How much embryology can I expect on Step 1????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmlequestion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how much (%) of emryology can i expect on the test? Is there a list with % overall somewhere for all the different subjects and undersubjects?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

you only need to the VERY basics. in my opinion, it would be a mistake to read an embryo-specific book, whether it's larsen or brs. what's in first aid should be more than sufficient. even if you get something complicated, there will most likely only be a few questions, so it's just no high enough yield to worry about. good luck.

usmlequestion said:
Just wondering how much (%) of emryology can i expect on the test?

As much as they give you.

Sarcastic answer? Yes, but also true.

After talking to my classmates after Step 1, it seemed that each person had a unique test with a wide variety of what was tested. For example, I had very little embryo and microbiology but a lot of gross anatomy, neuroanatomy, biochemistry, and molecular biology. I had tons of endocrine and GI, but very little renal or cardiovascular. Others had much different exams. It is luck of the draw, so my best advice is to learn as much as you can. My strategy was to know enough about as many topics as I could, rather than knowing certain topics very well at the expense of other topics. You either get the question right or wrong. You do not get extra points for being 100% certain of an answer vs. being 50% certain. Therefore, I used First Aid for my primary source for several topics, such as embryo, micro, gross anatomy, pharmacology, behavioral sciences, and biochemistry. I felt it was adequate for all of those topics except biochemistry. I scored 245/99. Good luck on Step 1!

usmlequestion said:
Just wondering how much (%) of emryology can i expect on the test? Is there a list with % overall somewhere for all the different subjects and undersubjects?

Thanks.
My test was approximately 3% Embryology (8-10 questions). They were all very straightforward, were in the form of vignettes, and HY Embryology was sufficient for my questions.

Your exam will differ, however, perhaps wildly.