How often should I study for the DAT right now while taking classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This past summer (of 2009) I read thry CliffsAP bio once. I've read thru Kaplan BB gen chem, and math section once. I'm almost done watching Chad's OChem videos. I've looked a little bit at Kaplan BB PAT section. I am currently taking Ochem 2 this semester...
I was going to take the DAT this spring break which is in about 1 month from now, but I still feel like I'm not ready. I want to take it soon because if I score poorly, I want to be able to take it again this June or July so I can assure myself a chance at getting into dental school. I feel like I barely have enough time during this semester to study for the DAT, since I'm spending so much time studying for classes. How often should I be studying for the DAT right now?

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is up to you. No one knows how well you retain information. If it were me and I ready through all that stuff already I would feel prepared. However, you are right. It is hard to work in time to study for it during the semester. I would study for it on the weekends and set aside a few hours during the week. You could push back the date you take the DAT and if you do poorly you can still have time to retake it. The AADSAS can be submitted without the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
have you taken any practice DATs?

no i have not yet....though this is something i probably need to do sometime in the next couple of weeks, huh?

no i have not yet....though this is something i probably need to do sometime in the next couple of weeks, huh?

Goodness yes... i would do as many full lengths as you can fit in without burning yourself out.. maybe 2 per week or at least once a weekend until your test date.. studying by reading notes is one thing, but the test itself is exhausting so a lot of it is conditioning your brain to maintain a high level of thinking for 4.5 hours. topscore, kaplan full lengths, crack dat math and crack dat pat (not full lengths but still very good for practice) are all good options. good luck!