How much $$ needed for applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titan3035

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be applying June 2005, how much money should i set aside for the application process. (fees, flights, interviews secondaries ect.)?

I have heard a huge range, anywhere from $800 to $10,000

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I spent about $2500. Applied to 10 schools, and went to 5 interviews. Drove to all of them which saved money by not paying for plane tickets.

Originally posted by titan3035

I have heard a huge range, anywhere from $800 to $10,000

$10,000?? - not TRUE!, we are not in CANADA :D

It could be as low as $170 to maybe $3500 (I am not sure the maximum, but its not above $5000).

Members don't see this ad :)
$$$$

DAT materials: 200
Application: 1500
flight+hotel: 2000
suit+hair cut: 300

Getting to a school that I have been dreamed of.....

priceless!

It of course depends on the number of school that you apply to and the number of secondary and number of interviews.

I am not exact on my figures but this is what I estimate:

To just take the DAT: $180 + $10 per school to send results.

For AADSAS application: I spent $1400 to apply to 25 schools.

For secondarys: expect secondary from school that have no intention of accepting you but just want the average $50-60.

Interveiws are extremely costly: I only spent 350 one and almost nothing for the LLU since I was so close. You can get tickets to any where in the nation for about 250 bucks or less.

In total, I spent about 3500 for my process.

Originally posted by Thaxil

For AADSAS application: I spent $1400 to apply to 25 schools.

25 schools?????

Do you regret applying to so many?:eek:

I'm only planning to apply to 3 schools (hope it's enough...), and I've calculated the cost should be about $1000. The only way I can think of to get the total lower would be to apply to only one school and live in the same city as the school already!

Originally posted by trypmo
I'm only planning to apply to 3 schools (hope it's enough...), and I've calculated the cost should be about $1000. The only way I can think of to get the total lower would be to apply to only one school and live in the same city as the school already!
Take heart! I only applied to one, and it was enough. ;)

how much $$ you need?

let see. well, i think that would depend on how many schools you wanna apply to. if your stats are awesome and you feel confident about getting accepted then you'd most likely wanna apply to few schools (1-5 etc). on the other hand, if your stats aren't that good then you are talking about a good amount of $$.

my own exp:

applied to 36 school.

AADSAS $1700
secondaries ~$1600
DAT $460
transcripts sent $50

4 interviews

airfare $1500
hotel $300
misc $200

so around $6000. thats not counting me paying for KAPLAN stuff, the $1500 i am paying to move to IN, etc ect.

seriously, you have to think about all of those things before yo u apply.

good luck to everyone for 2005.

Originally posted by trypmo

I have no idea what your GPA and DAT scores are, but to me, it seems like 3 schools is a low number of schools to apply. I don't even know which schools you're applying to, if it's spread out in terms of acceptance rates. Hopefully they're spread out, so at least one of the schools is a slam dunk. I applied to 4 schools, but in hindsight, I think it was too few. It's getting more and more competitive out there, and I didn't realize that at the time. Thankfully, it worked out for me at the end.

Hmmm, but what am I really trying to say here?...ultimately, I think it's worth an extra few thousand dollars (application + travel expenses) to ensure that you go to dental school in '05 and NOT make the mistake of being too selective.

Members don't see this ad :)
its good to have good stats and only apply to afew school. however, it is also possible that it come back and haunt you.

a friend of mine with a gpa of around 3.6ish applied to on CA schools with me. still hasn't been accepted and wishes the he/she had applied to more than 5.

don't be as brave as Aphistis and only apply to one. give your selves some chance people.:D

Originally posted by PERFECT3435

don't be as brave as Aphistis and only apply to one. give your selves some chance people.:D

Agreed. But dont apply to 25, or in perfect's case, 36 schools. Thats just plain ******ed. No matter what your stats are, no way in hell someone should apply to that many schools.

If your stats are low, apply to your in-state schools, and private schools.

thanks Dream.

how do you know where to and not to apply?

i mean sure you should apply to your state schools but how do you choose the rest?
i know that if i had asked people on sdn, most would have said not to apply to UConn. i did and did get an interview there so go figure.

i know its totally dum to apply to all but honestly i just didn't know where to apply to i applied to as many as i could.

How do you know where and where not to apply? One word: RESEARCH. Taking a week or so of carefully researching your schools could have easily saved you 100s of dollars.

Call up the schools, visit their websites, and by all means ask people who have applied before (SDN).

As for UConn, getting an interview is one thing, getting accepted is a whole other story. Did you get accepted there?

no i got waitlisted, but that wasn't the point.

my point was that most people on SDN would have said that i had no chance for UCONN and yet i got waitlisted.

as far as not getting accepted there, i really feel that i didn't do well on my interview. that means that i messed up. had i not, i may have been accepted.
another thing, most would have suggested that i apply to NYU and BU. guess what? i applied and they never even bothered to tell me they got my AADSAS.

Bottom line, no one knows for sure. all i am saying is that if you can afford it, then give yourself all the chances that you can.

When i was figuring out what schools to apply to I printed out a list of all the dental schools, and went to each website.

There i found if they consider out of state (or in my case, foreign) students. If not, I crossed out that school from my list.

Next i looked at avg gpa/dat for each school. Some schools publish these on their webpages, others do not. I looked for the schools that my stats fell under.

In total I applied to about 12 schools.

As for BU and NYU, did you call them and ask the status of your application? I know it doesnt matter to you now, but you might want to find out what happened.

no i never called them. i was going to but then i remember the rude response i had gotten from Howard.

besides, like you said, it doesn't even matter to me now.
i should call them and ask to see if they received the app fee:D

my point was that most people on SDN would have said that i had no chance for UCONN and yet i got waitlisted.

a

Theres nothing wrong with adding a few "reach" schools, but to add 20 of them is overkill.

