Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hard to imagine.I guess that tells us what she was wearing on the plane was far more embarrassing.
Then again I'm pretty well turned out, even on a plane.
I think it more likely the story apocryphal.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hard to imagine.I guess that tells us what she was wearing on the plane was far more embarrassing.
Does wearing a color other than black make you stand out? Should I wear a navy blue dress or slacks?
There's really no such thing as standing out in a good way fashion wise for medical school interviews. If they remember you for what you wear, you did something wrong. Interviewers are not judging you by how fashionable you are.Thanks LizzyM! I want to stand out but not in a bad way.
At interviews I have seen a lot of black suits and suits with all the buttons done. I thought it was.... cute.
Maybe they do it because they're cold.Wow. I'm still surprised by how many people don't know you're not supposed to button all the buttons on their jacket.
There's really no such thing as standing out in a good way fashion wise for medical school interviews. If they remember you for what you wear, you did something wrong. Interviewers are not judging you by how fashionable you are.
If they're not judging us for how fashionable we are, then why is being fashionable such a bad thing? If a man wears a fitted suit and halfway interesting tie, this stands out against the crowd of horribly fitted black suits most interviewees wear. Yet you think this is a bad thing. I'm not buying it and I've only seen interviewers say here that they find non-black, non-boring suits to be refreshing sights.
You should only wear a black suit to a wedding, a funeral, or an evening formal event.
I agree. This is why I'm contending with DarkJedi's statement that "There's really no such thing as standing out in a good way fashion wise for medical school interviews. If they remember you for what you wear, you did something wrong". I think that by wearing a non-black suit you already are standing out in a good way, and you already are setting yourself up to be remembered for what you wear.
Wow. I'm still surprised by how many people don't know you're not supposed to button all the buttons on their jacket.
I'm always surprised that anyone is unaware that the ribbon-like name brand label attached to the cuff of a coat or jacket is meant to be snipped off before wearing the garment.
My favorite is the X shaped stitch holding the kick-pleat at the back of the skirt.I'm always surprised that anyone is unaware that the ribbon-like name brand label attached to the cuff of a coat or jacket is meant to be snipped off before wearing the garment.
My favorite is the X shaped stitch holding the kick-pleat at the back of the skirt.
One of my students showed up for a residency interview this way. I got a call from the PD...I've definitely forgotten to snip that bad boy on a suit before. It was a jacket that fit me OTR with no alterations.
Fortunately it was just at a wedding and my GF noticed it haha.
Right, but then imagine if their psychiatrist was in scrubs...even less appropriate!
If they're not judging us for how fashionable we are, then why is being fashionable such a bad thing? If a man wears a fitted suit and halfway interesting tie, this stands out against the crowd of horribly fitted black suits most interviewees wear. Yet you think this is a bad thing. I'm not buying it and I've only seen interviewers say here that they find non-black, non-boring suits to be refreshing sights.
If they're not judging us for how fashionable we are, then why is being fashionable such a bad thing? If a man wears a fitted suit and halfway interesting tie, this stands out against the crowd of horribly fitted black suits most interviewees wear. Yet you think this is a bad thing. I'm not buying it and I've only seen interviewers say here that they find non-black, non-boring suits to be refreshing sights.
Plot twist: She was wearing her PJ's on the plane.I guess that tells us what she was wearing on the plane was far more embarrassing.
What are the chances of them thinking, "I like this kid's moxy, smart enough to be comfortable in an interview."
But really, what is the bare minimum of dressing up I have to actually do, assuming a good application?
Wearing a suit and tie shows professionalism. Just think about it, would you want your own doctor to come assess you in a t-shirt and jeans?
Plot twist: She was wearing her PJ's on the plane.
Plot twist: She was wearing her PJ's on the plane.
I interviewed with someone that lost her luggage. She notified the school, but still went to Walmart late night to buy a blouse and dress pants. I think that's the preferred move in that situation. Be an adult and show you can adjust to circumstances.
Unfortunately, as someone in the 99th percentile for height, I couldn't just run to the store and get something. :/
Unfortunately, as someone in the 99th percentile for height, I couldn't just run to the store and get something. :/
Then you would probably be someone who should either wear their suit on the plane or take a garment bag on the plane.
