How much weight does MCAT carry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhillstr

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my scores and finished my AACOMAS application. My GPA calculated LOWER than I thought. I check and rechecked but it seems to be correct. I have a 3.4 science and 3.0 non-science. There is an improving trend. My MCAT came back 33 (9, 13, 11, 0). I did volunteer work and research, but I really wonder if the GPA thing is going to kill me? Can the MCAT help THAT MUCH?
Thanks All.

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT scores sound great, and I would apply. The 3.4 science GPA is about avearge at most schools, and I don't think the 3.0 non-science GPA will hurt you too much. Just be prepared to answer any question in an interview as to why the GPA's might be low. I would send in your app to as many schools as possible today.

Good luck,
Steve

I think that the overall combination of your GPA (science and non science) and the MCAT scores is good. I would apply without a worry, and I think you will get lots of interviews.

With that MCAT score you shouldn't have a problem. Start working on your interview skills and remember to just be honest. I think you will be surprised about how many interviews you are going to get.

Good Luck.