How often does an AMCAS fail verification, and how bad is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pithy84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your AMCAS Primary Application can fail verification and be refused for various reasons. For instance, if you requested a Transcript Exemption but they deny it, or if they need to change the categorization on more than 10 courses in your Coursework section.

1. How often do AMCAS Primary Applications actually fail verification?

2. How bad are the consequences? Do you need to wait another full 4 weeks for it to verify again? Do they fast-track it if there was only one small problem and you made that one change?

I am terrified my AMCAS Primary Application will fail verification, but I know I just need to wait.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I am hoping to decline more like 12 levels on the stressometer. One part of anxiety mitigation is to learn more about your possible future. If you have no idea what the future holds, you can worry about absolute catastrophes that are absolutely impossible.

So I am taking the rational step of learning how likely this risk is and how bad it would be if it happened.

Trying to ignore it is sometimes impossible. Dismissing the intrusive thoughts is easier when you have firm data about how irrational the fears are.

Members don't see this ad :)
But seriously. My original question remains. How often does the AMCAS get refused during the verification process?

More than one anecdotal piece of evidence would be nice.

I got verified with changes made to my coursework but I didn't have to resubmit. I'm pretty sure if at all possible, AMCAS makes the changes themselves and mark the classes as edited on your app (i.e. changing a handful course categories). Requiring an entire transcript might be a different question.

My (also anecdotal) knowledge from a handful of previous applicants also says no one had to resubmit, but most of them had something or the other changed slightly.

You'll be fine, my friend. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I am hoping to decline more like 12 levels on the stressometer. One part of anxiety mitigation is to learn more about your possible future. If you have no idea what the future holds, you can worry about absolute catastrophes that are absolutely impossible.

So I am taking the rational step of learning how likely this risk is and how bad it would be if it happened.

Trying to ignore it is sometimes impossible. Dismissing the intrusive thoughts is easier when you have firm data about how irrational the fears are.
No one will have data on this except maybe AMCAS (if they keep track of this stuff). It is very hard to fail verification. You would need to mistype 25% of your courses on the app. My bet is that the vast majority do not have any corrections after submiting (all you have to do to avoid errors is to type exactly what you see on your transcript like an elementary school student can do).

You need to find a way to manage your stress because this process is going to eat you up if you freak out about each step. I'm finishing up this process and it is long. Really long. And you are going into a high stress field filled with high stakes standards that are not in your control, so you should learn to manage things now.

HOW are you going to survive med school if you're already this stressed out over the app process?

Reactions: 1 users
All of you are misinterpreting my level of anxiety. I will admit that I am somewhat anxious about this, but I am certainly not freaking out.

I understand, it is hard for you to see that (or possibly hard to believe) because you can only read what I write. You cannot see my calm demeanor or hear the calm tone of my voice.

I was somewhat worried so I asked the question. Then I read other threads. Then I got an alert and I replied. Then I logged off and literally didn't think about it for four days, but when I thought about it I decided to bump this thread, because at that point I was genuinely curious as well as a little anxious. Then I forgot about it for two more days.

This is not plaguing my thoughts, haunting me every moment. If you think I am freaking out about this, you are simply incorrect.

Reading my own posts, I am honestly not sure why anyone thinks I am freaking out. Is it because failing verification is so rare? If so, keep in mind I did not know that when I started the thread.

My original thread can be restated like this:

"How common is this? I think it might be very rare, in which case I can easily stop worrying. But even if it is common, I will find a way to stay relaxed."

I am actually better in a crunch and not as good at waiting. I absolutely do not anticipate problems making life-or-death decisions in the hospital, and several of the doctors I have shadowed agree with this.

I will admit that waiting for my MCAT score was tough, which may shine through on some of my SDN posts. But I was never freaking out by any means.

Don't you want a doctor who sweats the details, at least when they have a suspicion it might be a very important detail? I want a doctor like that.

People may have interpreted this as me freaking out:

I am hoping to decline more like 12 levels on the stressometer. One part of anxiety mitigation is to learn more about your possible future. If you have no idea what the future holds, you can worry about absolute catastrophes that are absolutely impossible.

Two points: First, the stressometer is not standardized by the ISO, so it is unclear how stressed I was. 12 levels is ill-defined, that is a joke.

Second, my statement "you can worry about absolute catastrophes that are absolutely impossible" was a statement of objective fact that was not referring to me and not referring to this situation. That is why I used the pronoun "you", in this context referring to a hypothetical unspecified human. I absolutely never said "it will be a catastrophe if my AMCAS fails verification", I said that "you" (meaning certain unspecified humans) can worry about catastrophes.

I think you all are worrying about my state of mind too much. I know for a fact that I am not worrying about failing the AMCAS more than a tiny bit.

inb4 someone says I am worrying too much about what you think of me. I will not say that I don't care what you think of me. I will say this: I care only a little bit, I don't know you. I am not entirely sure why I am trying to convince you that I am not freaking out, it might just be boredom.

I had a bunch of my classes (I think it was literally all of them) changed from honors to not honors, but that didn't delay verification. I also had a couple of classes change categories, which also didn't delay verification. In fact, I've never heard of anyone, in real life or on sdn that had a failed verification.

You had to make two separate posts to tell us that you're not stressing out?

People may have interpreted this as me freaking out:

Two points: First, the stressometer is not standardized by the ISO, so it is unclear how stressed I was. 12 levels is ill-defined, that is a joke.

Second, my statement "you can worry about absolute catastrophes that are absolutely impossible" was a statement of objective fact that was not referring to me and not referring to this situation. That is why I used the pronoun "you", in this context referring to a hypothetical unspecified human. I absolutely never said "it will be a catastrophe if my AMCAS fails verification", I said that "you" (meaning certain unspecified humans) can worry about catastrophes.

I think you all are worrying about my state of mind too much. I know for a fact that I am not worrying about failing the AMCAS more than a tiny bit.

inb4 someone says I am worrying too much about what you think of me. I will not say that I don't care what you think of me. I will say this: I care only a little bit, I don't know you. I am not entirely sure why I am trying to convince you that I am not freaking out, it might just be boredom.

Reactions: 1 users