How much does PA school miss out on medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is just about the only reason I havent dropped out and switched to nursing with the aim of becoming a crna or a PA. Respect. as far as a career it sounds like a pretty solid deal.
This is all well and good until you see how badly physicians get **** on by administrators

Members don't see this ad.

This is all well and good until you see how badly physicians get **** on by administrators

Nobody get crapped on by administrators. As a physician, you will always have the option to take your talent elsewhere. Physicians said that they're being crapped on by admin people because they're feeling underpaid for their production. I don't know whether the criticism is warrant or not. But, these physicians will always have the opportunity to join a private practice group and get paid for based on production.

Nobody get crapped on by administrators. As a physician, you will always have the option to take your talent elsewhere. Physicians said that they're being crapped on by admin people because they're feeling underpaid for their production. I don't know whether the criticism is warrant or not. But, these physicians will always have the opportunity to join a private practice group and get paid for based on production.

Don’t kid yourself. A place that treats their PAs badly will also be the place to treat their physicians badly. You are also not a slave as a PA and can change jobs. The problems that lead to dissatisfaction in medicine are not specific to either PAs or MDs, but are systemic for everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t kid yourself. A place that treats their PAs badly will also be the place to treat their physicians badly. You are also not a slave as a PA and can change jobs. The problems that lead to dissatisfaction in medicine are not specific to either PAs or MDs, but are systemic for everyone.

That place will probably have a hard time attracting physicians then. When the demand is more than the supply, you will always have the leverage. If you feel like you're being crapped on by admin people, you don't know your own self-worth and don't value yourself.

That place will probably have a hard time attracting physicians then. When the demand is more than the supply, you will always have the leverage. If you feel like you're being crapped on by admin people, you don't know your own self-worth and don't value yourself.
with the expansion of primary care slots, and of medical schools in general demand will not outstrip supply forever. What happens in 15 years when all the rich boomers are dead?

Reactions: 4 users
with the expansion of primary care slots, and of medical schools in general demand will not outstrip supply forever. What happens in 15 years when all the rich boomers are dead?
Man, why can't more medical students be like you....

The environment is toxic. I said it. Medical school in the united states is toxic. People will push and shove and walk over fallen bodies to be ahead.
The remaining people are left pessimistic.
Meanwhile borntobeDO is some Hercules reincarnate, he is immortal, which is why he is so positive and supportive.

The environment is toxic. I said it. Medical school in the united states is toxic. People will push and shove and walk over fallen bodies to be ahead.
The remaining people are left pessimistic.
Meanwhile borntobeDO is some Hercules reincarnate, he is immortal, which is why he is so positive and supportive.
Lol, this can't be serious. I am a recovering pessimist at best. I walk the line between insanity and realism everyday, and at the very border consider which path I tread down. But then I realize that the movement under the hands is real, and that bones, while yet fused in sutures, may move. The SBS tells me her desire and I help her achieve it. Harmony, its the DO way.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol, this can't be serious. I am a recovering pessimist at best. I walk the line between insanity and realism everyday, and at the very border consider which path I tread down. But then I realize that the movement under the hands is real, and that bones, while yet fused in sutures, may move. The SBS tells me her desire and I help her achieve it. Harmony, its the DO way.

Pessimism is a good way of thinking about some things. I always like to plan for the worst case scenario. I have 3rd and 4th year students telling me not to worry about what it takes to get a residency when I ask them, do my grades matter when getting a residency.
Anyway, keep on chugging man, youre sort of a light in a tunnel. Except this is no ordinary tunnel, basic sciences are like trying to wind my way thru someones colon and escape before a fast moving poop engulfs me.

Too young, and haven't been burned enough... yet. They will be. Funny thing is we make jokes about OMM, when it could be a real differentiator between us, NPs and MDs. The only other people who do it (Chiros) can't prescribe, and wish they could (hence why there are Chiros in my DO class). I think in the future some of us might actually wish they tried a bit more with OMT, especially if you end up in family med, its an easy way to make your patients choose you over a NP.
Pessimism is a good way of thinking about some things. I always like to plan for the worst case scenario. I have 3rd and 4th year students telling me not to worry about what it takes to get a residency when I ask them, do my grades matter when getting a residency.
Anyway, keep on chugging man, youre sort of a light in a tunnel. Except this is no ordinary tunnel, basic sciences are like trying to wind my way thru someones colon and escape before a fast moving poop engulfs me.

LOL!
Ah the enterofascial release, a most useful technique following mesenteric. Us DO's could put probiotics out of business if more did like you are. Thanks for the laughs

Reactions: 1 user
wow I'm just a lowly 3rd year medical student and I got 4/5 right....tells you how much NPs know...
What's even worse is this: I think FNP_Blix tried to back himself up by saying that his SP didn't know some of the answers.

