How much money do you make and transparent salary/job offer thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, most of the TX metro areas, especially Houston, very expensive. Also, some of the worst infrastructure that I have ever experienced. I'll stay in my mid-sized metro suburb, where I can easily buy a giant house and enjoy well maintained parks and other infrastructure while paying far less.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, most of the TX metro areas, especially Houston, very expensive. Also, some of the worst infrastructure that I have ever experienced. I'll stay in my mid-sized metro suburb, where I can easily buy a giant house and enjoy well maintained parks and other infrastructure while paying far less.
Does anyone know if 290 is finished? It's literally like driving in the canyon of the death star.

Can’t speak to California but brace yourself for the property taxes and utilities in TX. A sibling and family live in DFW and their property tax and monthly utilities are ridiculous compared to what I pay. More than erases the no state income tax benefit for them.

I'm from Texas....

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO....based on having lived in South Florida for 5 years, Boston for a year, lived in Central Illinois for a year, lived in Columbus, Ohio for over 2 years, I am glad to be back home in Texas. Our infrastructure is much better in comparison to those places I lived before. I don't have near the amount of taxes to pay compared to Ohio. I actually get to see more of my paycheck rather than 25% of it being lost to taxes. There's way more to do here compared to Ohio. I don't mind 8.25% sales tax. I don't have a state income tax. In Ohio I was paying Ohio state tax, a tax for Columbus for work, a tax for my town I lived in, a tax for school district, plus federal tax. I would get depressed seeing my paycheck.

IMO....based on having lived in South Florida for 5 years, Boston for a year, lived in Central Illinois for a year, lived in Columbus, Ohio for over 2 years, I am glad to be back home in Texas. Our infrastructure is much better in comparison to those places I lived before. I don't have near the amount of taxes to pay compared to Ohio. I actually get to see more of my paycheck rather than 25% of it being lost to taxes. There's way more to do here compared to Ohio. I don't mind 8.25% sales tax. I don't have a state income tax. In Ohio I was paying Ohio state tax, a tax for Columbus for work, a tax for my town I lived in, a tax for school district, plus federal tax. I would get depressed seeing my paycheck.

You need a new CPA. It's easy to get taxable income reduced. Not so much property and sales taxes. So, if you own property, while your paycheck may look better in TX, you are almost definitely paying more when you factor in higher sales and property taxes.

Reactions: 2 users
You need a new CPA. It's easy to get taxable income reduced. Not so much property and sales taxes. So, if you own property, while your paycheck may look better in TX, you are almost definitely paying more when you factor in higher sales and property taxes.

Let's just say where I live, we have the lowest property tax rate in the metro area. I am still not sold that I am paying more in taxes...just not.

Let's just say where I live, we have the lowest property tax rate in the metro area. I am still not sold that I am paying more in taxes...just not.

Well, this is a quantifiable thing, we don't have to wonder. We can actually run the numbers if we feel so inclined. I've actually run it in the past for the places I've lived, and Houston was the highest in terms of CoL, by far, particularly with home ownership. I can't imagine the other metros are all that much different. Perhaps just better QoL as you don't have to deal with floods all of the time.

Well, this is a quantifiable thing, we don't have to wonder. We can actually run the numbers if we feel so inclined. I've actually run it in the past for the places I've lived, and Houston was the highest in terms of CoL, by far, particularly with home ownership. I can't imagine the other metros are all that much different. Perhaps just better QoL as you don't have to deal with floods all of the time.

