How much time is needed to study for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalWoman

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a predental student this is my last year and I plan on taking my DAT in the spring of 2001. I work during the day and school at night. I was wondering how much time is needed to be invested in studying for the DAT. If anyone recently has taken the DAT what is your input on the test it self? And the time and materials you used to prepare for the DAT ... The information would be greatly apprecated.

Sincerely, Test anixety

Members don't see this ad.

I'm scheduled to take my DAT next week.
I took Kaplan's prep course and I also have TopScore Pro's CDrom (has 3 full length DAT) for additional practice. I really think the time needed to study for the DAT depends on how much you already know. If you have a really strong bio, gchem or ochem background, you may not have to study much for that particular section. Some people are not very good with 3D visualizations, so they need lots of PAT practice. If I were you, I would take a diagnostic to see what kind of scores I get without any studying.

Chocobo did you feel the Kaplan was worth the money invested for the course? I thought about taking it as well as buy the Top Score CD. Thank you for your input it is greatly appreciated..Good luck on your DAT test. prayer goes with you.
Originally posted by chocobo:
I'm scheduled to take my DAT next week.
I took Kaplan's prep course and I also have TopScore Pro's CDrom (has 3 full length DAT) for additional practice. I really think the time needed to study for the DAT depends on how much you already know. If you have a really strong bio, gchem or ochem background, you may not have to study much for that particular section. Some people are not very good with 3D visualizations, so they need lots of PAT practice. If I were you, I would take a diagnostic to see what kind of scores I get without any studying.

I think Kaplan was worth the money because I don't feel that there are any other efficient ways to prepare for the DAT. Going to class was not too helpful for me. It depends on who you get as your instructor. Some instructors are better than others. If you get a bad instructor, you can watch the video lessons instead. The video lesson instructor was much better than the one I had. The best thing about Kaplan is the big fat review book you get and the numerous subject tests available. The review book covers alot of material which I think are pertinent to the DAT. So if you've never learned about a particular subject (say, classification in bio), you can read and learn about it from the review book without having to read through a regular college text book that covers way too much info than you really need to know for the DAT. The subject tests are nice as well. You just get more practice. But you have to take those things at Kaplan, so it's a little inconvenient. You can get alot out of Kaplan, if you want to (like watch all the video lessons, take all the paper subject tests, take all the computerized workshops, go to all lessons, do everything in your review book).

Topscore CDrom is nice for additional full-length computerized test practice.

I've also heard people recommend other materials (books) for PAT, sciences, and ochem. I can't remember the names though.

HTH. And thx for your prayers! I will be needing it
smile.gif