How much money do you make and transparent salary/job offer thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

As long as we are just sharing random anecdotes, I once had a gig where I was paid in chicken fried rice.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
As long as we are just sharing random anecdotes, I once had a gig where I was paid in chicken fried rice.

Back when I lived in the sticks, as a kid for a 10 hour day of bailing and stacking hay, we'd get $20, a Ruby Red Squirt, and various gas station snacks.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is that place hiring?

It's under new ownership now. I'll have to check if it survived when I am back in that neck of the woods (if the wife lets me). Oh the memories...like going home again (especially since I sold them most of the contents of my old apartment).

Internship: $27,878
GS-11 VA Staff Psychologist: $68,997 (fantastic benefits, including free CEUs and up to $200,000 loans repaid via EDRP)
GS-12 VA Staff Psychologist/Assistant Professor at AMC: $91,400 (fantastic benefits, including free CEUs and up to $200,000 loans repaid via EDRP)

I should also add that the VA tends to make small pay bumps in January to account for market fluctuations.

I also do some part-time forensic stuff on the side, and I get $80 for a 15 minute eval.

Reactions: 1 user
If I filled out one of those salary surveys right now, I have no idea what I would put. So far this year I’ve only made about 30k. No wonder I depleted my savings and added a little credit card debt. But if you extrapolated this month times 12, then I’m doing alright. In line with @PsyDr’s point, I’ll report that I make 180k a year then. Not going to tell the IRS that figure though.

Reactions: 1 users
If I filled out one of those salary surveys right now, I have no idea what I would put. So far this year I’ve only made about 30k. No wonder I depleted my savings and added a little credit card debt. But if you extrapolated this month times 12, then I’m doing alright. In line with @PsyDr’s point, I’ll report that I make 180k a year then. Not going to tell the IRS that figure though.
You can tell the IRS, but just with creative math in terms of salary vs. distributions, deductions, and all sorts of other fun things. Most of which I hope my CPA knows a lot more about than me.

Glad to hear things are way on the uptick. PP is a different world. $180k+ is certainly doable.

Reactions: 2 users
Back when I lived in the sticks, as a kid for a 10 hour day of bailing and stacking hay, we'd get $20, a Ruby Red Squirt, and various gas station snacks.
Similar here, but tobacco, endless supply of Nabs, and a purple gatorade :) I wonder if I can work "supply of Nabs" into our monthly office expenses....

Back on the topic of original post, FYI in my state you can look up the salaries of any state employee. Doesn't capture additional things like grants or whatever, but interesting. I assume this is the same in other states but - anyone care to confirm?

Definitely. And, to add on to this, some programs will have "fellowship" or some other name of set aside funds specifically for minority/disadvantaged background applicants. My first program, as well as the one that I transferred over to, had slots specifically available for this wherein a student from one of these backgrounds essentially got their full stipend without having to TA or be a research assistant on a grant. We can argue about the merits of not requiring experiences that are hugely beneficial and good for CV, but the point remains is that these opportunities exist in many programs.
Same. was true at my program - though I think the funds / support for such applicants only started the year I was on internship and they were still working out hiccups for the student that year due to international status. Definitely want to echo this to potential students who might be reading this - you never know if you don't try. The programs I went to for master's and phd as well as the one in which I now work will bend over backwards to get nontraditional students who might not have all the top scores but demonstrate aptitude and likelihood to be able to successfully complete the program - and rightfully so. The need for more diversity in psych in general and certainly in my own program and clinic cannot be understated. All 7 clinicians in my clinic - psychologists and various master's level clinicians- are currently white women in a fairly narrow age range (28-40 I think). I don't know what the demographic stats are for clinicians in my area of specialty but based on our past efforts to recruit and applicants you'd think it is like 95%. Have had good success in recruiting skilled and diverse trainees the past several years so hoping that will pay off in the future if they want to stay/return to area after internship...