I think this really side-steps many factors as some people may prefer X over Y in terms of what they may value. In particular, for me, I value the income I now have and less taxes coming out of my check. I know that Sugar Land is a bit higher in terms of CoL with respect to some things like housing, but it's less than the national average for utilities, groceries, and definitely for healthcare. At the same time, the cost of our house now is a $60K more than what we paid for our house in central Ohio, but, we also gained more things that we value (e.g., a pool, fenced in backyard, outdoor kitchen). We did downsize in sq. ft. of our house and lot compared to our previous house, but I actually prefer not having a 10,000 sq. ft. lot to mow twice a week. We are located by a major highway, and have tons of eateries, shopping, etc. We are in 30 minutes driving distance from Houston to see the opera, ballet, and symphony ( a huge plus for me and something lacking in central Ohio). We have two airports we can use to fly directly to destinations we desire we couldn't before. We can leave for cruises out of Galveston which we have missed (couldn't do that in central Ohio). I can keep listing other "pros" regarding out choice to relocate. We were frankly tired of seeing so much of paychecks going towards taxes, and living in an area that frankly had nothing going on, and life stopping when winter hit. Like I said in a previous post, my salary as a GS-12 in Houston is substantially better, and my spouse also has a significantly higher salary. My salary next year will be $133K. For me, that's a lot. I am also doing some part-time forensic work on the side, so that also helps. Lastly...Texas is home, it's where my family is (4 hours north). Career-wise, I gained a whole lot more; I am not on faculty for an AMC and at the VA in a specialty clinic. I have tons of opportunities to move around there if I wanted to compared to my previous VA. I also have other non-VA options in Texas Medical Center compared to central Ohio. Being in a big house with nothing to do in central Ohio with no friends or family is just depressing.

Last edited:
I think this really side-steps many factors as some people may prefer X over Y in terms of what they may value. In particular, for me, I value the income I now have and less taxes coming out of my check. I know that Sugar Land is a bit higher in terms of CoL with respect to some things like housing, but it's less than the national average for utilities, groceries, and definitely for healthcare. At the same time, the cost of our house now is a $60K more than what we paid for our house in central Ohio, but, we also gained more things that we value (e.g., a pool, fenced in backyard, outdoor kitchen). We did downsize in sq. ft. of our house and lot compared to our previous house, but I actually prefer not having a 10,000 sq. ft. lot to mow twice a week. We are located by a major highway, and have tons of eateries, shopping, etc. We are in 30 minutes driving distance from Houston to see the opera, ballet, and symphony ( a huge plus for me and something lacking in central Ohio). We have two airports we can use to fly directly to destinations we desire we couldn't before. We can leave for cruises out of Galveston which we have missed (couldn't do that in central Ohio). I can keep listing other "pros" regarding out choice to relocate. We were frankly tired of seeing so much of paychecks going towards taxes, and living in an area that frankly had nothing going on, and life stopping when winter hit. Like I said in a previous post, my salary as a GS-12 in Houston is substantially better, and my spouse also has a significantly higher salary. My salary next year will be $133K. For me, that's a lot. I am also doing some part-time forensic work on the side, so that also helps.

Of course, that matters greatly. But, the question that was up for debate was about overall tax burden. I also believe that personal QoL factors carry a lot more weight than tax burden, but I still contend that tax burden for property owners is similar if not more in many TX metro areas.

I think this really side-steps many factors as some people may prefer X over Y in terms of what they may value. In particular, for me, I value the income I now have and less taxes coming out of my check. I know that Sugar Land is a bit higher in terms of CoL with respect to some things like housing, but it's less than the national average for utilities, groceries, and definitely for healthcare. At the same time, the cost of our house now is a $60K more than what we paid for our house in central Ohio, but, we also gained more things that we value (e.g., a pool, fenced in backyard, outdoor kitchen). We did downsize in sq. ft. of our house and lot compared to our previous house, but I actually prefer not having a 10,000 sq. ft. lot to mow twice a week. We are located by a major highway, and have tons of eateries, shopping, etc. We are in 30 minutes driving distance from Houston to see the opera, ballet, and symphony ( a huge plus for me and something lacking in central Ohio). We have two airports we can use to fly directly to destinations we desire we couldn't before. We can leave for cruises out of Galveston which we have missed (couldn't do that in central Ohio). I can keep listing other "pros" regarding out choice to relocate. We were frankly tired of seeing so much of paychecks going towards taxes, and living in an area that frankly had nothing going on, and life stopping when winter hit. Like I said in a previous post, my salary as a GS-12 in Houston is substantially better, and my spouse also has a significantly higher salary. My salary next year will be $133K. For me, that's a lot. I am also doing some part-time forensic work on the side, so that also helps. Lastly...Texas is home, it's where my family is (4 hours north). Career-wise, I gained a whole lot more; I am not on faculty for an AMC and at the VA in a specialty clinic. I have tons of opportunities to move around there if I wanted to compared to my previous VA. I also have other non-VA options in Texas Medical Center compared to central Ohio. Being in a big house with nothing to do in central Ohio with no friends or family is just depressing.
Dude, stop hating on central Ohio! 😀

