How much does where you get your psyD REALLY matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyc13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

My question is how much of a difference in the end does it make where you got your psyD from? Specifically, do those who get psyD's from university-based programs benefit career-wise over those who went to free-standing professional schools? Are they more competitive for certain jobs and if so which ones? Basically I've been completely torn since I got accepted by the Wright Institute as well as the University of Denver. I strongly prefer the location of the Wright Institute in San Francisco, and I loved the feel of the program, but I know denver has a stronger reputation, is university-based, possibly better opportunities later on, and so forth...hence the dilemma.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Match stats tend be alot better for the few university based Psy.Ds than from the professional schools. Reputation of program can certainly effect what internships you could realistically expect to get. For example, some some practicums sights in the bay area do not even look at argosy students, or at least they are beaten out by competition from other more reputable programs for the spots. Reputation of the program will play less of a role in job attainment, although not being able to get APA or strong pre-doc internships can certainly effect the experience one gets, and therefore effect what sites will consider you.

I'm thinking the farther away from the schooling you get, the less it matters, though in the process it could make a difference. Internship isn't the end all and be all of a career, and the same can be said about post-doc.....but it can matter in certain circumstances.

In my case I am interested in working in some settings that are more competitive, so getting a solid APA internship and post-doc is required to make that happen. I'm at a decent program, which means I have to make sure to capitalize on other opportuniteis to strengthen my package so I can be competitive as I move through the process.

I know what you mean about The Wright Institute, I loved the feel of it, but the poor match %'s (geographic restriction is a big factor) and lack of research were two things I couldn't overlook. I looked at UD too....though Colorado is flooded with psychologists, so I was told by some professionals that it can be hard to start up there (though many do it, and many do quite well there).

I'd probably look at what you want to do as a career, and then work backwards to see which program better suits your goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all.

My question is how much of a difference in the end does it make where you got your psyD from? Specifically, do those who get psyD's from university-based programs benefit career-wise over those who went to free-standing professional schools? Are they more competitive for certain jobs and if so which ones? Basically I've been completely torn since I got accepted by the Wright Institute as well as the University of Denver. I strongly prefer the location of the Wright Institute in San Francisco, and I loved the feel of the program, but I know denver has a stronger reputation, is university-based, possibly better opportunities later on, and so forth...hence the dilemma.
thanks!

I agree with what others have said on this board. Another factor to consider is what you want to do as a career. In private practice settings, reputation of graduate program and APA pre-doc internships are not a huge emphasis. I have heard from many practicing psychologists that students who want to go into private practice should focus on obtaining a position as a psych assistantship right after their Master's Degree. This way, by the time you graduate you will have built up a decent clientele base and have learned how to connect with various referral sources.

However, if you want to work in a hospital, VA, or within an academic medical school setting, you should go to the program with the better reputation.

If you hope to stay in the Bay Area and go into private practice, the Wright may be right....because you will make local connections. It is however, a very crowded labor market. If you wish to have a broader scope, UDenver is probably more widely recognized and seen as a stronger program. Ultimately, with either one, it will have much more to do with how your prepare yourself and how you present yourself when seeking positions after graduation