How much would not dressing up for interviews hinder my acceptance rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess that tells us what she was wearing on the plane was far more embarrassing.
Hard to imagine.

Then again I'm pretty well turned out, even on a plane.

I think it more likely the story apocryphal.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Clean white tee
2. Fresh Js
4. Profit

Does wearing a color other than black make you stand out? Should I wear a navy blue dress or slacks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does wearing a color other than black make you stand out? Should I wear a navy blue dress or slacks?

Black became very popular at least 14 years ago and it got to the point where absolutely everyone was wearing it. In the past year or two, I've seen a small but growing proportion of women (and some men) wearing shades of gray. Navy is also a good choice.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks LizzyM! I want to stand out but not in a bad way.
There's really no such thing as standing out in a good way fashion wise for medical school interviews. If they remember you for what you wear, you did something wrong. Interviewers are not judging you by how fashionable you are.

At interviews I have seen a lot of black suits and suits with all the buttons done. I thought it was.... cute.

Wow. I'm still surprised by how many people don't know you're not supposed to button all the buttons on their jacket.

Wow. I'm still surprised by how many people don't know you're not supposed to button all the buttons on their jacket.
Maybe they do it because they're cold.
/notserious

There's really no such thing as standing out in a good way fashion wise for medical school interviews. If they remember you for what you wear, you did something wrong. Interviewers are not judging you by how fashionable you are.

If they're not judging us for how fashionable we are, then why is being fashionable such a bad thing? If a man wears a fitted suit and halfway interesting tie, this stands out against the crowd of horribly fitted black suits most interviewees wear. Yet you think this is a bad thing. I'm not buying it and I've only seen interviewers say here that they find non-black, non-boring suits to be refreshing sights.

If they're not judging us for how fashionable we are, then why is being fashionable such a bad thing? If a man wears a fitted suit and halfway interesting tie, this stands out against the crowd of horribly fitted black suits most interviewees wear. Yet you think this is a bad thing. I'm not buying it and I've only seen interviewers say here that they find non-black, non-boring suits to be refreshing sights.

You should only wear a black suit to a wedding, a funeral, or an evening formal event.

You should only wear a black suit to a wedding, a funeral, or an evening formal event.

I agree. This is why I'm contending with DarkJedi's statement that "There's really no such thing as standing out in a good way fashion wise for medical school interviews. If they remember you for what you wear, you did something wrong". I think that by wearing a non-black suit you already are standing out in a good way, and you already are setting yourself up to be remembered for what you wear.

I agree. This is why I'm contending with DarkJedi's statement that "There's really no such thing as standing out in a good way fashion wise for medical school interviews. If they remember you for what you wear, you did something wrong". I think that by wearing a non-black suit you already are standing out in a good way, and you already are setting yourself up to be remembered for what you wear.

@darkjedi 's statement was a mild exaggeration but you're arguing over a triviality. The sentiment underlying the advice is good.

Yes, in actuality if you are wearing a well-tailored suit and a well-coordinated tie, you will be far above average for the applicant pool and will, in fact, "stand out". But in the world of professional dress all you are striving to do is fit in by meeting the conventions of business attire. The fact that by wearing something that fits in you are actually standing out speaks to the applicant pool, not to you.

This is not what darkjedi meant. What he meant (at least as I perceived it) was that striving to purposefully stand out - to make a "fashion statement" - on the interview day is not going to go well.

Reactions: 6 users

I'm always surprised that anyone is unaware that the ribbon-like name brand label attached to the cuff of a coat or jacket is meant to be snipped off before wearing the garment.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm always surprised that anyone is unaware that the ribbon-like name brand label attached to the cuff of a coat or jacket is meant to be snipped off before wearing the garment.

But I paid 200 dollars for my calvin klein suit!

How would you recognize how awesome I was if I didn't have the name right there?

Reactions: 3 users
My favorite is the X shaped stitch holding the kick-pleat at the back of the skirt.

Reactions: 5 users
I've definitely forgotten to snip that bad boy on a suit before. It was a jacket that fit me OTR with no alterations.