• Haha
Of course, that matters greatly. But, the question that was up for debate was about overall tax burden. I also believe that personal QoL factors carry a lot more weight than tax burden, but I still contend that tax burden for property owners is similar if not more in many TX metro areas.

At least where we are at, our tax rate is 2.3%. Not sure how that compares to other areas. Our property tax in London, Ohio was 1.5%, but that doesn't include the separate school tax which was 1% which is a total of 2.5%. This does not factor in the fact we also had to pay a separate tax each paycheck for Columbus since our work was in Columbus; that tax rate was 2.5%. So effectively, we were paying 5% in local taxes alone before other state or federal taxes were paid. We don't have to do this in Sugar Land.

Dude, stop hating on central Ohio! 😀

Apologies - not my intention. Actually, I really loved Ohio. I matched there for internship, got my first big boy job, and got our first house there. We made a lot of really good memories there. There are many things I will miss. I loved having a horse ranch behind our house. I loved our house. LOVED IT. I really will miss driving to Amish country too.

Last edited:
At least where we are at, our tax rate is 2.3%. Not sure how that compares to other areas. Our property tax in London, Ohio was 1.5%, but that doesn't include the separate school tax which was 1% which is a total of 2.5%. This does not factor in the fact we also had to pay a separate tax each paycheck for Columbus since our work was in Columbus; that tax rate was 2.5%. So effectively, we were paying 5% in local taxes alone before other state or federal taxes were paid. We don't have to do this in Sugar Land.

From my cursory look, Sugar Land prop taxes would be about 1/3 higher than Columbus OH. Ohio state sales tax of 5.75% vs 8.25 for TX. Once again, your income tax is easily changeable. Those property and sales taxes, not so much. At best, it looks like a wash.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my cursory look, Sugar Land prop taxes would be about 1/3 higher than Columbus OH. Ohio state sales tax of 5.75% vs 8.25 for TX. Once again, your income tax is easily changeable. Those property and sales taxes, not so much. At best, it looks like a wash.

Not sure where you are getting those figures. You will have to provide the source so I can see. Regarding sales tax, that is correct. Texas has always had a higher sales tax which I actually prefer than the other forms of taxation we endured in Ohio.

Not sure where you are getting those figures. You will have to provide the source so I can see. Regarding sales tax, that is correct. Texas has always had a higher sales tax which I actually prefer than the other forms of taxation we endured in Ohio.

The municipal websites for the respective cities is the source.

Still not sure how paying 5% in local taxes in Ohio is better than paying 2.3% (or 2.2% for the base % of Sugar Land).

Because you are also paying signifcantly higher sales taxes and property taxes. And, that 5% is modifiable, the property taxes and sales taxes are not. My point is not necessarily about what's "better." It's that you are essentially paying the same amount in taxes when it's all said and done, if not more. The "much lower tax burden" rallying cry is simply a myth for most property owners.

In the end, I agree with the point of living where you want. I lived just north of Sugar Land. Personally, I wouldn't live there again even if all of my taxes were 0%. But that's my preference. But, from a practical perspective, the taxes really aren't that low when you take everything into account.

In the end, I agree with the point of living where you want. I lived just north of Sugar Land. Personally, I wouldn't live there again even if all of my taxes were 0%. But that's my preference. But, from a practical perspective, the taxes really aren't that low when you take everything into account.