92K - Child Psychologist in a hospital

Clinical and Prescribing Psychologist - Private Practice, no benefits
35 hours/week clinical work (psychological testing, a little psychotherapy, medication management)

Internship: 18, 000$
Fellowship: 60,000$
Last job (V.A. Medical Center) 87,000$
Current Job: 475,000$
@duane1 If you don’t mind me asking, how’d you get into prescribing and what specific type of work are you doing to earn nearly $500k? I’m a 5th year clinical PhD student currently applying for internships and am considering various career options.

Last edited:
@duane1 If you don’t mind me asking, how’d you get into prescribing and what specific type of work are you doing to earn nearly $500k? I’m a 5th year clinical PhD student currently applying for internships and am considering various career options.

First question is, do you want to live in one of the two states that it's easier to get RxP (LA and NM)? After that, if you want to live in one of the other RxP states (IL, IA, ID), do you want to go back to school to essentially earn a PA or NP degree on top of your PhD?

First question is, do you want to live in one of the two states that it's easier to get RxP (LA and NM)? After that, if you want to live in one of the other RxP states (IL, IA, ID), do you want to go back to school to essentially earn a PA or NP degree on top of your PhD?
Thanks for the reply @WisNeuro. I’m unfamiliar with some of those acronyms. I’m guessing RxP means prescribing psychologist, PA is physician assistant, and NP is nurse practitioner? I’m unsure whether it would be worth going back to school; I’d need to finish what I’m doing now to feel better about that decision haha. What makes RxP easier in LA and NM? NM sounds like an interesting place to live, and I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to living in any of the other states mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply @WisNeuro. I’m unfamiliar with some of those acronyms. I’m guessing RxP means prescribing psychologist, PA is physician assistant, and NP is nurse practitioner? I’m unsure whether it would be worth going back to school; I’d need to finish what I’m doing now to feel better about that decision haha. What makes RxP easier in LA and NM? NM sounds like an interesting place to live, and I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to living in any of the other states mentioned.

You are correct on the acronyms. The NM/LA statutes were the first put into place, and probably the least onerous. In the other states, it is really only RxP in name only, as you are essentially doing almost all of the education and training to be an NP/PA. I've known people who have been RxP in NM/LA, but U have yet to meet anyone from the other states doing it. Some of that is probably a function of time, as some of these states passed it fairly recently. Illinois was the 3rd in 2014, and according to their state association, they have 13 RxP psychs

So, I guess it depends on your motivation for wanting to prescribe. If it's money, there are better ways to make more money than you can do in adding prescribing to the mix.

You are correct on the acronyms. The NM/LA statutes were the first put into place, and probably the least onerous. In the other states, it is really only RxP in name only, as you are essentially doing almost all of the education and training to be an NP/PA. I've known people who have been RxP in NM/LA, but U have yet to meet anyone from the other states doing it. Some of that is probably a function of time, as some of these states passed it fairly recently. Illinois was the 3rd in 2014, and according to their state association, they have 13 RxP psychs

So, I guess it depends on your motivation for wanting to prescribe. If it's money, there are better ways to make more money than you can do in adding prescribing to the mix.

Indeed - I was supposed to begin the post-doc M.S.CP. program on 09/04/2022, but I decided to defer just last week. I would be better off investing my time and money on expanding my forensic competencies that would allow me to expand my scope of practice in an ethical manner. Frankly, I am a bit tired of school. I think if I concentrate my efforts developing the forensic side of my practice, do some side private practice stuff, that will increase my pay in addition to my day job.

That is not accurate. The idea only applies to IL. IA is basically the same NM requirements. ID has a reciprocity thing, so it is basically the same as NM.

That is not accurate. The idea only applies to IL. IA is basically the same NM requirements. ID has a reciprocity thing, so it is basically the same as NM.

I thought it was slightly more stringent. Is it just the additional master's degree and two years of supervised practice by a physician?