I love events that require formal wear. Gives me a reason to wear a suit without looking like a tool.
Going off topic for a sec. Can you remove your jacket if it gets hot in the interview room or would this be unprofessional.
Didn't expect to get the feels mid-sentence.Oh and newsflash: you will wear a suit at other times in life -- your wedding, your parents funeral, job interviews, in court etc.
😳I'm always surprised that anyone is unaware that the ribbon-like name brand label attached to the cuff of a coat or jacket is meant to be snipped off before wearing the garment.
Didn't expect to get the feels mid-sentence.
I'm sorry, I know for most people this is a long ways away, including myself. But now having lost all my grandparents I suppose I've been thinking about my parents eventual death as well.
(they're the non-healthcare savvy type that believe that someone can just wake up even if they've been on life support).
Oh goodness, I didn't even think of that. That is scary. Glad to know it's not just my parents who are that way. I think if you're not in the medical field, it's hard to wrap your mind on how all these tubes, machines, IVs, central lines, drugs etc. just can't push life back into someone. It doesn't make sense to them, and it doesn't really matter what the education level is either, I've seen. If anything, the more educated, the more they hold on.Mine are EXACTLY the same way. I am still somewhat terrified that if I was ever in a vegetative state or some other issue with a poor prognosis, they would keep me trached/PEGd etc. <shiver>
You're right; my parents have graduate degrees and are very bright so it's not about education in general. Too many Lifetime movies perhaps.Oh goodness, I didn't even think of that. That is scary. Glad to know it's not just my parents who are that way. I think if you're not in the medical field, it's hard to wrap your mind on how all these tubes, machines, IVs, central lines, drugs etc. just can't push life back into someone. It doesn't make sense to them, and it doesn't really matter what the education level is either, I've seen. If anything, the more educated, the more they hold on.
I have these words for all of you: Durable Power of Attorney for Health. This is the only way I know to have your wishes carried out in the event of your loss of capacity.You're right; my parents have graduate degrees and are very bright so it's not about education in general. Too many Lifetime movies perhaps.
When I was a premed working at the VA, I would see these mothers coming in everyday, sitting by the bedside of their sons with TBIs (I think most were self inflicted), talking to them, hanging pictures of the "old days" and it made me sad. I talked with my mother about it and she made some comments about, "a story I heard where they just woke up..." etc. I remember thinking, as one of the vets had been in his injured state for 17 years, almost as long as he was alive before he shot himself, at what point do you say it ain't gonna happen?
At any rate, I've got my wishes written down and communicated to my friends and more realistic family members.
Do you and I share the same mother? (God, I hope not, or it makes my attraction to you icky) Yes - that's exactly it it was - "I heard a story of someone who..." (and of course with the tagline of doctors said he would never make it) and they just wake up. Maybe bc it's always the feeling that the moment the pull the plug it's the feeling of that if they had just waited one moment past that moment all things would have been well. If only.You're right; my parents have graduate degrees and are very bright so it's not about education in general. Too many Lifetime movies perhaps.
When I was a premed working at the VA, I would see these mothers coming in everyday, sitting by the bedside of their sons with TBIs (I think most were self inflicted), talking to them, hanging pictures of the "old days" and it made me sad. I talked with my mother about it and she made some comments about, "a story I heard where they just woke up..." etc. I remember thinking, as one of the vets had been in his injured state for 17 years, almost as long as he was alive before he shot himself, at what point do you say it ain't gonna happen?
At any rate, I've got my wishes written down and communicated to my friends and more realistic family members.
Yep. I have one.I have these words for all of you: Durable Power of Attorney for Health. This is the only way I know to have your wishes carried out in the event of your loss of capacity.
Yep. I have one.
What are the chances of them thinking, "I like this kid's moxy, smart enough to be comfortable in an interview."
But really, what is the bare minimum of dressing up I have to actually do, assuming a good application?

This thread got funny, then dark, then dermviser started hitting on Winged Scap.
10/10.

Not to be confused with Moxibustion.And yes, I had to look up "moxie".
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.