Perhaps. We don't have a CPA...we've never had one. We haven't ventured into the realm of tax avoidance yet, but maybe in the future. And if so, I would surmise that it would have been of benefit to do so here vs. in Ohio. Alternatively, in Texas, we can get refunded sales taxes when filing taxes as long as you have proof (e.g., bank statements, receipts, etc.). Then there is a whole other conversation regarding being a PLLC small business and the incentives we have for that.

But hey...I guess all of them Californians moving here because they can't afford a 2 bed 2 bath condo for $1.5 million in San Francisco are nuts.

Perhaps. We don't have a CPA...we've never had one. We haven't ventured into the realm of tax avoidance yet, but maybe in the future. And if so, I would surmise that it would have been of benefit to do so here vs. in Ohio. Alternatively, in Texas, we can get refunded sales taxes when filing taxes as long as you have proof (e.g., bank statements, receipts, etc.). Then there is a whole other conversation regarding being a PLLC small business and the incentives we have for that.

But hey...I guess all of them Californians moving here because they can't afford a 2 bed 2 bath condo for $1.5 million in San Francisco are nuts.

I believe the requirements for sales tax refunds are fairly stringent and only for certain circumstances. About the CA "exodus"..

I should also clarify - the pay rate I am receiving here is substantially more than what I was getting in Ohio. And I get to keep more of it every two weeks.

I believe the requirements for sales tax refunds are fairly stringent and only for certain circumstances. About the CA "exodus"..

The articles you mentioned seem to support the notion that the ones who are staying and endorsed enjoying living in California, are the wealthy. That make sense. If you can afford the astronomical taxation and prices there, then of course you will want to stay there. Alternatively, they polled folks with lower incomes ($50-100K) and found they were the most concerned about the state of affairs in California. Majority of people are not millionaires. Those are the people who really feel the burn.

You also have several major companies relocating their headquarters, several of them to Texas.

A higher salary could be had in either location, that is largely irrelevant in terms of taxes as it's more relevant to federal taxes, and also modifiable. As for the rich, many hold residences in multiple states, but simply list the more desirable place as their permanent residence for tax reasons. It's easy to do and the IRS doesn't enforce it all that much. Many of my patients up here skirt those tax laws even though they live here a clear majority of the year. Either way, net migration has been steady and is more of a function density and steady pattern than anything else that is just minor variance. If you like the area and the Cancer Belt ambiance, more power to you. But, your taxes simply aren't that different when you actually look at the numbers. Everything else is just political spin for the average person.

As for companies moving to TX, corporate taxation is a different discussion altogether. TX isn't all that shiny if you're just looking for a pure tax shelter.

A higher salary could be had in either location, that is largely irrelevant in terms of taxes as it's more relevant to federal taxes, and also modifiable. As for the rich, many hold residences in multiple states, but simply list the more desirable place as their permanent residence for tax reasons. It's easy to do and the IRS doesn't enforce it all that much. Many of my patients up here skirt those tax laws even though they live here a clear majority of the year. Either way, net migration has been steady and is more of a function density and steady pattern than anything else that is just minor variance. If you like the area and the Cancer Belt ambiance, more power to you. But, your taxes simply aren't that different when you actually look at the numbers. Everything else is just political spin for the average person.

As for companies moving to TX, corporate taxation is a different discussion altogether. TX isn't all that shiny if you're just looking for a pure tax shelter.

I can only speak for myself and my family. We don't get all extravagant with taxation as it seems that you might have. Kudos to you. But for us, the purchasing power of our money and having more of it is a huge win for us. I would have to disagree with the statement that I could have received the same pay in Columbus - I can tell you for a fact that is not true for ME. Again, I am speaking for myself, not some hypothetical person. For me, that would have been out of the realm of possibilities, especially with being such an early career psychologist. Financially, I would have stagnated very quickly there. $82K vs. $112K is a nice bump. Also, $133K come next August is a huge increase from the $98K or so I would have received as a GS-13 in Columbus.