I thought it was slightly more stringent. Is it just the additional master's degree and two years of supervised practice by a physician?
I think you have some misgivings about the various state laws.

• LA is completion of the MSCP, after which you get a license to prescribe. BUT, it's not real prescribing. You have to ask the attending physician, "can I prescribe X at Y dose?". Only after they say "yes", can you prescribe. After two years of that, you can apply to prescribe without asking.
  • NM is the completion of an MSCP with a 400hr practicum and a 80hr physical exam practicum. After that, you get a license to practice under a physician for 2 years. After those 2 years, you can prescribe so long as the patient has a PCP and you let them know what you're doing.
  • IA is basically NM rules. The IA state association has some agreement with NM's program to fly professors in to teach. Which sounds like the most disappointing business trip of all time.
  • ID is also basically NM rules, and they have some reciprocity agreement built into the laws. Which is why 1-2 of the ID rxpers were previously working as prescribers in another state.
  • IL is basically an NP degree.

That's why the safety issue is noncredible. To harm someone, you'd have to screw up in such a way that the PCPs didn't notice, the pharmacist didn't notice, etc.

I think you have some misgivings about the various state laws.

• LA is completion of the MSCP, after which you get a license to prescribe. BUT, it's not real prescribing. You have to ask the attending physician, "can I prescribe X at Y dose?". Only after they say "yes", can you prescribe. After two years of that, you can apply to prescribe without asking.
  • NM is the completion of an MSCP with a 400hr practicum and a 80hr physical exam practicum. After that, you get a license to practice under a physician for 2 years. After those 2 years, you can prescribe so long as the patient has a PCP and you let them know what you're doing.
  • IA is basically NM rules. The IA state association has some agreement with NM's program to fly professors in to teach. Which sounds like the most disappointing business trip of all time.
  • ID is also basically NM rules, and they have some reciprocity agreement built into the laws. Which is why 1-2 of the ID rxpers were previously working as prescribers in another state.
  • IL is basically an NP degree.

That's why the safety issue is noncredible. To harm someone, you'd have to screw up in such a way that the PCPs didn't notice, the pharmacist didn't notice, etc.

Fair enough, found Iowa's requirements here

I looked into Idaho’s and decided that it would not be of much benefit because even after several years of supervised practice all my patients would still need to be signed off by a medical provider. Comparing it to what the Psych NPs are required to do for their training it is much more demanding and does not lead to independent practice. The main reason I even looked into it was frustration with psych NPs and challenge/expense of finding a psychiatrist to work with us. Goal now is to make money using different strategy than just writing scripts and then be able to hire/contract with a real psychiatrist when I have enough revenue to justify it. Most of my patients either need or benefit from use of medications as part of their treatment and I don’t believe farming that out is as effective a means for care with my target population.

That's interesting that this is becoming an option. Can you go to any program that offers the master's degree or is it specific to clinicians seeking to prescribe specifically? Also, what are some better ways to make more money?

That's interesting that this is becoming an option. Can you go to any program that offers the master's degree or is it specific to clinicians seeking to prescribe specifically? Also, what are some better ways to make more money?

You need a specific type of masters that includes the required coursework. And, a better way to make more money is forensic work. More money, and we generally can't kill anyone if we screw up.

I'm considering a private practice that really just focuses on evidence informed ADHD treatment. I live in a state where nurse practitioners can prescribe independently and am friendly with a lot of them. My practice would have an assessment component (although that's not really evidence based with ADHD) and then I'd refer for meds when indicated. It'd be a good way lower liability because I could screen the in house referrals for my model. It'd also be a good way slowly add patients for a nurse prac on either a fee split or something else and allow a one stop shop for kids and families. So one way you could get prescribing skills without the headache, investment in more school, and personal liability is by outsourcing it.