Fortunately it was just at a wedding and my GF noticed it haha.
One of my students showed up for a residency interview this way. I got a call from the PD...
That's when we started having them drop by wearing their interview clothes.

Ahahah. The vents were still basted shut? Aw sad day...

Right, but then imagine if their psychiatrist was in scrubs...even less appropriate!

We're allowed to wear scrubs on inpatient services (medicine, peds, etc) if we work on the weekend or at night...not gonna lie it felt a little strange seeing patients while wearing anything but business casual, but it was sooooo comfy. :)

It depends on the interviewer. My favorite interviewee wore a turquoise shirt, had an amazing personality to go with it, and got accepted. Personally I really like seeing a pop of color, but I admit that I dressed rather plainly for my interviews. Kudos from me if you're bold enough to go for something fashionable and outside the norm, but I think one might face more adversity than benefit. Then again I don't know and don't pay attention to the suit etiquette for men about black suits and buttons buttoned and all that jazz. As long as the suit fits and looks nice, I don't count how many buttons are buttoned or notice if it's black or charcoal :p

Just wear something appropriate. Be fashionable if you want. Don't be flamboyant. Don't be ostentatious.

Reactions: 4 users
What are the chances of them thinking, "I like this kid's moxy, smart enough to be comfortable in an interview."

But really, what is the bare minimum of dressing up I have to actually do, assuming a good application?

Heh what the hell I'm feeling rebellious.

Maybe at a few west coast schools with the right interviewer...

However, most if not all adcoms expect suits. Old school medicine types expect conformity and shun individuality. Don't confuse medicine with science or humanism. Remember, modern medicine is first and foremost a business. Outward appearance and patient satisfaction come first, not patient care. You'll learn this soon enough during the clinical years and residency. If studies came out that said white coats, long sleeve shirts, and ties are fomites that spread infections, many physicians would continue to wear them because of "professionalism."

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/03/doctors-shed-white-coat-tie.html
http://haicontroversies.blogspot.com/2009/03/magical-thinking.html

Honestly, I could care less what you wear.

Actually, never mind, I'd actually respect you more if you didn't dress up an interview.

Unfortunately I don't interview anymore. Maybe when I'm done with residency.

Wearing a suit and tie shows professionalism. Just think about it, would you want your own doctor to come assess you in a t-shirt and jeans?

Yes.

See above. Better than a white coat.

Then again my first rule with patients is always "primum non nocere" not "professionalism."

Plot twist: She was wearing her PJ's on the plane.

I interviewed with someone that lost her luggage. She notified the school, but still went to Walmart late night to buy a blouse and dress pants. I think that's the preferred move in that situation. Be an adult and show you can adjust to circumstances.

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed with someone that lost her luggage. She notified the school, but still went to Walmart late night to buy a blouse and dress pants. I think that's the preferred move in that situation. Be an adult and show you can adjust to circumstances.

Unfortunately, as someone in the 99th percentile for height, I couldn't just run to the store and get something. :/

I love events that require formal wear. Gives me a reason to wear a suit without looking like a tool.

Going off topic for a sec. Can you remove your jacket if it gets hot in the interview room or would this be unprofessional.

What up bro? I'm the opposite. I look for excuses to take off my clothes without looking like a tool. Trying to lifeguard at least once before I hit 29.
You think lifeguarding would look good on an AMCAS job list?

Oh and newsflash: you will wear a suit at other times in life -- your wedding, your parents funeral, job interviews, in court etc.
Didn't expect to get the feels mid-sentence.

I'm sorry, I know for most people this is a long ways away, including myself. But now having lost all my grandparents I suppose I've been thinking about my parents eventual death as well.

lol. No, it's ok. My parents are alive currently, but when I saw that it just reminded me that sooner or later, that time will come for me too. Esp. after ICU months in internship, it's something I've probably consciously blocked out.

Esp. after Joan Rivers (I realize she was 81, but still) dying so suddenly as her daughter was very close to her and worked with her, it reminded me just how unprepared I am for that. And of course, I have the parents in which bringing up the top of signing an advanced directive, brings tears (they're the non-healthcare savvy type that believe that someone can just wake up even if they've been on life support :rage:).