I can only speak for myself and my family. We don't get all extravagant with taxation as it seems that you might have. Kudos to you. But for us, the purchasing power of our money and having more of it is a huge win for us. I would have to disagree with the statement that I could have received the same pay in Columbus - I can tell you for a fact that is not true for ME. Again, I am speaking for myself, not some hypothetical person. For me, that would have been out of the realm of possibilities, especially with being such an early career psychologist. Financially, I would have stagnated very quickly there. $82K vs. $112K is a nice bump. Also, $133K come next August is a huge increase from the $98K or so I would have received as a GS-13 in Columbus.
Sure, but you technically have more of this in other areas in which you have lived. Especially as purchasing power is directly tied to sales tax rates. It's just the math. And, as for income, you can easily have 200k+ in Columbus. Well over that if you are doing forensic work. If you are married to the VA, you limit your income ceiling no matter where you are.

Sure, but you technically have more of this in other areas in which you have lived. Especially as purchasing power is directly tied to sales tax rates. It's just the math. And, as for income, you can easily have 200k+ in Columbus. Well over that if you are doing forensic work. If you are married to the VA, you limit your income ceiling no matter where you are.

Fair point. I am seeing how long this whole VA-ride will last. I know I could likely make more in the private practice environment, but that would likely come at a significant price. I will be honest and the first to admit, I am unsure if my work ethic would "cut it." I'd like to think of myself as fairly productive and produce good quality work, but I am unsure if I could put in over 40 hour weeks, and somehow double or triple my productivity to earn more money. For me, I think that's why this new career move was very meaningful to both of us. We both saw substantial increases in our salaries, and unlike me, my spouse can't just open up or work in a private practice. I have that luxury, they don't. I suppose you are very business-inclined, and I admittedly am not "there." I am working with what I have, so, perhaps in the future I will figure out how I could have made $200+K outside the VA. The money stuff worked out for us in terms of our move here vs. in Ohio. I do understand your points, but for us, it just wasn't working out the way you are outlining.

Fair point. I am seeing how long this whole VA-ride will last. I know I could likely make more in the private practice environment, but that would likely come at a significant price. I will be honest and the first to admit, I am unsure if my work ethic would "cut it." I'd like to think of myself as fairly productive and produce good quality work, but I am unsure if I could put in over 40 hour weeks, and somehow double or triple my productivity to earn more money. For me, I think that's why this new career move was very meaningful to both of us. We both saw substantial increases in our salaries, and unlike me, my spouse can't just open up or work in a private practice. I have that luxury, they don't. I suppose you are very business-inclined, and I admittedly am not "there." I am working with what I have, so, perhaps in the future I will figure out how I could have made $200+K outside the VA. The money stuff worked out for us in terms of our move here vs. in Ohio. I do understand your points, but for us, it just wasn't working out the way you are outlining.

Depends on your mix. I worked the equivalent of about .75FTE for family reasons this year and have more than doubled my salary at the hospital job I used to work in. And, that hospital job had a higher than VA salary. It's not for everyone, I'll admit that. I wasn't debating that point, people need to do what they feel comfortable and fulfilled with. I was more pushing back on the tax myths, as the math usually doesn't pan out once you factor in ALL taxes.

Depends on your mix. I worked the equivalent of about .75FTE for family reasons this year and have more than doubled my salary at the hospital job I used to work in. And, that hospital job had a higher than VA salary. It's not for everyone, I'll admit that. I wasn't debating that point, people need to do what they feel comfortable and fulfilled with. I was more pushing back on the tax myths, as the math usually doesn't pan out once you factor in ALL taxes.

BTW...Columbus sales tax is 7.5%, not 5.75%. The 5.75% is for the state, but then each township or city as a specialty rate that is added onto it to be combined for the total sales tax.

BTW...Columbus sales tax is 7.5%, not 5.75%. The 5.75% is for the state, but then each township or city as a specialty rate that is added onto it to be combined for the total sales tax.

