How much eye contact do you maintain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scout01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that when I speak to people, I always try to maintain eye contact, but if I do it for too long I start to lose my train of thought. The only way I can keep focusing on what I'm saying is by looking away from their eyes every so often, but I've been told it's important to always maintain eye contact. Isn't it too piercing or awkward to have someone ALWAYS looking directly into your eyes? I'm not sure what to do. :/

How much eye contact do you maintain during an interview? Do you look at the interviewers the entire time, or do you direct your eyes to somewhere else sometimes?

Members don't see this ad.

"always make eye contact" does not mean "CONSTANTLY make eye contact"

Just make eye contact ever few seconds or so, like you would in any normal face-to-face conversation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's fine if you just do it for couple of seconds and then focus on something else and come back to it afterward. And yes, it is creepy if you stare at someone for too long. :eek:

Just do what feels natural like you would in a normal conversation.

Most of my Pharm school interviewers have had more than one interviewer. That makes it easy because you have to look around and make eye contact with all of the individuals.

The interviewers look away occasionally too. They glance down at their notes, list of questions, etc... So, they will break it up too.

My husband who has had extensive experience in interviewing people gave me a few tips. He said don't mad dog the interviewer (meaning don't just stare at their eyes the entire time!). It is okay to look away from the interviewer. But don't quickly look away if you notice the interviewer looking at you. Don't dart your eyes back and forth because it makes you look like you're lying. Also, don't look down when you are talking. Keep your head up at all times. He said it helps to use your hands to express yourself because it can break up the constant eye contact. Hope that helps!

Something I've noticed is that a person who speaks usually maintains less eye contact then when they are spoken to. I guess it should be okay to look away every so often to give the interviewer "a break" to process what you're saying.

Anyway, thanks everyone, and thanks for the tips, velvet. :) I'll try those. I do keep my head up, but my eyes glance down sometimes. :/

Yeah definitely keep consistent eye contact. Its ok to look away at times. You'll actually notice the interviewer looking away from you when they are going through their thought process.

Don't make too much eye contact to the point that you're eye raping your interviewer.

Don't look away for anything. Think of it like the staring game - no blinking, no looking away, just stare. Bulge your eyes a little just so they know you are giving them your full attention. When you blink it makes you look shifty, so avoid at all costs.

OK, seriously just give them the normal amount of eye contact - if you catch yourself staring at the wall or floor fix it so that you are looking at the interviewers instead. Don't sweat it though, just act naturally. Your years of speak with people have well prepared you for this task, so don't let your BP get elevated, you will be fine

Last edited:
When giving eye contact, it's best if you look at one of the eyes, not both at the same time. First, it's a lot more manageable and second, staring at both eyes can be pretty intense for the other person, which can make them feel uneasy. Also, if looking at someone's eyes is that uncomfortable, look between their eyebrows instead. Trust me, they will feel like you're giving them great eye contact when you're really not lol

How much eye contact do you maintain during an interview? Do you look at the interviewers the entire time, or do you direct your eyes to somewhere else sometimes?

LOTS! and I love to Laugh a lot :laugh:

Sometimes the interviewer will look at you but sometimes they don't lol. During my interview, only 1 of the 2 professors looked at me because the other was busy taking notes. But yes you should make eyes contact to all of the interviewers.

Somewhere between this:

eye_contact.jpg

And this:
images

here's an idea: spend some time looking at the bridge of someone's nose , it will feel to you and them mostly like you're looking at them , but it wont be quite as intrusive as staring directly into their eyes. obviously, if you are very close to them , this may make your eyes appear cross eyed, so be careful

The thought of that is very funny:laugh:
I second this notion:rofl:. Honestly keeping eye contact with a interviewer isn't hard at all it just this weird emphasis ppl keep putting on the word. If you havent heard ppl saying it looks like you never pay attention to their convo or hear girls and guys say your a creeper for your constantly staring shifty eyes i say you've long since mastered eye contact.