru working harder for less tips, cooks and janitors pissed off because you just grabbed a $1 tip while they are covered in sweat)

Every restaurant I have worked posted rule that you get brought up to 7.25 if your tip pull doesn't meet that per hour. In reality you will be called off/sent home before that is possible. Average earnings at the last place I worked when tips included was 25$/hr+ for bushelp, 30$/hr for waithelp OVER TEN YEARS AGO!!

Doubt its really fed. minimum 7.25. In my float region mcd advertises 10$ and up plus 300 sign on occasionally
McDonalds dining room should be getting tipped if they serve like you say, but I can see that causing fights within the staff (drive thru working harder for less tips, cooks and janitors pissed off because you just grabbed a $1 tip while they are covered in sweat)

Every restaurant I have worked posted rule that you get brought up to 7.25 if your tip pull doesn't meet that per hour. In reality you will be called off/sent home before that is possible. Average earnings at the last place I worked when tips included was 25$/hr+ for bushelp, 30$/hr for waithelp OVER TEN YEARS AGO!!

Exactly, restaurant workers make bank with the tips!

Wouldn't tipping at McDonald's be the same as a restaurant? They could share the tips with people in the back just like servers share with cooks, dishwashers, busboys.

Wouldn't tipping at McDonald's be the same as a restaurant? They could share the tips with people in the back just like servers share with cooks, dishwashers, busboys.

Oh, mentos, who thinks every blue collar and service industry worker makes tons of money. Why would anyone even bother going to college?

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, mentos, who thinks every blue collar and service industry worker makes tons of money. Why would anyone even bother going to college?

Not everyone but at any busy restaurant in a metro area, they make bank.

I guess, we should start a gofundme to begin to place tip jar at mcdonalds!!

DC - 15% always due to expense audit rules in the Civil Service and laundering/solicitation avoidance. Will not eat in a restaurant more than twice the M rate for similar reasons. When I catch an employee tipping $100 or higher in DC, I immediately refer the matter to Ft. Roots.

Minneapolis and Metro with Rochester - 20-30% on service for standard restaurants. 100% (multiply bill by 2) in the pandemic for the five Chef run restaurants I visit (Harry Singh's Carribean, Saigon, Angeleas, Crescent Moon, University Best Steakhouse) and pay cash.

And there are very specific reasons why pharmacists and physicians may not accept gratuities (tips). You realize that's considered to be bribery in most professional regulations? There's a difference between fees that are stated charges in open settings, but patient variable compensation is widely held in precedent to mean bribery in our occupations. So no, don't accept a tip for performing a clinical service, it's as much a legal as it is an ethical one.

20% at restaurants..

I have screwed over luggage carrier staff at the airport once because I didn’t know any better. Only tipped him $2 but it should have been $7 based on current criteria.

Felt really terrible once I had a time to think things over. My sincere apology if you are reading this!

lmao at people that pay 100's of dollars of their money to someone for doing their job paid by their employer, as a tip.

Why do you act so foolishly. If you want to ban tipping that;'s fine. Philosophically I agree with you. But back here in the real world, servers get a lower minimum wage and tips to make at least standard minimum wage in most states. Those tips are subject to credit card fees and are shared with the house staff. Also in the real world here in the US we tip. So get used to it. Especially if you are a pharmacist making six figures.

Are there servers in high end establishments that can make good money on a Friday or Saturday Night, sure, But not so much on random Wednesdays.
According to the BLS the average salary is $22K per year
According to Indeed.com average salary is $50K per year incliding tips

Stop with Mickey D"s and other straw men arguments.

So tip these folks. They don't make a great deal of money and we do. It's the non a-hole thing to do....

Is tipping dumb? Sure. Is it logical who gets tips? No. Can you just stop tipping? Sure but it’s a pretty crappy thing to do. It’s not the servers fault you don’t think you should have to tip.

There are restaurants that don’t allow tipping so if you want to change the culture reward those restaurants with your business.

Sometimes social norms do change. Baggers used to get tips before supermarkets forced people to stop tipping. If supermarkets can do it so can restaurants.

Point of order, this only the law in certain states. More forward thinking states a) don’t allow tips to subsidize/take the place of the prevailing minimum wage and b) prevent management from taking from tips (not what you were arguing but apparently this is also state specific).

Those tips are subject to credit card fees and are shared with the house staff.
According to one report I read it is no longer legal to pool tips. I find that hard to believe but I can hardly claim to be an expert on restaurant wage laws.

According to one report I read it is no longer legal to pool tips. I find that hard to believe but I can hardly claim to be an expert on restaurant wage laws.

What state?

ETA: Here’s the 2018 update on the issue:

“In March of 2018, the Fair Labor Standards Act was amended to clarify this issue. Employers that do not take a tip credit and pay employees the full minimum wage may establish a tip pool that includes back-of-house employees. However, employers that do take a tip credit must limit the tip pool to employees who customarily and regularly receive tips.”

Source: Nolo, re: pooling with back of house staff vs FOH.

If tipping is only done in the US, are we supposed to tip taxi drivers in foreign countries?