Fair, I only quoted the state sales tax, but still, the combined is still lower than the TX state sales tax.

I live and practice in Cbus. Comparable upper middle class suburb to the really nice part where my family lives in Houston. Property taxes are not even comparable. Almost to the point of offensive. Agree with Wis, get a good CPA. I actually chose to move back to Cbus after fellowship even though I had offers in Cali and Chicago in large part because of how bad the taxes were in those respective spots (also because of my love for, well…just look at my name).

I live and practice in Cbus. Comparable upper middle class suburb to the really nice part where my family lives in Houston. Property taxes are not even comparable. Almost to the point of offensive. Agree with Wis, get a good CPA. I actually chose to move back to Cbus after fellowship even though I had offers in Cali and Chicago in large part because of how bad the taxes were in those respective spots (also because of my love for, well…just look at my name).

Pssh, my property tax rate is lower than both of y'all. I've only ever visited Cbus, but lived in Houston. And yeah, CPA is key if you are high earners. Also, once you have LLC-S-corp earnings and you can shield even more from payroll taxes. Meeting with mine Monday to discuss whether or not we need to bonus a little out to make that "reasonable salary" more reasonable.

Pssh, my property tax rate is lower than both of y'all. I've only ever visited Cbus, but lived in Houston. And yeah, CPA is key if you are high earners. Also, once you have LLC-S-corp earnings and you can shield even more from payroll taxes. Meeting with mine Monday to discuss whether or not we need to bonus a little out to make that "reasonable salary" more reasonable.
I went S-corp this year as well. It can def have its benefits, but running into issues where is limits certain other deductions possibly negating it, possibility putting me underwater. One big issue is that it limits your max solo-401k contribution by tying it to your W2 wage. In my case that cut the amount I could contribute by 30k. The next issue is your W2 wage reduces the amount of income counted for the QBI 20% deduction. Finally, if you are on the bubble for the QBI phaseout income level, say slightly over, if you have an S-corp the QBI calc is limited by having to use your W2 wage and reduced further from there, no S corp and it's just reduced by the phase out. The phaseout loss might be tiny, a few grand if you are just barely above the limit, but if you have to use the W2 calc you can end up losing a huge amount of the deduction. E.g. QBI deduction of 50k in an LLC scenario reduced to 48k at bottom of phase out, vs deduction of 18k with the S corp at just post threshold. Add it all up and in my case I might save a few k with the S-corp IF I don't cross the QBI threshold. If I do, even barely, I lose like 6k (including the grand it costs to file a s-corp return.

*NOT a CPA, and COULD be wrong about this all.

TLDR, YMMV with the S-corp as a tax/money saving vehicle, much more so than it seems at first blush.

I went S-corp this year as well. It can def have its benefits, but running into issues where is limits certain other deductions possibly negating it, possibility putting me underwater. One big issue is that it limits your max solo-401k contribution by tying it to your W2 wage. In my case that cut the amount I could contribute by 30k. The next issue is your W2 wage reduces the amount of income counted for the QBI 20% deduction. Finally, if you are on the bubble for the QBI phaseout income level, say slightly over, if you have an S-corp the QBI calc is limited by having to use your W2 wage and reduced further from there, no S corp and it's just reduced by the phase out. The phaseout loss might be tiny, a few grand if you are just barely above the limit, but if you have to use the W2 calc you can end up losing a huge amount of the deduction. E.g. QBI deduction of 50k in an LLC scenario reduced to 48k at bottom of phase out, vs deduction of 18k with the S corp at just post threshold. Add it all up and in my case I might save a few k with the S-corp IF I don't cross the QBI threshold. If I do, even barely, I lose like 6k (including the grand it costs to file a s-corp return.

*NOT a CPA, and COULD be wrong about this all.

TLDR, YMMV with the S-corp as a tax/money saving vehicle, much more so than it seems at first blush.