It will require a post-doctoral master's degree in clinical psychopharmacology, along with clinical experiences supervised by a physician, and passage of the PEP exam (Psychopharmacology Examination for Psychologists). Several states differ in terms of granting prescribing psychologists full autonomy in prescribing, while others restrict it, and, restrict the classes of drugs that can be prescribed compared to other states. I currently serve on the Ohio Academy of Prescribing Psychology committee where we've been engaging in grassroots campaigns to get RxP passed here.

I echo what Wise mentioned - I actually was supposed to begin my post-doc M.S. in Clinical Psychopharmacology program on 09/04, but I have deferred for now and instead am opting to focus on developing the forensic side of my practice. I will still advocate for RxP, but for now, I really enjoy assessment, and forensics can be very lucrative for me, so I will prefer this for now. Besides, after being in school from 2007 to 2021 (two undergrads, two masters, and a doctorate plus residency), I am tired of school for now. Frankly, I am also tired of paying for more degrees, I want to earn good money, take vacations, and do things that are fun and meaningful outside of my work.

Last edited:
… I currently serve on the Ohio Academy of Prescribing Psychology committee where we've been engaging in grassroots campaigns to get RxP passed here.

I was in Ohio for graduate school from 1998 - 2003. OPA had a RxP task force that I was involved with at that time. I’ve kept an eye on things there periodically and barely anything has happened since then. I wouldn’t hold your breath if you want to prescribe and think this will happen anytime soon. Other states with RxP committees have had similar problems; my state’s RxP committee has been essentially in limbo for over a decade now. That’s why I decided to pursue NP training rather than wait on RxP to pass and it’s been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

I was in Ohio for graduate school from 1998 - 2003. OPA had a RxP task force that I was involved with at that time. I’ve kept an eye on things there periodically and barely anything has happened since then. I wouldn’t hold your breath if you want to prescribe and think this will happen anytime soon. Other states with RxP committees have had similar problems; my state’s RxP committee has been essentially in limbo for over a decade now. That’s why I decided to pursue NP training rather than wait on RxP to pass and it’s been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Indeed - our committee at the moment has just been stalled. Frankly, the ideas passed around I don't think will benefit the cause and seems like they are trying to re-invent the wheel, and are also clinging on to either out dated strategies, or, strategies that likely will not prove fruitful. Any feedback or ideas provided by more "fresh" committee members are typically not well accepted and invalidated. Thus, I stopped wasting my time with the committee. I could use my 7PM on Tuesdays doing something better.

Last edited:
Indeed - our committee at the moment has just been stalled. Frankly, the ideas passed around I don't think will benefit the cause and seems like they are trying to re-invent the wheel, and are also clinging on to either out dated strategies, or, strategies that likely will not prove fruitful. Any feedback or ideas provided by more "fresh" committee members is typically not well accepted and invalidated. Thus, I stopped wasting my time with the committee. I could use my 7PM on Tuesdays doing something better.
My sentiments exactly. I quit participating in my state’s committee when I realized it was going nowhere. Frankly, the organization and execution of the RxP initiative has been one of my biggest disappointments with professional psychology.

My sentiments exactly. I quit participating in my state’s committee when I realized it was going nowhere. Frankly, the organization and execution of the RxP initiative has been one of my biggest disappointments with professional psychology.

Cost/benefit analysis. AMA has way more in their war chest and views this as a turf war. We can fight this one and burn a huge amount of resources, which helps a fairly small number of psychologists, or we focus on bigger reimbursement issues that impact most psychologists. Strategically, it's the right call

The RxP movement is largely political and without "the perfect storm", I doubt most states will get sufficient momentum (and funding) to get something through. I'd posit that GOP controlled legislators are looking to slash access (bc of "cost control"), and DEM controlled legislators may have a shot, but it takes sig $$ (rarely present), a concerted effort (sometimes present, depending on the state level psych involvement), and then having enough momentum to get something done. I've worked with a few states over the years on RxP bills and it was definitely frustrating. I'm RxP trained, but didn't bother to get licensed bc I was too busy and money-wise it was more effort than it was worth compared to my legal practice work. The more years that went by, the more I realized it wasn't going to be something I would do because the way to make money doing it is "Stack 'em and Wack 'em" (not my term) aka...high volume, which is the opposite of how I run my current practice.

