How much physics on the MCAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golden-Future

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dreading studying for physics, took it 3 yrs ago. It took me multiple days to get through chapter 1, I should start watching khan videos.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There is less physics compared to the old mcat I believe (but just a little less). And as opposed to getting classical/pure physics passages, the new mcat takes physics and creates a passage that is physics applied to biology or biochemistry for the most part. But nonetheless, physics is still present and about 40% of the Physical science section (correct me if I am wrong, I think it might be 35%) I had 4 physics passages on my MCAT. Make sure you do not neglect it just because you don't like it or are not proficient at it these are the areas where you can lose the most points on the mcat and really lower your score. Khan Acadamy videos are good especially since they provide free practice questions, physics is a a lot about concepts and being able to manipulate equations similar to chemistry. Of course though I would definitely memorize equations and using flash cards can be helpful. Build a good momentum and make sure you do not out it off. What material are you using for review?

There is less physics compared to the old mcat I believe (but just a little less). And as opposed to getting classical/pure physics passages, the new mcat takes physics and creates a passage that is physics applied to biology or biochemistry for the most part. But nonetheless, physics is still present and about 40% of the Physical science section (correct me if I am wrong, I think it might be 35%) I had 4 physics passages on my MCAT. Make sure you do not neglect it just because you don't like it or are not proficient at it these are the areas where you can lose the most points on the mcat and really lower your score. Khan Acadamy videos are good especially since they provide free practice questions, physics is a a lot about concepts and being able to manipulate equations similar to chemistry. Of course though I would definitely memorize equations and using flash cards can be helpful. Build a good momentum and make sure you do not out it off. What material are you using for review?
Thanks, yeah im gonna put in the work its just so time consuming. Im using Kaplan.

I thought Kaplan was pretty good I don't know why I find a lot of people don't like kaplan on here. Do lots of practice questions and you should be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
There’s enough physics on the chem/phys section to doom your score. What really helped me was having a notebook just dedicated to the formulas you need to know and relevant notes explaining how they’re done. I used TPR but if you like Kaplan roll with that. I also really suggest the AAMC practice questions. I did the physics ones daily and that totally saved me cone exam time. Good luck OP!

I hate physics too and because of it my chem/phys section had the lowest score. I would expect about 3-4 passages. I wouldnt focus a lot on mechanics, but do definitely study electricity, work, optics (2nd semester physics basically) as it is a little more applicable to the human body.

Don't waste time on khan videos. I used TPR. I actually did what workaholic181 says above and wrote down a bunch of equations on a few pages with some notes about them.

I really didn't study that much physics though and that's probably why my score suffered. If I did I probably would've gotten 2 points higher but whatever lol.

How do you guys rate Examkrackers physics?

Physics was always one of my weaker areas and when I looked at examcrackers it just didn't explain things thoroughly enough I needed more concepts to be explained in better detail. Princeton and Kaplan due a good job with Berkley giving you the most detail. So if you have a strong physics foundation then examcrackers is okay.

Physics was always one of my weaker areas and when I looked at examcrackers it just didn't explain things thoroughly enough I needed more concepts to be explained in better detail. Princeton and Kaplan due a good job with Berkley giving you the most detail. So if you have a strong physics foundation then examcrackers is okay.
Okay, I have TPR as well so I might use that one instead. Physics is my weak area as well, I don't remember anything haha. Was 5 years ago

From my experience so far amongst practice exams, dimensional analysis in MCAT physics will get you a long way. If you are given a few different numbers and can figure out how to match them together to get the target unit, you'll do alright for in my opinion, probably half of the section. Definitely know equations like

c=f*wavelength
photon energy=h*f
V=IR
V=Ed

just to name a few..

Dreading studying for physics, took it 3 yrs ago. It took me multiple days to get through chapter 1, I should start watching khan videos.

I found Khan videos excruciatingly tedious and a waste of time given that they are not meant for the MCAT. Chad's videos are better, still not 100% for the MCAT. Rather than watching videos, your time would be much better spent practicing with questions and learning how to answer AAMC type of questions. Khan passages were generally nothing like the actual MCAT. I haven't heard too many people ever say that they were a good resource for passages, except for P/S. Memorizing equations and using flash cards for physics might be the biggest waste of time of all.

