How necessary is it to use APA format when writing personal statements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darsha5000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've written a personal statement in which I quote many works. I've made sure to mention the work or person I am referring to in my quotes within the writing itself. The university makes no mention of how to format the paper.

...I suppose I had ought to just ask the university's graduate department.

Thoughts though.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I've written a personal statement in which I quote many works. I've made sure to mention the work or person I am referring to in my quotes within the writing itself. The university makes no mention of how to format the paper.

...I suppose I had ought to just ask the university's graduate department.

Thoughts though.

What "works" are you quoting, in what context, and how many is "many?"

Members don't see this ad :)
The prompt for the personal statement is:

Trace the development of your thinking with respect to psychology as a human science. Emphasize the authors and theories that have had the most impact on your conception of psychology. Discuss how you see the relationship between psychology and cultural diversity.

And the works are books and scholarly articles.

Another school I am applying to makes it explicit that they want references.

The prompt for the personal statement is:

Trace the development of your thinking with respect to psychology as a human science. Emphasize the authors and theories that have had the most impact on your conception of psychology. Discuss how you see the relationship between psychology and cultural diversity.

And the works are books and scholarly articles.

Another school I am applying to makes it explicit that they want references.

In my experience, that's pretty atypical as far as applications and personal statements go. Usually, they just want a personal statement, which is basically like a cover letter for a job application or undergrad application. I would guess to just use APA style since they are psychology programs, but you should probably err on the side of caution and ask the programs directly.

BTW, which was the school that wants references?

In my experience, that's pretty atypical as far as applications and personal statements go. Usually, they just want a personal statement, which is basically like a cover letter for a job application or undergrad application. I would guess to just use APA style since they are psychology programs, but you should probably err on the side of caution and ask the programs directly.

BTW, which was the school that wants references?

City college of New York makes mention of bringing in scholarly literature references. In the personal statement you are supposed to propose the subject you would like to research, and argue for its urgency.

It definitely sounds to me like they expect APA format and citations for those. It reads as unusual to me too, though. Ordinarily you don't need references in a personal statement.

Reactions: 1 user
City college of New York makes mention of bringing in scholarly literature references. In the personal statement you are supposed to propose the subject you would like to research, and argue for its urgency.
They want a personal statement/research proposal? Must be a committee of brilliant people who came up with that one. To answer the question though, I always use APA style in this field unless explicitly told otherwise. I don't even know other styles and have never written anything using them so if someone wanted me to use them, I'd have to buy another book for it.

Reactions: 3 users
So instead of "personal statement" they should just call it "literature review" or "thesis proposal."

I suggest not to go above and beyond on this one. CUNY is a solid program that pumps out ‎great clinicians. I'm sure they don't want you to go overboard (they'll teach you how to do that).

Keep it simple (for example):

When learning about Winnicott's (1953) 'good-enough mother,' I realized that another human being could not and should not completely satisfy the needs of another, otherwise an individual does not learn to rely on their own resources, i.e., an individual must find his/her own way. When considering Winnicott's point, it is compelling to think about Bowlby's (1991, p. 294) "What cannot be communicated to the [m]other cannot be communicated to the self." If a mother is not attuned to her child's needs, that individual may not become attuned to his/her own needs, and may reply on problematic immediate gratification. However, I am applying to graduate school now because I am fully versed in delayed gratification and attuned to my own intrinsic needs of wanting to assist others through discovering their own needs, and what may inspire others towards change.

References:
Winnicott, D. & Khan, M. (1953). Review of Psychoanalytic Studies of the Personality., Int. J. Psychoanal., 34:329-333.
Bowlby J. (1991). Epilogue. In: Parkes CM, Stevenson-Hinde J, Marris P, editors. Attachment Across the Life Cycle. London: Routledge/Tavistock.

Of course, don't quote me or this above...I was just playing around to prove my point to keep it simple.

Last edited:
I suggest not to go above and beyond on this one. CUNY is a solid program that pumps out ‎great clinicians. I'm sure they don't want you to go overboard (they'll teach you how to do that).

Keep it simple (for example):

When learning about Winnicott's (1953) 'good-enough mother,' I realized that another human being could not and should not completely satisfy the needs of another, otherwise an individual does not learn to rely on their own resources, i.e., an individual must find his/her own way. When considering Winnicott's point, it is compelling to think about Bowlby's (1991, p. 294) "What cannot be communicated to the [m]other cannot be communicated to the self." If a mother is not attuned to her child's needs, that individual may not become attuned to their own needs, and may reply on problematic immediate gratification. However, I am applying to graduate school now because I am fully versed in delayed gratification and attuned to my own intrinsic needs of wanting to assist others through discovering their own needs, and what may inspire others towards change.

References:
Winnicott, D. & Khan, M. (1953). Review of Psychoanalytic Studies of the Personality., Int. J. Psychoanal., 34:329-333.
Bowlby J. (1991). Epilogue. In: Parkes CM, Stevenson-Hinde J, Marris P, editors. Attachment Across the Life Cycle. London: Routledge/Tavistock.

Of course, don't quote me or this above...I was just playing around to prove my point to keep it simple.
Oh, and when you start talking about object relations and attachment, the question is always whether to talk about Winnicott's nurturing breast verses the devouring breast or just play it safe and talk about the functional and neurobiological aspects of attachment ala Stern and Schore.

After seeing this great example, now I'm wondering if I need to use APA style in the forum. :D I have the references for Stern and Schore right here in my office since I am a huge fan, but I would have to delve a bit to find the Winnicott reference unless he talked about it in the above mentioned reference.

I shall delete it.
Great!

Usually on SDN, folks ask if others would be willing to review their stuff and private message them. I don't have as much time right now, but someone else may be willing to offer comments about what you wrote (I actually only skimmed it and did not read enough to comment on it before you edited it out - glad you did though; someone may plagiarize, even at this level...you never know).

Ask the university's clinical psych department secretary. You'de be surprised the insights they have into all aspects of the department.

Last edited:
P.S. Always, honestly become friends with the secretaries and the nurses at anywhere you study or work... o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
P.S. Always, honestly become friends with the secretaries and the nurses at anywhere you study or work... o_O
+1 Sage advice. People are always more willing to help someone they like. Often pays off more than being friends with whoever is in charge, although you still might want to be on their good side too. :)

Reactions: 1 users