(they're the non-healthcare savvy type that believe that someone can just wake up even if they've been on life support :rage:).

Mine are EXACTLY the same way. I am still somewhat terrified that if I was ever in a vegetative state or some other issue with a poor prognosis, they would keep me trached/PEGd etc. <shiver>

Mine are EXACTLY the same way. I am still somewhat terrified that if I was ever in a vegetative state or some other issue with a poor prognosis, they would keep me trached/PEGd etc. <shiver>
Oh goodness, I didn't even think of that. That is scary. Glad to know it's not just my parents who are that way. I think if you're not in the medical field, it's hard to wrap your mind on how all these tubes, machines, IVs, central lines, drugs etc. just can't push life back into someone. It doesn't make sense to them, and it doesn't really matter what the education level is either, I've seen. If anything, the more educated, the more they hold on.

Oh goodness, I didn't even think of that. That is scary. Glad to know it's not just my parents who are that way. I think if you're not in the medical field, it's hard to wrap your mind on how all these tubes, machines, IVs, central lines, drugs etc. just can't push life back into someone. It doesn't make sense to them, and it doesn't really matter what the education level is either, I've seen. If anything, the more educated, the more they hold on.
You're right; my parents have graduate degrees and are very bright so it's not about education in general. Too many Lifetime movies perhaps.

When I was a premed working at the VA, I would see these mothers coming in everyday, sitting by the bedside of their sons with TBIs (I think most were self inflicted), talking to them, hanging pictures of the "old days" and it made me sad. I talked with my mother about it and she made some comments about, "a story I heard where they just woke up..." etc. I remember thinking, as one of the vets had been in his injured state for 17 years, almost as long as he was alive before he shot himself, at what point do you say it ain't gonna happen?

At any rate, I've got my wishes written down and communicated to my friends and more realistic family members.

You're right; my parents have graduate degrees and are very bright so it's not about education in general. Too many Lifetime movies perhaps.

When I was a premed working at the VA, I would see these mothers coming in everyday, sitting by the bedside of their sons with TBIs (I think most were self inflicted), talking to them, hanging pictures of the "old days" and it made me sad. I talked with my mother about it and she made some comments about, "a story I heard where they just woke up..." etc. I remember thinking, as one of the vets had been in his injured state for 17 years, almost as long as he was alive before he shot himself, at what point do you say it ain't gonna happen?

At any rate, I've got my wishes written down and communicated to my friends and more realistic family members.
I have these words for all of you: Durable Power of Attorney for Health. This is the only way I know to have your wishes carried out in the event of your loss of capacity.

Reactions: 2 users

Do you and I share the same mother? (God, I hope not, or it makes my attraction to you icky) Yes - that's exactly it it was - "I heard a story of someone who..." (and of course with the tagline of doctors said he would never make it) and they just wake up. Maybe bc it's always the feeling that the moment the pull the plug it's the feeling of that if they had just waited one moment past that moment all things would have been well. If only.

Yes, it was at the VA no less, where families are more than happy to continue futile care bc after all the govt. will be the one paying for it. I should probably get my wishes written too as something tells me my wishes will be conveniently missing or forgotten.

I have these words for all of you: Durable Power of Attorney for Health. This is the only way I know to have your wishes carried out in the event of your loss of capacity.
Yep. I have one.

As you note, it's very important. My mother has many incorrect assumptions about me, including one that she and I are of the same mind on things like this issue , politics etc. She has a very difficult time with death (hasn't talked about her parents death since it happened) so could easily see her doing anything to avoid mine, and that coupled with her medical ignorance, makes me believe my fears about what would be done to me very rational.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This thread got funny, then dark, then dermviser started hitting on Winged Scap.

10/10.

What are the chances of them thinking, "I like this kid's moxy, smart enough to be comfortable in an interview."

But really, what is the bare minimum of dressing up I have to actually do, assuming a good application?

*AHEM*

I would love to point out the example sentence that pops up when you google "moxy" (moxie):
Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 10.49.53 AM.png

:=|:-):

I interviewed with someone who wore square tip shoes, grey slacks, white oxford, and a charcoal v-neck sweater. Thought about telling him suits were expected, then realized "hey one less competitor."