how much podiatry in PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancepod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone!!!

Have a question about the personal statement for pod applications.

I have shadowed a TON of docs, but not many podiatrists, but I shadowed enough to know that its what i would like to do. So my question is, does my personal statement need to include a lot about shadowing experiences and podiatry? Mine currently includes what inspired me to do medicine (teaching) and what the most attractive aspects of podiatry are to me. :confused:

Please let me know what you think!! Have a wonderful day everyone!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote mine kind of telling my journey on how I decided I wanted to pursue podiatry. I am currently applying so this is only my opinion, not what I learned through a prior experience. But, most of the schools I have talked to want to know why you want to study podiatric medicine rather than any other specialty. If you have personal experiences you can add in I am sure it will help. Don't forget to try and portray who you are as well. If you only put why you want to go to podiatry school you wont be separating yourself from other applications very well.

I think that's the way to go. Your personal statement should be heartfelt and talk about the journey and what makes you have a passion for podiatry. It should broadly answer: why podiatry, and why would you be a good podiatric physician? You can list your experience in another section in the application and trust me, they definitely look at it. You're fortunate to have a good amount of experience! When I was applying, I didn't talk about experience in my PS. In the interview they asked about it and I elaborated, so my advice is to not worry about including it in your PS. Good luck! :)