How much neuro in ENT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swoop

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a first year student and recently did the head and neck anatomy. Really liked it, and have started going to an ENT clinic. I don't know much, but I know what I like. ENT seems to have a variety of pathology and a good clinic to OR mix, with some complex surgical procedures some not so complex. As well as a clear place for someone interested in cancer research/academic medicine. I like that part. However, for various reasons I don't like neuro things so much. My question is therefore, how much neuro is involved in ENT, if you decided not to specialize in the neuro intensive parts of ENT. I.E cancer vs. neuro-oto. I am young and inexperienced so feel free to tell me where I can put it if need be.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what you mean by neuro. A neuro-otologist practically is doing neurosurgery when doing acoustic neuroma surgeries. Other than that, most of ENT doesn't mess with the brain (unless something goes really wrong).

Re: the diagnostic challenges that neuro can present, such as determining the site of a "lesion" based on certain physical findings. ENT's usually don't do much of that. Evaluation of the dizzy patient can be fairly tedious, but most other patients require less "neuro", so to speak.

Thanks. You addressed my concern quite well.

So I am a first year student and recently did the head and neck anatomy. Really liked it, and have started going to an ENT clinic. I don't know much, but I know what I like. ENT seems to have a variety of pathology and a good clinic to OR mix, with some complex surgical procedures some not so complex. As well as a clear place for someone interested in cancer research/academic medicine. I like that part. However, for various reasons I don't like neuro things so much. My question is therefore, how much neuro is involved in ENT, if you decided not to specialize in the neuro intensive parts of ENT. I.E cancer vs. neuro-oto. I am young and inexperienced so feel free to tell me where I can put it if need be.

we are the same person whoa...except that i love neuroanatomy, head and neck anatomy, cancer research/academic medicine, and pathology. yup and i'm a 1st year going to ENT clinic too. wow. clone.