How much do you tip?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let me clarify my position, I don’t like the notion that my gift comprises a portion of the minimum wage the server takes home. I don’t feel that it’s my job to do that, I’m not an employer. The employer should be providing whatever the minimum wage is, tip is always extra. Luckily, my state recognizes this.

It’s like relying on grandpa’s Christmas money to pay some kid for their agreed upon allowance.

Agreed!

I can assure you that is not the case. That must have been an outlier. I have never come across a server that makes that much money. It’s not the norm at all, and I’m suspicious if it’s even the case for that person. People can say all sorts of things that aren’t true. Lol.

I would not have gone to pharmacy school if I could make 90k easily as a server. Being a server doesn’t require a crap ton of student loans like pharmacy does. Lol.

I guess I’ll have to stick to plumbing as my backup then.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess I’ll have to stick to plumbing as my backup then.
I actually considered this recently. Lol. And I don’t knock anybody for trying to earn a living in an honest way.

pre-covid
Table service 15-20 depending on good of service is provided
Take out 5-10 - higher end at my usual places
uber/lyft- my rides are usually 10-15 - I give a couple of bucks
starbuck, foodtrucks, bottle shopes - $1-$2

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you having fun creating straw men to knock down? All I said was that it isnt as simple as you made it seem to "simply not work those kinds of jobs." Please point out where I stated people in the service industry were all entitled to six figure salaries. You sound erratic. I simply stated most servers make much less than the standard minimum wage, which a lot of people don't know. Because of this, tipping is necessary for them to have any semblance of a basic income.

I have stated it many times already in the above posts why does a tutor make 6.15$ an hour??? A lot of waiters dont even have high school education, they dont even have student loans, why should we be worried about paying them 15$ an hour??? why doesnt a doctor get tipped as well? why doesnt a pharmacist?? they worked their A$- off for many years in school with a lot of debt, you all need to tip 20% in cash too for each office visit. If a colonoscopy costs 1000$, the doctor only makes a part of it, how about chip in minimal 200$(20%) for good service.

... like owlegrad said, they dont make 2.13, they do get the other part from the employer if they dont make enough on tips.

Someone said they know a server who makes 90k, which I would say is accurate considering I see many serve 5-8 tables per hour, $10-30 per table cash tip easily.

It is true, most are untaxed dollars too... Imagine that.. How much of the pharmacist salary is taxed?? what is your take home paycheck after you pay for everything.

Restaurant Sit Down tip amounts

Bad Service = 10%
Good Service = 20%
Exceptional Service = 30%+
Always use the pre-tax subtotal for tipping.

I don't tip on take-out orders.
Delivery I usually tip $3-5.

Barber/Nail Salon/Masseuse, etc - 20%

Reactions: 1 users
You should really ask your boss to pay for it and tell him you will quit if they dont get paid that much and you deserve that much.. or find an alternative career that pays that much. If you really think you deserve more, try to become a manager in the restaurant itself because no one feels sorry for anyone. One of your post above itself says that in your area you can make 10-30$ an hour.. Again as a tutor with a bachelors degree i made 6.15 an hour, others around me were also paid around the same wage...
Poor people should eat cake if they can't buy bread

Expected service = 15%
Great service = 20%
Bad service = 0

Take out = $1 for every $10 spent.

I don't tip the cleaning staff at hotels nor do I tip bartenders for bottle service. I will if they make a mixed drink but pop the lid off a bottle? Get outta here. You're not getting a tip for that.

Dine in (haven't done since March) ~ 20%, round up for great service, round down for lackluster service, no less than 10%
Takeout ~ 10%, depends on the place
Delivery via DD/GH/UE - typically $5, sometimes $6 if on a weekend or the restaurant is tricky with parking
Hotels - $2-3 per night, up to $5 if it's a really nice hotel or a suite
Rideshare - between $3 to $5
Barber - I cut my own hair since COVID started, but used to be $5 flat
Coffee/boba - 10% to 15%

I'll add on, delivery fees and small order fees make me not want to tip the driver.

Other night I just wanted fries, apples and a coffee from the local McDs on the overnight shift, food total is like $5, mofos add on so many fees that it comes out to $10+, and then they want me to tip on top of that? Da ****.

I'll add on, delivery fees and small order fees make me not want to tip the driver.

Other night I just wanted fries, apples and a coffee from the local McDs on the overnight shift, food total is like $5, mofos add on so many fees that it comes out to $10+, and then they want me to tip on top of that? Da ****.
Lmao, pick it up if you can when making such a small order. Uber really screws the customers and their drivers when it comes to small orders. I am assuming you didn't get it for a whole hour too.