Consider everyone's input in your thread, but keep in mind that we all had different exams and different experiences. To me, much of what I've read in this thread is completely and totally wrong. But again, that's based of my experience.

There is less physics compared to the old mcat I believe (but just a little less). And as opposed to getting classical/pure physics passages, the new mcat takes physics and creates a passage that is physics applied to biology or biochemistry for the most part. But nonetheless, physics is still present and about 40% of the Physical science section (correct me if I am wrong, I think it might be 35%)

You asked to be told if you were wrong, and well... you are wrong. According to the official AAMC book it is 25% physics (listed on page 166.) The old MCAT also mixed physics with other topics and to be brutally honest, I couldn't tell much difference in physics between the old exam versus the new exam. I can recall one traditional physics passages and one biophysics hybrid and some free standing questions. The amount of everything, not just physics, varies with each exam. Anyone taking this exam should be ready for every subject and not be surprised by anything they get.

I found Khan videos excruciatingly tedious and a waste of time given that they are not meant for the MCAT. Chad's videos are better, still not 100% for the MCAT. Rather than watching videos, your time would be much better spent practicing with questions and learning how to answer AAMC type of questions. Khan passages were generally nothing like the actual MCAT. I haven't heard too many people ever say that they were a good resource for passages, except for P/S. Memorizing equations and using flash cards for physics might be the biggest waste of time of all.

Consider everyone's input in your thread, but keep in mind that we all had different exams and different experiences. To me, much of what I've read in this thread is completely and totally wrong. But again, that's based of my experience.

You asked to be told if you were wrong, and well... you are wrong. According to the official AAMC book it is 25% physics (listed on page 166.) The old MCAT also mixed physics with other topics and to be brutally honest, I couldn't tell much difference in physics between the old exam versus the new exam. I can recall one traditional physics passages and one biophysics hybrid and some free standing questions. The amount of everything, not just physics, varies with each exam. Anyone taking this exam should be ready for every subject and not be surprised by anything they get.

Thank you for your correction, but still it doesn't take away from the fact that physics can not be neglected by any means. And I stressed concepts which is why videos might be helpful for someone since physics is applied concepts. But to say that someone shouldn't know the formulas for physics is not very good advice now you are just leading him astray. Someone else said that not spending time on physics hurt his score and he was absolutely telling the truth. How can someone possibly rearrange formulas and use dimensional analysis (like someone else said) if he doesn't have a good understanding of what they are to begin. There really aren't that many crucial formulas to know so saying that is a little misleading as someone else pointed out some important formulas. From my experience, when I took the old MCAT I did not have any physics applied to biological concepts and the old study material and old AAMC exams reflect that. I didn't really see anyone on this thread give advice that was wrong, besides you telling him to not know the equations which might hurt his score.

Last edited:
Hi @Golden-Future --

The #1 thing I would say about MCAT physics (as echoed by some of the other posters in this thread) is the importance of getting realistic practice of how the MCAT likes to test physics. Although some passages may be more physics-heavy and some more biophysics-heavy, the common denominator is that multiple-choice passage-based questions feel very different from how you were likely tested on physics in the past. The format (including the lack of a calculator), pace, and breadth of the MCAT are all strikingly different from how physics coursework tends to work. Speaking in general terms, the MCAT tends to reward the ability to read a question carefully, figure out exactly what it's asking, and leverage passage info in combination w/ outside knowledge to solve it in the most efficient possible way, making estimations when needed. As others have mentioned, second-semester physics concepts tend to come up frequently.

So with that in mind, what you don't want to do is spend hours and hours working through (for instance) agonizing equilibrium problems when you're balancing the torques of multiple objects on a ramp at some angle that's sliding across a surface with a certain coefficient of kinetic friction while rotating on a string (I'm exaggerating to some extent, but you know what I mean), only to get frustrated and burnt out and skimp on reviewing key second-semester physics topics like sound, electricity, waves, E=hf and how it's applied, etc. On one hand, I can't guarantee you that you absolutely couldn't get some complicated nightmare-from-physics-101 type question, but I can guarantee you that you should absolutely have a solid conceptual understanding of second-semester physics, including key equations and units. So like with everything in MCAT prep, you have to prioritize. Again, though, the key point is to practice, practice, practice, and to review that practice carefully to identify what they're testing and how, and then to utilize that info to structure how you prepare.