Don't worry, my friend. Our buddies at McDonalds gave us the magical gift of infecting almost everyone with diabetes that pretty much needs help from every specialty.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Im pretty heavily focused on doing some sort of primary care as it is at a DO school.
For me when I observe other specialties I see
1) Too Difficult to get/ do : Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, Dermatology
2) Very repetitive : General Surgery
3) I dont like kids = no pediatrics

Which brings me mainly to family medicine and internal medicine or psych (dont like psych much either)
What exactly differentiates a PA from a medical student besides the degree and schooling in the career. My three experiences with a PA were A) in a interventional cardiology clinic, she pretty much did all patient consults B) Emergency room she saved me from severe dehydration C) A low cost family clinic
In all three cases I saw the PA work independently, so what is it that allows them to perform almost the same job as family doctors and some hospitalists with only 2 years of education?
At my school, I've taught in our PA program at times. I'd say that the material they need to know from my subject is about 75% of what my med students need to know. I base this from the list of objectives given to my to teach by the course coordinator, who is a PA.

At my school, I've taught in our PA program at times. I'd say that the material they need to know from my subject is about 75% of what my med students need to know. I base this from the list of objectives given to my to teach by the course coordinator, who is a PA.

I think I’ve narrowed down where you teach to three schools Obviously won’t be saying the three but I’m glad my detective skills are working lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Its not what I want to do , but I wont lie, based on your information and what Ive heard, PA doesnt seem like a bad option for many people looking into healthcare fields where they can somewhat decide patient treatment.

Mild confession: I was just treated by a PA for an itch. She was very thorough in considering all possibilities, tests, and treatments.

OP, I would stick with medical school unless you are truly unhappy with it. Its a long road, but there is a reason doctors are respected.

You should have just gone to dental school and gotten the best of both worlds. They actually get to have a life outside of the medicine that they practice. If you had the smarts to get into DO school, you could give DDS a shot. Its never too late, and its only 4 years! They get to be doctors and make 150-200K and work 40 hours/week and not have midlevel encroachment.

As far as the PA=DNP=MD/DO, im surprised people actually think this. In the clinic I worked at we have a couple NPs who were wonderful to work with, who would in no way compare their education as equal to MD/DO education. Ive taken two Nursing classes as well as undergrad bio classes and now medical school level classes of the same name. The content on the powerpoint slides and the amount of slides for the nursing students is literally 1/4. Its on another planet the amount of work it takes for medical school.

The term "doctor" in a clinical and hospital setting should be reserved for people who have gone to medical school, with exception cases for DDS, DPM, and surgical ODs (yes, a small percentage of Optometrists can do surgery). "Physicians" I think should be limited to MD/DO, although again, there is a case to be made for DPM (Currently being determined by Congress) and DDS who get the MD after residency.

Its not what I want to do , but I wont lie, based on your information and what Ive heard, PA doesnt seem like a bad option for many people looking into healthcare fields where they can somewhat decide patient treatment.

Mild confession: I was just treated by a PA for an itch. She was very thorough in considering all possibilities, tests, and treatments.

What would you classify them as? Midlevels?

I do agree there is a big difference in basic science training with ODs. Where most DDS and DPM schools have to take Medical School equivalent corsework (some even take the exact same classes with the MD/DO students), OD 1st year curriculum consists of classes like "Optical Biology" and "Geometry of the Eye" vs DDS having to take medical school level Biochemistry and Physiology.

Not a chance. They are not doctors.

OP, I would stick with medical school unless you are truly unhappy with it. Its a long road, but there is a reason doctors are respected.

You should have just gone to dental school and gotten the best of both worlds. They actually get to have a life outside of the medicine that they practice. If you had the smarts to get into DO school, you could give DDS a shot. Its never too late, and its only 4 years! They get to be doctors and make 150-200K and work 40 hours/week and not have midlevel encroachment.

As far as the PA=DNP=MD/DO, im surprised people actually think this. In the clinic I worked at we have a couple NPs who were wonderful to work with, who would in no way compare their education as equal to MD/DO education. Ive taken two Nursing classes as well as undergrad bio classes and now medical school level classes of the same name. The content on the powerpoint slides and the amount of slides for the nursing students is literally 1/4. Its on another planet the amount of work it takes for medical school.

The term "doctor" in a clinical and hospital setting should be reserved for people who have gone to medical school, with exception cases for DDS, DPM, and surgical ODs (yes, a small percentage of Optometrists can do surgery). "Physicians" I think should be limited to MD/DO, although again, there is a case to be made for DPM (Currently being determined by Congress) and DDS who get the MD after residency.
The dentists who do 6-year OMFS residency are physicians because they got a DDS/DMD and a MD degree.

Reactions: 1 user
What would you classify them as? Midlevels?

I do agree there is a big difference in basic science training with ODs. Where most DDS and DPM schools have to take Medical School equivalent corsework (some even take the exact same classes with the MD/DO students), OD 1st year curriculum consists of classes like "Optical Biology" and "Geometry of the Eye" vs DDS having to take medical school level Biochemistry and Physiology.

No, they aren’t mid-levels, they are their own thing: Optometrists. It’s considered an allied health field.

Woooww I wish I could give gold for this. Did not see it turning that way