None of that goes to the driver though. Get a Chase Sapphire Reserve for free Dashpass and there will be no delivery fee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao, pick it up if you can when making such a small order. Uber really screws the customers and their drivers when it comes to small orders. I am assuming you didn't get it for a whole hour too.

Nah, I work overnight I can't leave the pharmacy (solo hospital pharmacist).

We're technically supposed to take our 15 min break when evening shift is still there, and another 15 minute break when morning shift comes in, and a 30 minute at 3AM (tech answers phone and tells them to call back at 330 unless it's an absolute emergency).

In reality, I'm eating at my desk while watching Netflix on my laptop with the work computer next to it to verify orders as they come in. I don't care that I'm not getting a "real break" where I can leave the pharmacy for an hour. I get to do a lot of **** that the morning and evening pharmacists can't get away with.

If anything, I take an actual 30 minute break around 7-8am or I'll just tell them I'm going home early.

None of that goes to the driver though. Get a Chase Sapphire Reserve for free Dashpass and there will be no delivery fee.

I know, I mean, if it's a $5 order than I'm still gonna tip 20% which is $1. I'm tipping based on the food amount not the tax + fee + food amount.

If it's a regular $20 order, then yeah I'll just give em $5.

I mean, I never saw the guys W2, but he worked the dinner shift, 6 days a week, including every weekend. Pretty sure if they had brunch he worked jt. High end steak house. Every holiday they were open.

I'll attest to a close college friend who made about $65k/yr working at D&B in southern california in the mid-00s. Probably 32hrs/week+. Lots of private parties by companies or individuals who will give a flat gratuity for the staff.

Not exactly comparable to your average/high end restaurant, but I think today $90k is feasible at a lofty restaurant.

It's hard work, I mean you're not mining coal, but I'd come over after her shift and she'd be straight exhausted.

I'll attest to a close college friend who made about $65k/yr working at D&B in southern california in the mid-00s. Probably 32hrs/week+. Lots of private parties by companies or individuals who will give a flat gratuity for the staff.

Not exactly comparable to your average/high end restaurant, but I think today $90k is feasible at a lofty restaurant.

It's hard work, I mean you're not mining coal, but I'd come over after her shift and she'd be straight exhausted.

Yep I live near a popular sushi restaurant where many attractive golddigger girls in their 20s work. People tip them stupid amounts like 50%+ cash. They easily make 65k+ per year.

Valet parking is the thing that usually confuses me especially when the place I'm visiting doesn't charge for parking. Is $2 a good tip upon receipt of the car?

Also pro tip for tipping at restaurants: try to tip in cash to your server and be sneaky about it. Don't just leave it on the table. I try to transfer the money with a handshake. Reason being: some owners like to take a percentage of the tips for themselves or collect the tips to split among the staff. Fk that. I only want my tip going to the waiter who was with me.

Valet parking is the thing that usually confuses me especially when the place I'm visiting doesn't charge for parking. Is $2 a good tip upon receipt of the car?

I ate at a steakhouse once and it was pretty late at night so the parking lot was empty. When we left, a guy handed his ticket to the valet driver. The valet driver grabbed the guy's car which was parked in the spot next to ours. It was literally a ten seconds walk, so dumb to do valet at that point.

I hate pooled tips too. Any poker players here? They pool tips at Foxwoods which annoys me. How much do you tip per winning hand? I usually do $1-2 regardless of pot size. But I see some people throwing down $5 and $10 chips for tip at a 1-2 table.

I ate at a steakhouse once and it was pretty late at night so the parking lot was empty. When we left, a guy handed his ticket to the valet driver. The valet driver grabbed the guy's car which was parked in the spot next to ours. It was literally a ten seconds walk, so dumb to do valet at that point.

I hate pooled tips too. Any poker players here? They pool tips at Foxwoods which annoys me. How much do you tip per winning hand? I usually do $1-2 regardless of pot size. But I see some people throwing down $5 and $10 chips for tip at a 1-2 table.

Yea I play a good bit of 1/3 and 2/5 (at least pre covid). Anywhere I've played they pool tips/they go straight into a general lock box that I believe just goes into a general pool. I think it is to try to prevent cheating between a dealer and player. I usually tip a buck or two on small pots and adjust up some according to the pot size to maybe $15 or so.

Yep I live near a popular sushi restaurant where many attractive golddigger girls in their 20s work. People tip them stupid amounts like 50%+ cash. They easily make 65k+ per year.
Lol, my friend was plain jane as can be, but knew how to play it up at work. I saw her at work once and almost didn't recognize her, hahah.

Also pro tip for tipping at restaurants: try to tip in cash to your server and be sneaky about it. Don't just leave it on the table. I try to transfer the money with a handshake. Reason being: some owners like to take a percentage of the tips for themselves or collect the tips to split among the staff. Fk that. I only want my tip going to the waiter who was with me.