Definitely meet with your CPA and go over the numbers. Depending on various factors (net income, filing status, household income, etc), different options make different sense. Our household income is pretty high, so we phase out of a lot of things in certain filings.

As for your retirement plan, you need to crunch the numbers to see what works (solo 401k, SEP IRA, Simple IRA, Defined Benefit Plan) as what can give you the best stashing ability will vary on your business setup and the other named factors.

In the end, though, sit down with your CPA and actually have them run the numbers for you so you can visualize everything. In my specific situation, it was not even a discussion, the S-corp status was the clear winner in terms of how much money I could shield from taxes.

Whoa that was a wild divergence from the point and unnecessarily defensive lol we all frankly were discussing tax burden which you initially and specifically brought up. There was no intention to undermine all the other aspects of living in Texas that you find gratifying. All of that is clearly subjective. Hope you didn’t take it that way.

I'd like to think of myself as fairly productive and produce good quality work, but I am unsure if I could put in over 40 hour weeks, and somehow double or triple my productivity to earn more money.
The bolded is such a misconception. Don’t let that scare you away from private practice work because it’s not entirely true. But that’s where good business sense would come in.

p.s. not trying to peer pressure you into it either, it’s really not for everybody

Reactions: 1 users
Whoa that was a wild divergence from the point and unnecessarily defensive lol we all frankly were discussing tax burden which you initially and specifically brought up. There was no intention to undermine all the other aspects of living in Texas that you find gratifying. All of that is clearly subjective. Hope you didn’t take it that way.

In this context, I think it was appropriate to defend my rationale as to why I made my choices to move.

Can we all rag on California now?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
This is definitely a hard place to live sometimes, and it's certainly not for everyone. Rent is expensive. Traffic is dense. Taxes are high. Languages are many. Weed is legal. Abortion is protected. It's forecasted to be 83 and sunny today and I'm planning to swim in our outdoor campus pool this afternoon and spend tomorrow on the beach. Beware of CA!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Not sure if it's helpful but:
Master's Internship: 40k (Pretty much just got a job that covered internship requirements)
PhD Stipend: 30k stipend, Tuition coverage, and Insurance
Future Salary: TBD (Refer back to that Dream Job Thread, 4 day work week, ambitious pay)

MY dream job is to somehow earn money...but not work. Still working on the logistics of this.

I do this already, it is called investing. Alternatively, just wait till age 60 or 70-something and ask the government for money.

MY dream job is to somehow earn money...but not work. Still working on the logistics of this.

Have you tried marrying rich, or getting run over?

NF2dupu_d.webp

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Have you tried marrying rich, or getting run over?
In undergrad it was part of my hopes and dreams to be tagged while walking in a yield zone...til' I realized that it was just other poor undergrads like me driving around.
After graduating I went back home and tried upgrading to yield zones in the richer parts of town, but now I'm pretty sure that'll just be a hit-and-run. Just can't find decent terrible drivers nowadays.

This is definitely a hard place to live sometimes, and it's certainly not for everyone. Rent is expensive. Traffic is dense. Taxes are high. Languages are many. Weed is legal. Abortion is protected. It's forecasted to be 83 and sunny today and I'm planning to swim in our outdoor campus pool this afternoon and spend tomorrow on the beach. Beware of CA!!!
The voting ballots are very long!

In undergrad it was part of my hopes and dreams to be tagged while walking in a yield zone...til' I realized that it was just other poor undergrads like me driving around.
After graduating I went back home and tried upgrading to yield zones in the richer parts of town, but now I'm pretty sure that'll just be a hit-and-run. Just can't find decent terrible drivers nowadays.

Much easier to find a rich person's house and fall in their driveway. Getting hit by a car leaves too much to chance. What if the nanny is driving?

This thread has been so helpful as a recent postgrad! Follow up question (Since I don't think this has been discussed explicitly) - does anyone work as an independent contract therapist?

I'm looking into doing some group practice work on the side of my primary hospital job, and they asked me my rate per patient. I was curious what people charge for a standard therapy session PER patient (for a large, urban area)?