Originally posted by HBomb888
I have no idea what your GPA and DAT scores are, but to me, it seems like 3 schools is a low number of schools to apply. I don't even know which schools you're applying to, if it's spread out in terms of acceptance rates.

I have read somwhere that on average an applicant applies to 7 dental schools to get an acceptance somewhere.

thanks Dream.

how do you know where to and not to apply?

i mean sure you should apply to your state schools but how do you choose the rest?
i know that if i had asked people on sdn, most would have said not to apply to UConn. i did and did get an interview there so go figure.

i know its totally dum to apply to all but honestly i just didn't know where to apply to i applied to as many as i could.

For me, I've just borrowed the book "Guide to Medical and Dental School" by Saul Wischnitzer. It has a summary of every single dental schools (as well as Medical Schools) in U.S and Canada (Avg GPA, DAT, Resident %, Non-Res %, Tuition Cost, Program, etc..) and I used that and apply to some that are more challenging to get into and some that are more easily to get into (based on your stats) and you should be able to gain acceptance to one without applying to too many schools.

Originally posted by Dentaldream
Agreed. But dont apply to 25, or in perfect's case, 36 schools. Thats just plain ******ed. No matter what your stats are, no way in hell someone should apply to that many schools.

If your stats are low, apply to your in-state schools, and private schools.

Totally agree. With a little research, I'm sure one could drastically reduce his or her application costs. I thought 36 was a bit over the edge, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get in, I guess.

Did anyone get rejected by UConn? I'm also wait-listed after the interview. I haven't heard anybody getting rejected by that school, yet. So, is wait-listing you their polite way of rejecting you?

Originally posted by aileen
Did anyone get rejected by UConn? I'm also wait-listed after the interview. I haven't heard anybody getting rejected by that school, yet. So, is wait-listing you a polite way of rejecting you?

I got a rejection letter from them last week. I didn't really expect to make it with my late November application. It seems as though they sent it out in response to an extra rec letter I sent them two weeks ago.

EDIT: I just realized that this info is pointless considering that I didn't even interview with them. In any case I think that with their tiny class and high demand, getting off their waitlist isn't something that is done often. It's probably not what you want to hear, but it is most likely how it is.

Call me cocky but there is a strong possibility I'm only applying to one school (UIC) or two schools (UPenn/Temple). Can't leave the woman, can I (she's gonna go to med school in one of those locations)? Of course, if I don't get in it's not gonna be good...

Originally posted by marshall
Call me cocky but there is a strong possibility I'm only applying to one school (UIC) or two schools (UPenn/Temple). Can't leave the woman, can I (she's gonna go to med school in one of those locations)? Of course, if I don't get in it's not gonna be good...

cocky no. i think the word you want is BRAVE or maybe RISKY?

good luck dude. i would hate to be in your shoes if i you don't get in.

In response to DentalDream, I do not regret applying to 25 schools. I am very luck to have added that 25th school because it is the one that I ultimately will attend. I received five interview requests and of the 25 schools. One from a state school; IUSD.

I feel that when deciding which schools to apply to, one can not decide solely based on GPA and DAT. My GPA suck thus, I will apply to Howard, Meharry and Boston. There are so many factors involved that I did not limit my self to lower GPA schools and private schools. I did do a lot of research. I apply to many schools for specific reasons such as: disadvantaged student admission policy, how many Ca resident admitted, GPA, DAT, DAT sections most emphasized, private school or not, stated emphasis on resent academic performance and others. I definitely did not apply to schools that did not accept a large proportion of out of state students. I basically applied to private and state schools who accept at least 30% out of state.

UDM, the school I was questionable about added had 3.54 avg GPA and mine was 2.7 and seemly low emphasis on the DAT which I did well on, so I wonder if it would be a waste of money; I was wrong.

In response to DentalDream, I do not regret applying to 25 schools. I am very luck to have added that 25th school because it is the one that I ultimately will attend. I received five interview requests and of the 25 schools. One from a state school; IUSD.

I feel that when deciding which schools to apply to, one can not decide solely based on GPA and DAT. My GPA suck thus, I will apply to Howard, Meharry and Boston. There are so many factors involved that I did not limit my self to lower GPA schools and private schools. I did do a lot of research. I apply to many schools for specific reasons such as: disadvantaged student admission policy, how many Ca resident admitted, GPA, DAT, DAT sections most emphasized, private school or not, stated emphasis on resent academic performance and others. I definitely did not apply to schools that did not accept a large proportion of out of state students. I basically applied to private and state schools who accept at least 30% out of state.

UDM, the school I was questionable about added had 3.54 avg GPA and mine was 2.7 and seemly low emphasis on the DAT which I did well on, so I wonder if it would be a waste of money; I was wrong.

Off topic question but

Do all schools have secondaries? Are they long or it depends on school? Also, which school does not have interview for admission?

dentalist,

no not all schools have secondaries. some are short (temple: name, add, social sec #, phone number, and the $$ please.) while others are 15 pages long with 20 essay type questions (UCLA and UCSF the longest ones).

as far as interviews go, i know MARQ and Creighton don't interview applicants that are from out of state. some schools like BU will do regional interviews so you don't have to travel to boston.

totally agree with thaxil.

bottom line you really never know. thaxil and i had somewhat similar stats. we both applied to UDM. he got in and i didn't even get a secondary.

Originally posted by Mo007
$10,000?? - not TRUE!, we are not in CANADA :D

It could be as low as $170 to maybe $3500 (I am not sure the maximum, but its not above $5000).

Sure it is, they sat in first class because the air is better up there plus the stewardesses give you a complimentary lap dance.:D

Hey perfect,

UDM does not have a secondary. I think they were interested in you based on what you told me before.