How often can I see her: LDR

psund

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Ill be starting M1 this coming year, and my fiance and we will be 5 hours apart. We used to be international, so LDR itself is not an issue :) I know my school records their lectures, and I know for a fact this is how I will prefer studying. I can also definitely study around him. Our plan is to take turns each week driving- so I would end up driving down twice a month, with exceptions if I have a test. Is this possible? I really want it to be!

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing each other weekly with a 5 hour distance seems unrealistic IMO, but could be doable. My boyfriend is currently in 1st year med school and we are 8 hours apart. With the exception of the first few months of school, he has tests/assignments/quizzes on a weekly basis, which means he can't afford to spend 16 hours driving over the weekend. If your fiance has a flexible schedule and is willing to do most of the driving, then it could work. I see my boyfriend every 2-3 months and I go to see him 80% of the time.

Monthly weekends will be very doable while juggling other responsibilities. Anything more may put you in a ****ty position academically.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's potentially doable if you two both recognize and accept that while you may be spending your weekends together, a decent chunk of that time may require studying as opposed to going out. Every other week would probably be easier (although with the same caveat). I would start with that and see how it goes and scale up or down depending on how things work out.

Reactions: 1 user
I found that the person not in school visiting once or twice a month is completely doable, but it's not as easy as it seems for the student to do the traveling. Once per block will probably be doable, or once every couple of blocks, especially if you can take a bus and study along the way! It can definitely be tough to be the one visiting every time, so even if you cant make the trip, make sure to tell your s/o that you appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
if there is a way to fly there it may be doable