What? Is that legal outside of California? Businesses have been cited and fined up the wazoo for skimming tips here. I'm not a fan of nanny state policies, but I'm not tipping the owner/supervisor, I'm tipping the employee. Good lord.

I tip $5 for valet parking, mostly because I don't go to strip clubs and carry $1 at any point in time, and $5 is the smallest denomination I have on hand usually.

Bahaha, this happened to me. We were the last ones out of the restaurant just after midnight, and my car was 10 steps away. I was like... dude can I just have my keys and handed him his tip. He gave me the keys.

I think my rule is if I decline the service (like housekeeping), I'm still going to tip you because that was out of your control.

Lol, my friend was plain jane as can be, but knew how to play it up at work. I saw her at work once and almost didn't recognize her, hahah.

What? Is that legal outside of California? Businesses have been cited and fined up the wazoo for skimming tips here. I'm not a fan of nanny state policies, but I'm not tipping the owner/supervisor, I'm tipping the employee. Good lord.

I tip $5 for valet parking, mostly because I don't go to strip clubs and carry $1 at any point in time, and $5 is the smallest denomination I have on hand usually.

I don't know if it's legal but it definitely does happen. My friend is one of those kind of owners. They charge a 10% gratuity on all checks which he takes to redistribute. I mentioned to him many times that this discourages people from tipping anything additional because they feel that they have already tipped. This practice is how I learned to slip a $5 to the waiter on my way out (my usual hookah bill was $20).

I play poker, I only tip on big wins (over $250 pot).

90k no taxes, think about that... thats way more than what pharmacists make.. for something that does not even require a high school diploma.

90k no taxes, think about that... thats way more than what pharmacists make.. for something that does not even require a high school diploma.

And thats nowhere near what your average server makes, and servers also pay taxes. Cherry picking outliers and comparing them to the average of another field is relatively pointless.

I can't find the original post mentioning 90k now but wasn't that referring to a server who worked 6 days a week and every holiday? Not exactly a fair comparison and it would explain why you don't see a whole lot of practicing pharmacists leaving their jobs to wait tables.

I can't find the original post mentioning 90k now but wasn't that referring to a server who worked 6 days a week and every holiday? Not exactly a fair comparison and it would explain why you don't see a whole lot of practicing pharmacists leaving their jobs to wait tables.
Look at all the posts in this forum, all pharmacist whining here are looking for other jobs.

Last edited:
And thats nowhere near what your average server makes, and servers also pay taxes. Cherry picking outliers and comparing them to the average of another field is relatively pointless.

I knew people who have made 40-60$ an hour on tips especially on weekends and even more on holidays, when i was a tutor who made 6.15$ an hour, again no one felt sorry for me where i had made even less after paying taxes on it... Think about it each table of 4 people orders 60-100$ in food on average. thats 15-20$ extra they make per table... they just dont have just one table where they serve..

• Haha
I knew people who have made 40-60$ an hour on tips especially on weekends and even more on holidays, when i was a tutor who made 6.15$ an hour, again no one felt sorry for me where i had made even less after paying taxes on it... Think about it each table of 4 people orders 60-100$ in food on average. thats 15-20$ extra they make per table... they just dont have just one table where they serve..

We get it, you hate tipping and look down on people in the service industry because they don't have a college education.

Since you are so obsessed with members of the medical field getting tipped, allow me to give you a tip right now: No one likes people who are constantly playing the victim, so please stop making victim noises.

We get it, you hate tipping and look down on people in the service industry because they don't have a college education.

Since you are so obsessed with members of the medical field getting tipped, allow me to give you a tip right now: No one likes people who are constantly playing the victim, so please stop making victim noises.

Not true, Mentos liked my comment... Not a victim, I dont and a lot of other people noted like other people getting suckered..and bamboozled because some group like waiters, hotel staff tried to play the victim card.

Tipping is a function of social norms, not a methodical and egalitarian compensation method.

FWIW, I 1:1 tutored a developmentally disabled individual in high school and got an annual Christmas gift/tip.

Tipping is a function of social norms, not a methodical and egalitarian compensation method.

FWIW, I 1:1 tutored a developmentally disabled individual in high school and got an annual Christmas gift/tip.

Right, which should be extended to Doctors, pharmacists, dentist, apartment managers, HOA, gas station clerk, your CPA who does taxes too... not just a waiter. Why stop at a waiter... I hope you have enough money to tip 20% for everything, otherwise you may get not so great "service".

Right, which should be extended to Doctors, pharmacists, dentist, apartment managers, HOA, gas station clerk, your CPA who does taxes too... not just a waiter. Why stop at a waiter... I hope you have enough money to tip 20% for everything, otherwise you may get not so great "service".

