How much math and statistics do we need to know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smartman716

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read about the tendency of biomechanical analyses and gait tests results to be subjective. How much math and statistics do we need to know to test gait? How often are mathematical models employed when assessing gait? I ask because I was reading about this professor
who employs mathematical models in podiatry.

www.zoominfo.com/people/Demp_Philip_990211478.aspx

Philip Demp, DPM, MA, MS, PhD, CAS, may be the only podiatrist in the world who has earned an MA in mathematics, an MS in applied mathematics, a CAS (Certificate in Advanced Study) in statistics and computer science, and a PhD in applied mathematical science.The Cinnaminson, New Jersey, resident has merged his knowledge of mathematics and podiatry to develop a groundbreaking hypothesis about the structure of the foot that, if proven, may have significant implications for podiatric surgeons performing osteotomies of the metatarsals.

How It Works

Using mathematical modeling, Demp evaluates the foot as follows.First, he determines the coordinates of the five metatarsal heads.Using this information, he then creates a conic curve that passes through the metatarsal heads.
Demp said that he is the first person to use the conic curve as a mathematical model of the MLP.

In 2005, Demp conducted a pilot study to test his hypothesis.He reviewed detailed photos of six primates' feet and found that their conic curves, as described above, were associated with an ellipse curve, facilitating efficient quadripedal locomotion.Additionally, he analyzed data from 12 healthy human subjects, and their conic curves were associated with a single branch hyperbola curve, facilitating efficient bipedal locomotion.

The findings of his pilot study are explained in the article, "Morphometric Evolution of the Metatarsal Length Pattern: Biomechanical Implications," which is forthcoming in the International Journal of Podiatric Biomechanics.His pilot study attracted the attention of prominent researchers at the Hospital for Special Surgery's Motion Analysis Laboratory in Manhattan.Demp and the researchers submitted a proposal to the NIH's Bioengineering Institute to obtain funding for a large research study, which will include the validation of Demp's hypothesis.

"The importance of Dr. Demp's work is that it provides an original geometrically-based approach to studying one's foot structure," said Howard Hillstrom, PhD, the Director of HSS's Motion Analysis Laboratory.
"I have known Dr. Demp for over 10 years and have nothing but admiration for him.He is certainly an expert in his subject matter."

Via this large study, Demp would establish the "optimal mathematical configuration of metatarsal heads for healthy feet."Surgeons could use his template to determine exactly how much to shorten or lengthen the metatarsals."I claimâ€"if I develop the optimal Metatarsal Length Patternâ€"this will successfully treat pathological conditions caused by bad (ellipse) Metatarsal Length Patterns," Demp explained.This template is desperately needed, according to Demp, because the current methods of performing osteotomies of the metatarsals are "not precise" and "not mathematically based."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow....His creditials are impressive......"Most impressive"......Not that I can respond to your question, I do have one of my own...

While reading his bio.

Demp earned his DPM in 1941. <------Is this actually true or is it a typo?..

Wow....His creditials are impressive......"Most impressive"......Not that I can respond to your question, I do have one of my own...

While reading his bio.

Demp earned his DPM in 1941. <------Is this actually true or is it a typo?..

You know I saw that too. It could have been a typo. I'm not sure. Since he is currently adjunct faculty, his graduation year isn't listed on the school's web page. They only list the graduation years of full-time faculty.