how much free time do you really have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bionerd89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of MS1 and MS2 students who post on SDN very frequently so I'm wondering how much free time do 1st and 2nd year students really have.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed a lot of MS1 and MS2 students who post on SDN very frequently so I'm wondering how much free time do 1st and 2nd year students really have.

Thanks

Hopefully 4 hours of studying on weekdays , and 6 or so on the weekend is enough. Aiming for psych, not derm.

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully 4 hours of studying on weekdays , and 6 or so on the weekend is enough. Aiming for psych, not derm.

I was under the impression that we were suppose to study like a least 2-3 hrs per day. I was looking at my class schedule and it seems like class usually ends at 3 pm so I guess we have the rest of the day to study or do whatever.

There seems to be a lot of people on here that are interested in psych.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fwiw, I have a friend who's an ms1 and it seems to me he is studying at least 12 hours a day including weekends (this includes class time and OMM lab). He is an average student.

This seems excessive to me but what do I know?

I'm hoping to allocate no more than sixty hours a week for schooling (this includes attending mandatory lectures labs and board prep), and another ten hours for other things to boost my CV. This will leave enough time to unwind and spend time with my wife and kid.

It is completely dependent on your class rank goal and studying efficiency.

There's a big difference from passing your classes or even being an average student compared to being at the top. Some people incorporate board review such as Firecracker into their routine as well.

There's also studying strategies that take way more time compared to others. For example it may take someone 20 hours to re-watch lectures twice before an exam where someone with quality notes could hit the material 5x in less time.

Thanks

I probably post as frequently as anyone. I go to an MD school, so keep in mind that I have no OMM time.

About 20 hours of lecture per week.
4 hours studying M-F, maybe 10-12 hours total on weekends. So that's 20+20+12 = 52 hours on per week on everything school related. More if it's a memorization heavy class (like micro) and less if it's a concepts class (like physio). Also add about 7 hours of studying for the week before an exam.

I don't make flashcards, don't make note sheets (I write notes on syllabi/power points), don't listen to lectures more than once, and don't bother reading my course notes more than once. Lecture x1, read notes x1, FA, review book, questions, and FC the rest of the time.

I sleep for 8 hours every night, so on weekdays that leaves me 8 hours to do whatever I want. With that time I post here, play intramural sports, do research (yuck) and spend time with my SO.

My test scores range from 1-1.5SD above the mean and my class rank last I checked was 7th (fluctuates between 7 and 12). I am an MS1.

Reactions: 1 users
I probably post as frequently as anyone. I go to an MD school, so keep in mind that I have no OMM time.

4 hours studying M-F, maybe 10-12 hours total on weekends. So that's 20+20+12 = 52 hours on per week on everything school related. More if it's a memorization heavy class (like micro) and less if it's a concepts class (like physio). Also add about 7 hours of studying for the week before an exam.

I don't make flashcards, don't make note sheets (I write notes on syllabi/power points), don't listen to lectures more than once, and don't bother reading my course notes more than once. Lecture x1, read notes x1, FA, review book, questions, and FC the rest of the time.

I sleep for 8 hours every night, so on weekdays that leaves me 8 hours to do whatever I want. With that time I post here, play intramural sports, do research (yuck) and spend time with my SO.

My test scores range from 1-1.5SD above the mean and my class rank last I checked was 7th (fluctuates between 7 and 12). I am an MS1.

I am an incoming student. Glad to know that its not that intensive in med school. Averaged around 4-5 hours a day during undergrad, which was okay. Left me a lot of time to do other stuff.

I am an incoming student. Glad to know that its not that intensive in med school. Averaged around 4-5 hours a day during undergrad, which was okay. Left me a lot of time to do other stuff.
From what I hear, it gets worse later. From what I've seen almost every day, residency is a soul sucking beast.

One of my friends is MS1 and he's always on League of Legends..