Hope this is helpful, & best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks guys! Im just worried im gonna end up spending so much time on content review and wind up with less time to practice and strategize.

Do you guys recommend we memorize the kinematic eqtns and others from the first semester of physics? I havent had second semester yet (starts in 2 weeks) so I was wondering what I should be reviewing from first sem in the meantime. I know vectors are common, as is pressure. Just not sure about kinematics and projectile motion and things like that.

Do you guys recommend we memorize the kinematic eqtns and others from the first semester of physics? I havent had second semester yet (starts in 2 weeks) so I was wondering what I should be reviewing from first sem in the meantime. I know vectors are common, as is pressure. Just not sure about kinematics and projectile motion and things like that.

Kinematics and projectile motion stuff is less, but could be tested on. The electricity stuff, magnetism, waves those are kind of higher yeild in my opinion but again that doesn't mean neglect. Understand the concepts for kinematics is more critical but you should for sure know acceleration, velocity, force that kind of stuff.

And for the first question, practice practice practice. Don't spend so much time on content review that it eats up time for practice questions (which should also be done as you review) and practice exams. Your studying should at least be more like 50/50 at least.

Kinematics and projectile motion stuff is less, but could be tested on. The electricity stuff, magnetism, waves those are kind of higher yeild in my opinion but again that doesn't mean neglect. Understand the concepts for kinematics is more critical but you should for sure know acceleration, velocity, force that kind of stuff.

And for the first question, practice practice practice. Don't spend so much time on content review that it eats up time for practice questions (which should also be done as you review) and practice exams. Your studying should at least be more like 50/50 at least.

So how do you recommend I study physics? If online videos are too detailed (I agree, based on what I’ve watched), are the test prep books worth buying or are those too detailed too? I’ve begun practice passages, but I’m so lost on content that I feel like the practice isnt doing me much good.

So how do you recommend I study physics? If online videos are too detailed (I agree, based on what I’ve watched), are the test prep books worth buying or are those too detailed too? I’ve begun practice passages, but I’m so lost on content that I feel like the practice isnt doing me much good.

I wouldn't recommend to jump right into practice passages without having done review. I honestly don't know if there is any way around the content review I think it is something that just has to be done. Since your worried about too much detail then maybe try to find examcrackers books they are on the "less Detailed" side of the spectrum so to speak. Just open the book and get started working through it it doesn't sound like much I know but you have to start somewhere most test companies are good its just more about preference.

If you're good with numbers and units, like me, and struggle/lazy at memorizing ALLL the formulas, again just like me, you can just match up all the givens and constants' units and figure if you should multiply or divide with them. It's hard to explains, but for me I got away just fine by doing this

Reactions: 2 users

Definitely get a review book. I loved TPR physics. I would only watch videos if there is a certain topic you’re just not understanding on you own. Otherwise it is way too time inefficient.

I worked though chapters from three different books at first to decide which was right for me. I did this for reasons that this thread epitomizes. We all see things differently, so trusting a general opinion from one person who may have a completely different background than you and possibly didn't do that well seemed crazy. I needed to see for myself which was best for me.

The majority opinion seems to be that videos are a waste of time, because they cover material in a way that is not conducive to the MCAT. You need rapid review of key points not drawn out lectures. For me, I liked skimming the review material in my book and then jumping into practice passages. It worked out quite nicely doing this, not just for me, but pretty much everyone who has authored a how to get a high score thread. For physics, I loved TBR because it was just the right amount of details combined with some genius shortcuts. Every chapter taught me a faster and better way to get questions right. And that, after all, is exactly what preparing for the MCAT is about. Getting questions right in a timely manner.

No matter what anyone chooses as their content review source, nothing beats Berkley Review passages for the sciences. Their answers are worth their weight in gold. You will learn more about the topics from their answers than anywhere else.