There are very few things that are only legal in 5 states. Usually the other states come around.

It's gross and in an urban area where private pay rates are higher. Select insurances also reimburse at unusually high rates in this region. I have a pretty even distribution of private pay (often using superbills for out-of-network benefits) versus in-network insurance using clients.
Very roughly, what are those unusually high rates for 90837 running there and what is typical? I think that would give the board some useful perspective.

I understand the curiosity, but there are multiple salary surveys for this sort of thing, not to mention that you can look up CPT codes and calculate from there based on your location....if you are doing mostly direct clinical service work anyway. Otherwise, location and job duties likely produce numbers that are WILDLY variable based on specific geographic location and the specific duties?

I am in a non-traditional role and make slightly north of 150k for a fully work from-home (WTF) position in a very nondescript midwestern state. The standard corporate raises certainly have NOT kept up with recent inflation numbers, unfortunately. I mean, I could do more to earn more...but I don't really want to, frankly. I probably "work" less than some people here...but I really function in a different world and do different things than one of direct patient care RVUs/WRVUs. I have not done or billed any clinical services work for over a year now.
Most of the salary surveys appear to be poorly done and don't seem to do a very good job of capturing a useful picture of the landscape. It's probably too heterogenous, that's why threads like this are actually useful in some ways, even if they have flaws of their own (anecdotal, selection bias, whathaveyou...).

The RxP movement is largely political and without "the perfect storm", I doubt most states will get sufficient momentum (and funding) to get something through. I'd posit that GOP controlled legislators are looking to slash access (bc of "cost control"), and DEM controlled legislators may have a shot, but it takes sig $$ (rarely present), a concerted effort (sometimes present, depending on the state level psych involvement), and then having enough momentum to get something done. I've worked with a few states over the years on RxP bills and it was definitely frustrating. I'm RxP trained, but didn't bother to get licensed bc I was too busy and money-wise it was more effort than it was worth compared to my legal practice work. The more years that went by, the more I realized it wasn't going to be something I would do because the way to make money doing it is "Stack 'em and Wack 'em" (not my term) aka...high volume, which is the opposite of how I run my current practice.
I don't really want to do it either, but FWIW the great state of PA appears increasingly poised to unleash RxP, perhaps as soon as the fall (of course the state legislature is a fickle beast, so don't hold your breath too long).

Most of the salary surveys appear to be poorly done and don't seem to do a very good job of capturing a useful picture of the landscape. It's probably too heterogenous, that's why threads like this are actually useful in some ways, even if they have flaws of their own (anecdotal, selection bias, whathaveyou...).

Neuropsych does a good job. We get a relatively high response rate that allows a breakdown at pretty granular levels. As for the overall APA survey, it's borderline useless.

I know there's been a lot of talk in here about RxP, but another way to substantially boost your earnings is to offer group psychotherapy, particularly intensive group therapy if you have the skillset for it. I'm set to gross about $280k this year and should be close to $350k next year, had two job offers in the past 2 years that were close to $400k but turned them down for mainly logistical reasons.

Reactions: 4 users
So an update: I was a staff psychologist for a VA in Ohio in which I recently bumped up to GS-12; my salary a GS-12 was $82,430. Since moving and transferring to "somewhere in Texas" to my new VA only after a month of being a GS-12, my new GS-12 salary is $112,010. Next year when I hit GS-13 it will be $133,194 (probably a bite higher next year). The SSR pay is basically 64% of my base that gets added back onto my base rather than base plus locality pay. This continues each year. The reason being is that my (new) VA's administration petitioned central office for SSR pay for psychologists to help be competitive with many of the neighboring medical centers in the private sector that seem to be drawing many of them away from the VA. I'm just happy to be back in my home state and paying less taxes. Ohio seemed to be competing with California for who can tax the hell out of people the most.

