How much neuro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12loser12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying do Kaplan videos for most subjects but the neuro is just brutal. Seems the guy just reads off minute details while the camera shows his face instead of some diagram that might actually help. I think I'm going to just learn it out of a textbook instead. My question is, what is a good depth of knowledge to go? I thought the detail he covered it in was too much, but before deciding to weed some of it out I thought I'd make sure I'm not making a mistake. Any input? Past testers have an opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

Just tough it out and listen to him, its just about 4hr if i remember correctly. After that you can just read the notes. Another option is to get high yield neuro.

The Anatomy and Neuro vids are horrible.. They are by far the worst subjects taught by Kaplan. I did them all, and I toughed it out so I wouldnt feel too guilty about skipping anything... So I would tough it out if I were you, and put it on like 2x speed.. try and understand what the neuro guy is saying rather than memorize..

I had a great deal of neuro on my exam and I have heard the same from several people who have taken in the past few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been trying do Kaplan videos for most subjects but the neuro is just brutal. Seems the guy just reads off minute details while the camera shows his face instead of some diagram that might actually help. I think I'm going to just learn it out of a textbook instead. My question is, what is a good depth of knowledge to go? I thought the detail he covered it in was too much, but before deciding to weed some of it out I thought I'd make sure I'm not making a mistake. Any input? Past testers have an opinion?

I would beg to differ. I am not familiar with your resources. But I found that most review resources go into far too much detail, including High Yield Neuro.

Keep in mind that I took Step 1 about two years ago and Step 2CK about 8 months ago. But most neuro questions are along the line of "You are evaluating a 28-y/o lady with dysarthria. Three months ago she had clumsiness with her hand that resolved spontaneously. On examination, she is unable to adduct her R eye with L horizontal gaze. Her MRI is as shown (image shows multiple demyelinating lesions at various stages in the brain). The CSF shows high protein and oligoclonal bands. What's the diagnosis?"

I just took the exam on March 17th (don't have scores yet) and I had very little neuro. There were no questions on eye neurology (which was surprising), none on ears, 5-6 q's on neuro pharm...all I had was mainly neuro path. Some of the questions were straight recall questions. Overall I was very surprised at the limited amount of neuro but I'm not complaining because it's not my best subject!!!

I wouldn't do the neuro videos.

I highly recommend High Yield Neuro. It's short (for neuro) and AWESOME. I just took an NBME Diagnostic and did very well on Neuro, and I've really only been studying from HY Neuro and First Aid.

Sorry for the "noob" question (I'm a first year), but where can I find these Kaplan videos? I thought they didn't allow any recording of their lectures, or are these part of an online course? Thanks.