How much Step1 material is covered in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMightyAngus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much Step 1 material was actually covered in your med school curriculum? 60%, 80%, 95%?

When I go through first aid, I'm familiar with maybe 2/3 of the material. Probably less. Primary deficiencies are in path and pharm. But I catch holes in every subject.

I feel like I'm gonna have to teach myself a ton of material before test day. I'm still an MSI, but my school is on a condensed curriculum and I use FA as a way to figure out what's important. Lately, it seems I'm doing a substantial amount of "extra" work to make sure I cover it all.

Anyone else felt the same way?

Members don't see this ad.

Path and pharm are traditionally M2 topics, so I wouldn't start worrying yet.

What do you mean by condensed curriculum?

Path and pharm are traditionally M2 topics, so I wouldn't start worrying yet.

Our curriculum is organized by organ system, so we do path+pharm+phys, etc. all at the same time.

What do you mean by condensed curriculum?

1.5 year basic sciences. Take boards in Feb.

Yes, I know what you mean, our curriculum is pretty crammed too but not as tight as yours. We finished in February and get 6 weeks off for the boards.

Biochem and Molecular are where I'm noticing the largest deficiencies but there are definitely others here and there during the organ based curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel exactly the opposite. My school teaches everything listed in FA and then ten times more. We are in neuro and our syllabus for the 3 week block is well over 600 pages. First aid neuro is like 40.

Imagine if a school adopted a "Two year step 1 board prep" mentality. Their students would clean up. Instead I am stuck reading page after page of useless detail. (and then trying to remember it when they test on it)

Anyone else felt the same way?

It depends. Our Phys is pretty excellent, as is our Pharm and Biochemistry.

Anatomy leaves a bit to be desired, and our systems-based path flat out sucks. I could have memorized every last bit of detail in our systems path and if it wasn't for Goljan, Robbins, and Cecil, I'd have no shot at passing boards.

Every time I see a % sign or data from a randomized controlled trial cited, I feel another neuron die.