I’ve had many patients send gifts to the entire clinic after completion of treatment, that’s pretty much a tip-in-kind. How do you calculate 20% of a $0 copay/cost share, anyway? Gas station clerk I’ve tipped when they pumped my gas & cleaned my windows. CPA is my friend and I get her something nice at tax time. HOA isn’t a person, can’t you just vote to pay its vendors more? I don’t have that power at a restaurant, hence tip, and again, social norms.

And that’s fine to have that opinion, and this being the internet, no one knows what people do in real life. I have a friend from Sweden who refuses to tip anyone when she’s in the US, and she actually likes to argue with clerks about how stupid it is to have a $9.99 product on the shelf and not display tax (she’s used to VAT and post-tax prices up front).

She’s like a Swedish Karen, and while it was kind of funny at first, we had to clean up after her when we left bars and other establishments.

It’s like someone driving 70 mph in the fast lane because “that’s how it should be.”

Have you seen any practicing pharmacist leave to take a job as a server?

They are apparently too over qualified for that... according to this forum here, they wont get a job so they are sitting at home seeing their loan investments capitalize every day.

I’ve had many patients send gifts to the entire clinic after completion of treatment, that’s pretty much a tip-in-kind. How do you calculate 20% of a $0 copay/cost share, anyway? Gas station clerk I’ve tipped when they pumped my gas & cleaned my windows. CPA is my friend and I get her something nice at tax time. HOA isn’t a person, can’t you just vote to pay its vendors more? I don’t have that power at a restaurant, hence tip, and again, social norms.

And that’s fine to have that opinion, and this being the internet, no one knows what people do in real life. I have a friend from Sweden who refuses to tip anyone when she’s in the US, and she actually likes to argue with clerks about how stupid it is to have a $9.99 product on the shelf and not display tax (she’s used to VAT and post-tax prices up front).

She’s like a Swedish Karen, and while it was kind of funny at first, we had to clean up after her when we left bars and other establishments.

It’s like someone driving 70 mph in the fast lane because “that’s how it should be.”
Wow... I realy wont ask you how much you make as a pharmacist, you must be loaded. 20% of a insurance money that they pay... Say 100$ a visit, 500$(for example Januvia) for medications, doctor should get 25$, and pharmacist should get 100$ tip.

Someone said they know a server who makes 90k, which I would say is accurate considering I see many serve 5-8 tables per hour, $10-30 per table cash tip easily.
I knew a server who made 3-500 a night in tips. Just worked the job as side gig Friday and Saturday night. Didn’t pay taxes on majority of it. The worst part for me is when there is poor service, lack of refills. Waiting forever for check etc

Wow... I realy wont ask you how much you make as a pharmacist, you must be loaded. 20% of a insurance money that they pay... Say 100$ a visit, 500$(for example Januvia) for medications, doctor should get 25$, and pharmacist should get 100$ tip.

lol

I hope it sounds as ridiculous as a waiter making 60$ an hour without taxes.

lol

Social norms aren’t supposed to be fair.

Why do women have to cover their nipples in public, but men don’t? That’s equally ridiculous.

lol

Social norms aren’t supposed to be fair.

Why do women have to cover their nipples in public, but men don’t? That’s equally ridiculous.
Fair or not, you are free to do whatever you can with your money, its your money do whatever you want with your money... I am here to educate that this social norm is rediculous and to educate that what waiters using victim card is not true, If that social norm exist, why not just also tip your doctor or a pharmacist... 20% of the fair value of the services received... If januvia costs 500$ for a months supply, you pay 100$ as tips to your pharmacists.. Its not supposed to be fair- its a social norm Right?? Pharmacists pay is going down, they are having a hard time paying loans... help them out...

Last edited:
Fair or not, you are free to do whatever you can with your money, its your money do whatever you want with your money... I am here to educate that this social norm is rediculous and to educate that what waiters using victim card is not true, If that social norm exist, why not just also tip your doctor or a pharmacist... 20% of the fair value of the services received... If januvia costs 500$ for a months supply, you pay 100$ as tips to your pharmacists.. Its not supposed to be fair- its a social norm Right?? Pharmacists pay is going down, they are having a hard time paying loans... help them out...

Lol I don’t think you understand what a social norm is. I don’t really care what you do (or don’t do) with your money, but you get brake checked by me if you’re doing <70 in the #1 lane.

lmao at people that pay 100's of dollars of their money to someone for doing their job paid by their employer, as a tip.

I get it, it’s tough times out there, sometimes you gotta watch every dollar like a hawk. You should look into marrying rich, become a kept man, no shame in that, people have done it since pre-history.

That way, next time you’re celebrating at Denny’s, you can let her handle the bill. Don’t even pretend to try to pay, cuz you’ll know and she’ll know that’s all an act. It’ll be a win-win situation for everyone!