Usually employees who are tipped get below minimum wage. The problem is some of the states allow for this practice where employers don't have to pay them the minimum wage.

Example: the waiters at my friends hookah lounge were paid 10% of their checks, not including the gratuity automatically added, whatever they got tipped additional handed to them by the customers was theirs and they didn't report it.

The problem was, they were working 12 hour shifts, and on Mondays-Thursdays, it was pretty dead and they would be lucky to have over $1000 in sales those days (if their total was $1000, they were paid $100). Now on Fridays-Sundays, they were sometimes bringing in $5000-10000 in sales, but bad weather could easily cripple that.

Hookah lounge workers got super fked by Covid because obviously based on the hookahs being shared by multiple people, hoses/hookahs being shared by multiple customer groups (only the tips are disposable), no one wants to go out for hookah anymore because it's definitely an easy way to catch Covid. I used to be concerned in the past about TB infections from shared hookah.

Usually employees who are tipped get below minimum wage. The problem is some of the states allow for this practice where employers don't have to pay them the minimum wage.

Example: the waiters at my friends hookah lounge were paid 10% of their checks, not including the gratuity automatically added, whatever they got tipped additional handed to them by the customers was theirs and they didn't report it.

The problem was, they were working 12 hour shifts, and on Mondays-Thursdays, it was pretty dead and they would be lucky to have over $1000 in sales those days (if their total was $1000, they were paid $100). Now on Fridays-Sundays, they were sometimes bringing in $5000-10000 in sales, but bad weather could easily cripple that.

Hookah lounge workers got super fked by Covid because obviously based on the hookahs being shared by multiple people, hoses/hookahs being shared by multiple customer groups (only the tips are disposable), no one wants to go out for hookah anymore because it's definitely an easy way to catch Covid. I used to be concerned in the past about TB infections from shared hookah.

Gross! I'd be concerned about herpes.

If tipping is only done in the US, are we supposed to tip taxi drivers in foreign countries?

Country specific, I never tip in Japan since it’s considered insulting. I round up in Paris. I figure 10% and round in London.

This doesn’t count as a tip to me, but bribes are common in other countries. I will usually place the “tip” in USD inside my passport when presenting to customs in such countries. Just depends. You need plausible deniability if someone doesn’t play along (rare, you gotta know where you are). Or you approach the interaction with the police officer with something like, “I’m sorry I’m taking up your time, what can we do to resolve this?” (in the local language, you say something like that in English, you’re gonna end up paying 2-3x the local rate).

Country specific, I never tip in Japan since it’s considered insulting. I round up in Paris. I figure 10% and round in London.

This doesn’t count as a tip to me, but bribes are common in other countries. I will usually place the “tip” in USD inside my passport when presenting to customs in such countries. Just depends. You need plausible deniability if someone doesn’t play along (rare, you gotta know where you are). Or you approach the interaction with the police officer with something like, “I’m sorry I’m taking up your time, what can we do to resolve this?” (in the local language, you say something like that in English, you’re gonna end up paying 2-3x the local rate).

You tip at customs? They always stamp my passport and I'm on my way in a few seconds.

You tip at customs? They always stamp my passport and I'm on my way in a few seconds.
Yep, if you are in a particularly corrupt country, you should, especially if they have AK-74U's pointed at your vehicles. That excludes most of the First World.

I get it, it’s tough times out there, sometimes you gotta watch every dollar like a hawk. You should look into marrying rich, become a kept man, no shame in that, people have done it since pre-history.

That way, next time you’re celebrating at Denny’s, you can let her handle the bill. Don’t even pretend to try to pay, cuz you’ll know and she’ll know that’s all an act. It’ll be a win-win situation for everyone!
Worked for me. The advice I give though is if you do marry rich, you do work for it. But in terms of opportunity costs, I have had to give up much over my career progression and options to service hers, which while I find acceptable, there are days I regret it. When she decides to upgrade husbands, I'll take the prenup settlement and move on.

Yep, if you are in a particularly corrupt country, you should, especially if they have AK-74U's pointed at your vehicles. That excludes most of the First World.

That doesn't sound like a relaxing vacation.

Gross! I'd be concerned about herpes.

Only if people aren't using their own disposable mouthpieces which the lounges provide. There is definitely a legit concern about droplet based diseases.

Personally, the lounge I go to, I paid them to keep my own hookah on the side with a big ass label "Dr. Sparda Grape Flavor Only" on it so no one uses it. And I don't share it with anyone other than my wife.

If you present a local passport I wouldn’t tip, but if you’re arriving with a blue US passport in certain countries, I would consider slipping the $20 in there.

I’m talking about outside of the US/EU/JP though.... haha like, any corruption-free western democracy, I wouldn’t do this.

That doesn't sound like a relaxing vacation.

It’s the price you pay for cheap everything, the mighty dollar goes far in these places! Just don’t get yourself kidnapped for ransom, and it helps to be dark brown/black.

It’s the price you pay for cheap everything, the mighty dollar goes far in these places! Just don’t get yourself kidnapped for ransom, and it helps to be dark brown/black.

I'd rather spend a few thousand and feel safe.

If federal minimum wage becomes $15, are we still expected to tip?