When I was MSI I had class 8-5 every day. I had study group from 6-10pm M-Th. I took Friday night, and all Saturday off to be with my kids. Did a noon-10pm session with my study group on Sunday to prep/review for Monday exam.

Current 1st year, we have no class ranking sooooo

It's really hard to say because our schedule is inconsistent. Some weeks we have 3 hour lectures a day, some weeks we have had 9-4 lectures. I usually will fill in the rest of the hours (up by 7:30am, in bed by 12ish) with studying. Take an hour and a half to work out 3-4 times a week, throw in some 30 min breaks here and there, eat for 15 mins. You can make free time if you compensate by really hardcore studying one day but the free time usually comes more at the end of a systems block. That might be a little more than every 5-6 weeks. If I have upcoming exams, that week usually consists of more studying and less breaks.

I have less free time than I ever had so prepare for that. You really can't expect to spend 3 hours in the gym, go out for beers every Thursday, and etc like in undergrad but it's not like we NEVER have fun. The schedule always shifts and the key is finding the balance of doing certain things you like and sacrificing other fun times in order to maintain your studies.

Non-trad DO, treated ms1 like 8-5 job M-F, worked out 1 hour per day, and spent an hour or so with my wife watching tv. I studied usually one day on the weekend on days before exam, and usually scored very well. I found by keeping a steady schedule I never had to cram or panick. Year 2 was the same schedule up till December, at which I started board studying. I study from 6-8 with a few hours in there for lunch, exercise, and mandatory course work.

Honestly, I have yet to study on a Friday/Sat/Sun night for first 2 years. Its all about planning.

Reactions: 2 users

There's a lot more info to cover so you'll need to be more efficient (or be willing to get lower grades) if you want to study the same number of hours as undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)

When do you have anatomy lab????

No way to tell how much free time you will have. Completely depends on your study habits/ efficiency as well as the school you are attending. Someone might "study" for 6 hours but how much of that time is actually focused productive time?

I'm going to a systems based/ blocked school. The week after a test is not near as busy and will leave plenty of time for socializing and free time. The week before an exam.. not so much. People that go to schools where attendance isn't required and lectures are video recorded will sleep in until 10am and then watch lectures at 1.5 speed, study until 3 and then they are done. It really is going to depend on you and your school.

It's going to be a lot of studying. There's no way around it. It will suck, but all of your peers will be going through the same thing and eventually you will get used to it. Utilize your time in the most productive way possible and you will have free time most days. Take a day off during the weekend if that makes you feel better. Or study saturday and leave saturday night for you. My best advice is to make a plan and try your best to stick to it. Routine is fantastic

You will be incredibly surprised just how much you can study, and how well you do at adapting and surviving. Medical school doesn't have to feel like prison. You can make it fun and have a life. Don't worry.

When do you have anatomy lab????

Timing wasn't much different in anatomy. 3-4 hours of lecture daily, 1 hour prelab daily, then 1-4 hours of lab depending on the dissection and if I was actually dissecting that day.

So on non-dissecting days I would study until my group was done and ready to show the dissection. On dissecting days you're pretty much learning the anatomy while you do the work, so there's less outside study time necessary.

I studied a lot more in anatomy though. It was our first class, I didn't have anything figured out, and I was worried that I would fail (or not do well) if I didn't study constantly.

You have a lot of free time when you don't go to lecture

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

So do you guys have any tips on finding time to cook and exercise?

So do you guys have any tips on finding time to cook and exercise?

Honestly if you can't find time to cook and workout you really need to study differently or something

Get a wife to cook for you. There is still time before classes start.

Lol ...why does it seem like a lot of people on SDN automatically assumes that someone is a guy unless they have a "girly" avatar.

So your avatar isn't a Y chromosome?

lol..I'm not sure if that is suppose to be sarcasm or not =/

Anyways I guess those that will be living with their SO are pretty lucky since they can help with the cooking and cleaning