how much has obamacare cost america ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I know you linked to two charts. I only included the one that I responded to. Just as you only included a link to one chart in your first response to me and claimed that you didn't link to said chart. Linking to an article with a chart = linking to a chart in my book. Anyway, this has conversation has degenerated into a silly back and forth.

Redefining things is convenient, no doubt.

OP, here is an article you might find informative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly - there's seem to be some kind of separation between "but we expanded Medicaid, gave kids the ability to stay on their parents' plans, and provided people with insurance" and the reality that all of these things cost money. Your insurance provider doesn't continue covering kids out of the goodness of their hearts - that cost is being made up somewhere...

That cost absolutely is being made up somewhere. My insurance premium as a 30-year old male with no pre-existing conditions, and only one doctor visit in the last 5 years (to get shots to go Mexico, not because I was ill), went up 343.75%. I signed up through the exchange for a comparable insurance plan to what I had with Blue Cross before ACA--I was dropped from my old plan of course--and I was devastated by the increase in premium for what amounted to subpar coverage. I kept my insurance for 2 months before realizing I couldn't actually afford it. As of May 1st, I am no longer insured.

Sure, I am taking a huge risk by not carrying health insurance, and may very likely get decimated by a catastrophic accident, acquire an autoimmune disorder, or something else that will bankrupt me--but dammit, I also have to keep food on the table, gas in the car, and my lights on. Awesome for all those millions who got insurance who didn't have it before, but all ACA really did was create a new class of uninsured.

Indeed. My insurance premium as a 30-year old male with no pre-existing conditions, and only one doctor visit in the last 5 years (to get shots to go Mexico, not because I was ill), went up 343.75%. I signed up through the exchange for a comparable insurance plan to what I had with Blue Cross before ACA--I was dropped from my old plan of course--and I was devastated by the increase in premium for what amounted to a subpar insurance plan. I kept my insurance for 2 months before realizing I couldn't actually afford it. As of May 1st, I am no longer insured.

Sure, I am taking a huge risk by not carrying health insurance, and may very likely get decimated by a catastrophic accident, acquire an autoimmune disorder, or something else that will bankrupt me--but dammit, I also have to keep food on the table, gas in the car, and my lights on. Awesome for all those millions who got insurance who didn't have it before, but all ACA really did was create a new class of uninsured.

Wow. I'm really sorry to hear about this, it's wrong.

For the longest time, I thought you were talking about the pie chart, but now I look at it more closely, the pie chart doesn't even apply because it isn't about spending over time, and right below it is the bar chart and it's the same chart on both pages. Does it really matter which page I linked to?

Yes, it makes a difference, explained below.

The one you linked to, for example. Two problems: First, the vast majority of funding increases are in the 'mandatory' category, but VA medical funding comes from the 'discretionary' category. The mandatory category is all benefits payments, such as allowances for the families of deceased and disabled veterans, which understandably went up a lot after two wars. But they don't bother to explain that, do they?

You linked to this chart from the article I posted.
Veterans-Administration-funding-chart.png

And said, " Two problems: First, the vast majority of funding increases are in the 'mandatory' category, but VA medical funding comes from the 'discretionary' category. The mandatory category is all benefits payments, such as allowances for the families of deceased and disabled veterans, which understandably went up a lot after two wars. But they don't bother to explain that, do they?"

However, I linked to this chart.
http://www.va.gov/budget/docs/summary/Fy2015-FastFactsVAsBudgetHighlights.pdf

This chart contains a breakdown of discretionary spending in the lower right corner.

That cost absolutely is being made up somewhere. My insurance premium as a 30-year old male with no pre-existing conditions, and only one doctor visit in the last 5 years (to get shots to go Mexico, not because I was ill), went up 343.75%. I signed up through the exchange for a comparable insurance plan to what I had with Blue Cross before ACA--I was dropped from my old plan of course--and I was devastated by the increase in premium for what amounted to subpar coverage. I kept my insurance for 2 months before realizing I couldn't actually afford it. As of May 1st, I am no longer insured.

Curious, are you in a state that did not expand medicaid?

That's correct.
So then I'm assuming you fall in the coverage gap. Damn, I'm sorry to hear your story. Regardless of our political leanings, it's frustrating to see a group of people get so thoroughly ****ed by their elected representatives.

Reactions: 4 users
So then I'm assuming you fall in the coverage gap. Damn, I'm sorry to hear your story. Regardless of our political leanings, it's frustrating to see a group of people get so thoroughly ****** by their elected representatives.

Agreed. I'm no democrat and I'm definitely no republican, and this issue best illustrates why. I feel like the continuous tug of war really hurts the vast majority of people. It's too bad the parties would rather keep us all fighting with each other than develop a cohesive and effective policy for something that impact so many people so profoundly.

Reactions: 1 user