So an update: I was a staff psychologist for a VA in Ohio in which I recently bumped up to GS-12; my salary a GS-12 was $82,430. Since moving and transferring to "somewhere in Texas" to my new VA only after a month of being a GS-12, my new GS-12 salary is $112,010. Next year when I hit GS-13 it will be $133,194 (probably a bite higher next year). The SSR pay is basically 64% of my base that gets added back onto my base rather than base plus locality pay. This continues each year. The reason being is that my (new) VA's administration petitioned central office for SSR pay for psychologists to help be competitive with many of the neighboring medical centers in the private sector that seem to be drawing many of them away from the VA. I'm just happy to be back in my home state and paying less taxes. Ohio seemed to be competing with California for who can tax the hell out of people the most.
What if I told you the average Texan pays more in taxes than the average Californian

Source: Yes, Texans actually pay more in taxes than Californians do

What if I told you the average Texan pays more in taxes than the average Californian

Source: Yes, Texans actually pay more in taxes than Californians do

I would say this is not very representative of the reality. Also, I tend to to take things with a grain of salt when it comes from a source that has a political slant to it. It's already biased from the get-go. The article doesn't really address other aspects regarding taxation, cost of living, etc., that make Texas a much better option to live compared to California.

I would say this is not very representative of the reality. Also, I tend to to take things with a grain of salt when it comes from a source that has a political slant to it. It's already biased from the get-go. The article doesn't really address other aspects regarding taxation, cost of living, etc., that make Texas a much better option to live compared to California.
Can’t speak to California but brace yourself for the property taxes and utilities in TX. A sibling and family live in DFW and their property tax and monthly utilities are ridiculous compared to what I pay. More than erases the no state income tax benefit for them.

Wow, that must be a very new bump because it certainly wasn’t that high when I was also “somewhere in Texas”. GS-13 wasn’t even as high as your current GS-12 (I think, but only a few thousand less if so).

To add another data point—I’m also at an SSR VA and my salary (pre-yearly bump come January 2023) is close to $80k as GS-11. Next year as GS-12 (with salary bump) it will be ~$98k, and GS-13 ~$117k (assuming no yearly salary bump, but there likely will be another small one).

Edited to add: Can’t vouch for property taxes but I miss not paying state taxes. However, I can confirm that your utility bills may be astronomical compared to what you’re used to unless you forfeit some comfort.

Lived in a lot of places, including Texas, and experienced taxes and CoL in each. TX is definitely a high CoL place if you actually want to own property in all but the most rural settings. Also, I have never paid higher utilities prices than when I did in TX. Just because you're not paying state income taxes, doesn't mean that the state isn't making that money up somewhere else.

I don't want to live in CA either, but mostly for other reasons. But, Texas definitely finesses the truth when it comes to touting it's "low tax" moniker.

Now I'm starting to get curious about what high vs. low property tax rates look like. I'm not sure what Texas's are, although I'm sure it can vary depending on where you live, but I want to say I paid maybe $2200-ish last year where I am, which is the first place I've actually owned a house.

Now I'm starting to get curious about what high vs. low property tax rates look like. I'm not sure what Texas's are, although I'm sure it can vary depending on where you live, but I want to say I paid maybe $2200-ish last year where I am, which is the first place I've actually owned a house.
Prepare to be shocked. Family in DFW area are both physicians with 4 children. They built a 6900 sq ft home in 2018. 2021 property taxes were more than 46k! Albeit a large, custom home but… unbelievable. Another reason I’ll never live in TX.

I did my internship in Houston. What's insane is your property tax bill can jump 100-200% based on how much it appreciated. We're talking like 30k is not unheard of.

A major reason we left Texas: there is little public land.